IGNORED

The ANY Role

Bleeders

Another team walking to the title (well done to Wanderers) this season, but isn't it getting a bit predictable?! I can't remember for certain, but vaguely recall if it was mooted some time ago about looking at moving the ANY role about instead of having a fixed player all season long?!

Just an idea off the top of my head; @gooner4lifecould be the ANY for City against Wanderers in the first two fixtures of the season, but he wouldn't be able to be the ANY in the resulting second and third fixtures against them. Manager would then have a decision to make regarding who would be the best ANY for certain fixtures. So in theory you would have at least 3 different ANYs throughout the course of a season, but they couldn't appear in the ANY role against the same team more than once (i.e. home/away fixture).

I dunno, probably me getting old and tired of the game, but interested to see if it's something that might gain traction.

It's normally pretty obvious who is going to win the title from the first 2 weeks, normally it's whoever has Jamin playing as the Any, I like Bleeders idea, it keeps it interesting and means everyone get's to have a go as their own pro and everyone get's to see how difficult it can be taking the Any.

Think that's a bit harsh on Wanderers tbh, I haven't done much at all this season, infact Stephen and Gerry (and the wide midfielders) have been tracking back/defending so well I haven't had to do much actual defending :lol:.

I think Bleeders has a point though. I would like to see the league vote on who they think are the top four best 4 ANYs, and then make sure these are divided equally between the four clubs. E.G. This might possibly be Steely, Fennas, Gooner, me.

RE: the proposed plans, I can foresee people getting really annoyed either being the ANY against their will, or having to watch someone not wanting to be the ANY, doing it not brilliantly, and conceding goals aplenty during those two weeks. It'd be hard to sit back and watch.

Btw I think the reason Wanderers stormed this season is that we had a system from the start and stuck to it. We didn't change positions or owt, we learned how each other played and worked from there. We also almost always had everyone on... which seems to be key. In other words if you're not on so much don't expect yourself to be in high demand come transfer window.

The other option of course is for no teams to have an ANY and we just use AI. But that's not ideal either tbh...

Wanderers stuck to their plan and executed it well over the season, absolutely no doubt. I guess I'm coming from the approach that at least for a season it'd be an interesting experiment to see how it fits. Completely agree about the AI ANY, that'd be a freakin' disaster - it's bad enough with the keepers!!!

As Gooner said, gives the curreny ANY chaps a go with their Pros too. Completely understand that some won't want to do the ANY role, which is fair enough, but do you think having at least 3 members per team who would be happy to play the role is achievable?

There's always going to be a debate about team parity and ways to solve it, the ANY role is just one of those factors and subjectively choosing "the best four" isn't the most ideal way to do it. Some people can't play the game often, some people don't play clubs, some people play FUT etc. It doesn't necessarily translate.

I hadn't even looked at the league until just now, I didn't realise that one team had walked away with it and everyone else was in negative goal difference so it does need looking at.

I like a simple rule that: The ANY can't be the same two weeks in a row. Other than that, I wouldn't bother with much else. A good team is more effective than a good ANY.

I've suggested in the past teams with dominant players should get significant multipliers added to their cost if that factors in, though I have no idea how teams are picked these days.

I can't actually Believe what I'm reading ? It's a game of FIFA .. Managers got to pick there teams at the start of the season and you work with what you got . Jamin was not even picked first , fennas was first picked from the draft. Why should there be new rules added everytine something don't go the way that someone wants it to ? It's gone from online team play with no rules , to possibly having to fuck with your team every week Coz grown men are whinging .. :mellow:

I blame Jamin. He is the leagues biggest anomaly.

In 30 seasons, he has finished top in 17 of those, and runner up in 8.

Rather than the any though, the most apparent thing to me, is how Wanderers could put such a formidable team together, this isnt a team of also rans melded together to make a winning team! Its bloody Galacticos! They ended up with 3 marque players in one team and some other very good players around that. 

I say we need a pool system for the draft, to prevent things like this happening and protect managers from themselves a little bit to stop some players being picked ahead of others as its completely thrown the balance of this entire season. (And the managers should also fall into the pool.)

You know... like a Bronze/Silver/Gold System. ;)

Rather than doing this by ratings, it should be the opinion of a group of people, who all get a vote on what players should land in which pot. This can be a commitee of sorts or a vote open to the whole league. Either way I think it would give us a good pooling system.

I don't know if it needs changing ^_^ I definately did not pick the best team this season but i've still enjoyed it (aside from the odd week where we just couldn't seem to put it in the net whatever we tried). But that's on my head not being part of the league long enough to know who the good players are and who the players are that never turn up etc.

Lets kick @Jamin out of the league, he's simply too good for us :P

Nah I don't know how you could make it even unless one person (i.e. Tom distributed players out based on their season before?)

There's not a lot you can do, there's always a risk it will happen. Even if you put more "rules" in place there's always going to be a season here and there that 1 team will run away with it surely?

I think the reason they have won so convincingly is as Jamin said. Most of their team have been consistantly been on and they got their system down early on. ^_^

Nobodies crying about it Baz, just something bleeders and the rest of us discussed ages back, we were actually top at the time, think it might have been the game you scored the 5 minute hattrick against us. 

I didnt want the any as I get horrible button delay but Sladey wouldn't be comfortable playing as the Any against You, Vinnie, Satnav and Jamin as the Any, we were just having a chat about how you could avoid that at least once a season.

nobody was chucking toys or anything, as bleeds said it has sparked off an interesting discussion.

so when are we going to ban Jamin from playing Thursday Bap? :lol:

4 minutes ago, Bleeders said:

Why did we ditch the pooling system again, I forget?

Cheers for the thoughts chaps. It's prompted some interesting views :)

So from next season, do the player values come back into the fold @tomakasatnav as per FIFA 15/16 after the initial draft seasons?!

Just went for a purists approach I think.

Not meaning to knock you Luseth I know your relatively new and stepped into the mangers role when no one else would, but the 3 pool idea would give the less experienced managers a steer on who they should pick, when it comes to like the top 8 players. Plus if a manager was in the top 8 catagory! (Looking at Baz) he wouldnt end up with another 2 in his team.

There have been other seasons where teams have ran away with it, mainly involving Jamin. (He should be worth 2 good players actually :P) but never to this extent that I know of.

Bastards. Proper lynch mob here :lol:. I think most of the guys I mentioned - @Steely @gooner4life (because of his lag probs) @BiGBaZ96 @Fennas3 would prob all prefer to be their own individual man. @GrahamDunn too, I've no idea if he likes doing it or just does it anyway.

One big downside to doing ANY Is that your pro generally doesn't get involved in stuff if he's offensive minded, which is a ballache (I find if he is CAM it's less of a problem than any other position like RAM/LAM/ST).
Also I reckons most folk don't like doing the ANY, and if you don't like doing it and playing regularly you don't get better at it. Not saying I'm fucking amazing but I'm far far better now than I was on release.

Back when I used to play 1v1, playing 1v1 and doing clubs ANY is pretty massively different imo.

Anyways Steels right though, some kind of 3 pool idea for next season would be ideal. I would've thought a group of 3-4 of us to equally divide up people could get it right. Just group all the players into that and when it comes to team pick could be each team picks 1 from gold, then next round all pick 1 from silver, then 1 from bronze, and so on...

39 minutes ago, Jamin said:

Cheers @Baring, if I played FIFA 24/7 I'd go literally insane. It's the small wins, things like murdering Graham's guy twice in one match which gets me through the tough times.

On the subject of events that happen twice in a match - good penalties in the final game last night.....

37 minutes ago, tcharliel said:

I know what you mean Jamin. I still try and do it even when he's on my team.

Well, I suppose you can take solace from the fact that you've managed to tackle at least one person this season.

3 hours ago, Bleeders said:

So from next season, do the player values come back into the fold @tomakasatnav as per FIFA 15/16 after the initial draft seasons?!

Yep! I haven't got down to specifics yet (in terms of budgets, how many players you can keep etc.) because we'll be starting again after Christmas / New Years but we'll have some G/S/B and an early January transfer window.

It's a tough one, on the one hand we want balance and the other we want people to enjoy playing. Whilst Jamin has been typically solid as the ANY, Baz has been pretty much been unplayable upfront. He's been the difference in most of the games, just look at the number of goals he's scored. 

I would say at least half of them has been him been a greedy wee shite and creating something out of nothing rather than taking the easy pass. 

Buchy was our other ace in the hole as his crossing has been amazing and the rest of us have been solid throughout the season. 

How about we have a couple of trial games with no ANY? It might not be perfect but if we're looking to limit the impact of a good ANY it's possibly worth exploring as an option.