rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
davejm

Dishonored 2 - PC performance discussion

I've just started with Dishonored 2; though unfortunately as many are discovering the PC performance isn't too great.  This is all the more jarring for me having just finished playing the first game DLC at 4K DSR and locked and smooth 60fps.

In lieu of an impending patch, I've followed this guide:-

https://www.reddit.com/r/dishonored/comments/5cgaw3/dishonored_2_is_playable_for_me_right_now_here_is/ 

Even during areas where it was hitting a locked 60fps, the frame pacing was all over the please leading to horrid micro stuttering.  Following those above steps has helped, in that all the micro stutter has gone.  Frame rate still tanks down to 45fps in the Throne room; but at least the frame pacing problems seem solved.  I can only get a locked 60fps in the throne room on low settings. :( 

I have a i7-920 @ 4ghz and a 970 btw.  Not the greatest setup, but still decent enough.

AA implementation is a weird one.  FXAA (at both levels) is awful; the aliasing and shimmering is terrible.  But then TXAA is really blurry.  I'm usually fine with some degree of blurring that FXAA or TXAA brings, but this is really extreme.  That said, the latter is definitely the better.  The reshade patch in that above thread make the game crash for me, so I can't even add artificial sharpening (though I don't like the idea of that anyway).

Let's hope the coming patches improve performance.

I've played through to the end at ultra at 1440p... but with a controller, so microstutter wasn't much of an issue. I didn't notice TXAA blurriness but... ultra & 1440p probably helped there.

Well the beta patch certainly improves things, especially the mouse problem as that is now gone. FPS seems to have gone up somewhat but is still extremely taxing to a 1070 on high at 3440x1440. Generally I've gone from low 40's in intense areas to around low 50's, with the exception for the area I am currently at late in the game which is known for being a performance hog. Even then it never went below 40. Framepacing also seems to have been improved with there being noticeably less stutter. However it still has someway to go to be a competent PC port. It's a good first patch but there's a lot that could be improved.

Apparently this isn't the performance patch and more of a fix patch for various issues. A 6.8 gig fix patch....The performance one comes out next week. Anyway it has helped me in some issues.

• Upvote 1

It's been mostly okay for me at 1440p on Very High on a 1070. I can play on Ultra, but instead of it dipping to 50fps, it'll dip to 40fps. There's not much difference between them that I can see.

Shame you need to brute force the game like that. Hopefully the performance patch squares things away.

Are the performance issues worse towards  the end of the game or just at certain resolutions?  My PC is about 5 years old, some kind of i5, 8gb ram, 960GTX.  I'm running 1920x1080 windowed, and it looks good and runs and loads fast with no slowdown.

2 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Apparently the later missions are a bit more of a performance killer. 

I can confirm this. The place I'm currently on pushed around 40fps but it also looks brilliant.

The patch is out in beta. You need to go into the properties for the game on steam, find the "betas" tab and opt into the public beta. It's 7GB download. 

There's also an Nvidia hotfix driver you can get from here https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4260

For me, the patch/driver combo has made a huge difference, ymmv but I urge you to get on it asap if you're playing through the game or waiting for a patch!

It fixes the CPU priority bug, the mouselook and some cloth bugs for AMD users. They must have done a load of work on performance or optimisation because it's much more consistent for me now.

• Upvote 1

^ yeah just install over the top of the old ones.

I've been playing on a 2500k and 970, 1080p, most stuff set to high, some stuff on medium, it looks great (well except for stuff that's far away), but yeah performance hasn't been great, about 30fps most of the time I'd guess. Playing on a pad so no mouse problems.

• Upvote 1

I've installed the Beta patch + updated Nvidia drivers and it's a definite improvement early on at least - I'm on mission 4. Was able to put my graphics settings up to ultra and it's almost always 60fps, with the occasional 5fps drop.

EDIT:

Until I got into the mansion and when things get in motion, we're back down to 45fps on Very High and Ultra.

Runs worse for me. "Auto" settings are now a mix of Very High and High, on an overclocked GTX 1070... Getting 30FPS most of the time on chapter 4.

I put things on auto and enabled adaptive resolution and I'm getting 60fps. It'll have to do...

Runs load better for me now that the adaptive resolution is working; the severe frame rate drops aren't as evident.  And with the additional options I've been able to turn off my Inspector hacks and am using the in-game triple buffering (which I think this is supposed to help frame times but increase input lag, but I can't notice that).  Feels a lot smoother across the board now.

Not sure them adding/fixing a mode to turn down resolution should count as a performance patch. Although, given that their tips for improving performance was to turn down settings it's hardly surprising that it's a lackluster patch. Glad I didn't bother with the game after they delayed reviews. It's been a shit month or two for PC releases and this seems to top it off nicely.