IGNORED

Gwent, The Witcher Card Game - Open Beta

strawdonkey

logo-en.16.png

http://www.playgwent.com

Originally a diversion in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, the standalone version of Gwent is currently in Open Beta!

Download from the PS4 or XBox One stores, or register for the PC version at playgwent.com.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-gb/games/gwent-the-witcher-card-game-–-public-beta/cid=EP4497-CUSA08234_00-0000000000000002

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/p/gwent-the-witcher-card-game-game-preview/9nblggh51qt4

The fuck is this

Gwent is a free-to-play 1v1 card game in The Witcher universe.

How do I Gwent

There's a nice little how-to-play on playgwent.com, and a good tutorial video below:

https://www.playgwent.com/en/#/howToPlay/board

What sets this apart

Gwent's main mechanic lies in its round structure, and persistence between rounds. A match of Gwent is played as a best-of-three; to win a round, you need to have units on the board that have more combined strength (the number at the top left of the unit) than your opponent. The catch is, you're given ten cards to do this with, and other than a small top-up between rounds, won't draw any extras. Do you push for a big score in the first round at the cost of having fewer cards available for the remainder? Goad your opponent into playing more cards to start the next round with a surplus?

Success in Gwent relies on planning and decisiveness. Once you feel you've amassed enough of a lead (or are too far behind) you can pass the turn without playing a card. At this point you are out of the round and leave your opponent with free rein to complete the round as they see fit, with no danger of further interaction.

At present there are five factions to choose from, each with their own cardsets and special abilities:

Monsters: Big dumb creatures, and/or several little dumb creatures. Ability allows one unit to remain between rounds

Northern Realms: Buffs, healing and resurrection. Ability makes your gold cards more powerful

Scoia'tael: Ambushes and cards with no restriction on placement. Ability lets you choose who goes first at the start of the game

Skellige: Units that benefit from having their strength reduced. Ability makes all your base units stronger in later rounds of the game

Nilfgaard: Spies! Subterfuge! I have no idea what their ability does and should probably find out

Patch 0.8.16 came out yesterday: https://www.playgwent.com/en/news#3370

It fixes a bunch of really tedious stuff, most notably the Monster Faction ability. When it kept gold units on the table, it led to quite a lot of first games that went something like this:

- Geralt

- Pass

This would lead to you most likely being at a card deficit, and The Enemy starting the second round with a Geralt.

The leaders being downgraded so they're cheaper to craft is also a great idea. Prior to this patch I've yet to play against any leader other than the defaults provided when you first start.

Just now, strawdonkey said:

Patch 0.8.16 came out yesterday: https://www.playgwent.com/en/news#3370

It fixes a bunch of really tedious stuff, most notably the Monster Faction ability. When it kept gold units on the table, it led to quite a lot of first games that went something like this:

- Geralt

- Pass

The leaders being downgraded so they're cheaper to craft is also a great idea. Prior to this patch I've yet to play against any leader other than the defaults provided when you first start.

Yea.  The game is fairly basic but they're still planning on implementing new cards for each faction, as well as adding Nilfgaardian faction in the future.  Probably balancing all the spy cards still, as there's only a few in the remaining factions, but Nilfgaard was basically the spy deck.

Spies are kind of phased out of the game at this point. It's now more about whether a card is loyal/disloyal/both (ie which side of the board they can be placed on). There's plenty of disloyal non-spy cards and several loyal cards that can draw from your deck much like spies in original gwent could.

I could be wrong, but I think I heard that the main strategy for new Nilfgaard will revolve around abilities that allow you to look at/manipulate cards in your opponent's hand/deck (which sounds closer to actual spying)

I got added to the closed beta too! It's got an annoying tutorial which needs the ability to say "I played Witcher 3, thanks", especially as the Witcher 3 didn't have any tutorial and you had to figure it out for yourself.

The UI feels a bit worse than the Witcher 3 at the moment, with not much animation for different spell effects and being locked to 1080p max, and it needs the Hearthstone thing of seeing the past few actions because the opponent will play a card, you'll lose some guys and have to dig through their graveyard to see what the card was and what it says it did.

I'm surprised there aren't more decks, you'd think there'd be enough design space to split the Wild Hunt faction out from Monsters, for example. Some of the rules have changed, there are now cards that target manually, so you have stuff like targeted removal and potion buffs. Most of the cards seem brand new or changed in some form.

At the moment it's pretty barebones, there's not much to do other than matchmake and get three wins for your currency. It kinda needs the PvE stuff, Hearthstone had the decks to unlock and the harder enemies to face to unlock extra cards for them to give people an easy ramp up. 

There's also no ability for communication in game, not even Hearthstones little wheel of dialogue choices. There's a nice touch in that you can click a button to say GG afterwards, which gives the opponent some extra rewards and encourages people to be friendly.

6 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

being locked to 1080p max,

Strangely you can change the graphics quality to 4K, so I presume this cap will be raised at some point.

A lot of great points above - my main gripe is that progress is obnoxiously slow, I've basically binned my entire collection of Monster faction for scraps just so I could create a few other cards for the other factions. If you want to build a specific deck without buying cards it'll take a long time.

The most positive thing for me is the variety in deck building. Even amongst the four currently available factions, there's plenty of options for how you want to play.

Scoia'tael have the agile elves, or you can go full dwarven deck, or the ambush style, amongst others. It's really satisfying to be able to see where you're current deck is letting you down and go back and tweak it, or build something that counters the dominant decks.

After starting with Scoia'tael I'm currently playing weather almost exclusively. The reduction in leader card costs in the latest patch means I was able to pick up Dagon which made monster weather even more formidable.

It's a very fun game and they have really built a lot more depth to the version in Witcher 3, progression needs completely rethought though, it just doesn't feel great to lose a few in a row if you have crap cards, making no progress for doing so. It feels punitive.

22 hours ago, Wroth said:

If you win 3 games a day you'll get enough scrap for a new barrel (5 random new cards) each day. Everytime you level up, you have to win more and more games per subsequent level, but it resets back to 3 each day.

Scraps are used for making single cards, and you can mill extra cards for more scraps.

Ores are used to create barrels, which nets you 5 cards.

If you gain a level, you get 100 ores.  If you gain another level in the same day, it drops by 25 ores for each level gained.  100-75-50...

1 barrel of 5 cards is 100 ores.

Never played the original game, but I'm enjoying myself thus far. I really like the rounds element - certainly gives a different twist to proceedings. On the flipside, trying to keep up with TCGs/CCGs can be tiresome, so it remains to be seen how much I'll play it longer-term.

• 2 weeks later...

Plenty of changes and new additions coming in the next patch announced during their stream last night:

https://www.twitch.tv/cdprojektred/v/104418901

The change to clear skies in particular is going to be a huge bonus for my Scoia'tael deck, and they appear to have addressed many of the cards and combos that were becoming a bit too prevalent.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest patch is out, loooooads of nice changes including a load of new animated cards. The new animated Henselt leader card is absolutely superb, if you're familiar with the Sabrina Glevissig story line, you'll love it ^_^

The Scoia'tael ambush style deck has seen some nice changes which i'm extremely happy about, and i'm going to try and find a way to incorporate Dudu in to my deck.

• 1 month later...

Keys seems to be everywhere now, and it's a great time to get involved in the beta with the addition of Nilfgaard.

For those just getting started, CDPR have confirmed there will be a full wipe before open beta and players will be rewarded with card kegs for levels and rank attained. It's a fairly generous amount but shouldn't give the closed beta players who have played a lot a massive advantage over newcomers.

They've also confirmed that any bought kegs (with money not in-game currency) will be returned when it transitions to open beta, so if you had any intention of putting down some money on kegs, there's no harm in doing so now, you'll get a chance to reopen them all soon.

There's no date for open beta yet but people are speculating it'll be after another round of balance changes now that Nilfgaard is out, my guess is March.

I like this. It's snappy and easy to play, but I can see there's a lot of depth in there, despite not having unlocked many new cards so far. In that respect it reminds me quite a bit of Epic Card Game, which is one of my fave real life card games with proper card cards not virtual card cards. It's comfortably my favourite of the recent(ish) spate of high profile card games - Scrolls, Duelyst, Hearthstone etc. Yu Gi Oh's still the best though :o

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Saw on TouchArcade that it looks like there will be a mobile version (common sense, duh) . I'm on the look out for a new card game after deciding to have break from Hearthstone due to a combination of Blizzard's increasing greed and a reliance on RNG clusterfuck games. But couldn't see myself sitting at the telly to play one.

• 4 weeks later...

The Gwent Challenger Tournament was amazing by the way. Really well produced (with the exception of the stream dropping once at a crucial moment), and the commentary was both entertaining and informative.

Full Tournament:

Spoiler

(stream dropped at this point. The end of the last match is included in the highlights video below)

Highlights (includes final result):

Spoiler