rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
myoozikk

The Young Pope

I couldn't find a thread for this one so apologies if there is one.

Jude Law plays the Pope in this new HBO series from Paolo Sorrentino.

I watched the first episode last night & it's absolutely stunning to look at. Jude Law is pretty amazing in it. Not really got a clue what's going on yet but enjoying it nevertheless.

Excellent performances from everyone so far and some cracking writing. I thought the  homily was a little overblown, but an interesting premise. Not sure he really has a plan, but he almost seems like he does at times. Also seems to have an impressive amount of on location filming, I wonder if it can be too critical if it was allowed such access. Need to watch episode three.

Yes. 

Just watched the third episode and... What the merry fuck was all that about? I'm liking the thing, but I'm confused about...

The music, the photographs, whether he really believes anything he's saying, what the stigmata dude has got to do with anything, his chastising of the nun who was crying... Seriously, wtf is going on?

• Upvote 1

On 16/11/2016 at 07:19, Danster said:

Also seems to have an impressive amount of on location filming, I wonder if it can be too critical if it was allowed such access.

That's compositing for you. None of it was shot at the Vatican.

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

That's compositing for you. None of it was shot at the Vatican.

Very impressive to my layman's eye, it looks so realistic.

It's very good. Still not sure whether he is insane or not. Obviously has a reason for shaking the church up as much as possible. But is it to do with his dream speech at the very beginning of episode 1 or is he truly that despotic? Can't work out if he's acting a part or revealing himself. It's very good.

Anybody still watching this?

Episode 8

Spoiler

Very uplifting episode with so much being cast open, from Lenny's calling to the drunk priest getting his man, to the Pope's love letters to Michael dying!

After last week's depression and oddity with the pope's visit to Africa and the killing prayer, and the previous week's episode with his old buddy being murdered and the gay trainee committing suicide, this week's lighter moments were a welcome relief despite death and abuse being forefront it was a very uplifting episode; I particularly liked the mother with the oranges at the end.

Does he truly believe in the bad things he's preaching? Is he really actually trying to destroy the church? The telling wink at the end of the wonderful opening sequence (sadly missing form this week's episode) says a lot I think. He's playing some sort of game, he's driving people away to only make them come back stronger. I like also that it hasn't shied away from allowing him to perform miracles, like God is there and exists but none of them really know how to work with him; except, perhaps, Lenny.

This programme continues to impress, Jude Law is excellent and the writing is tight and well on point. 

Yeah I'm still watching & I think it's my favourite TV show of the year but would find it quite hard to explain why story wise. The music use is incredible, its stunning to look at & Jude Law is exceptional. I'm loving every minute of it.

agree with the above re EP8.

• Upvote 1

It was a lovely ending. I have been left feeling somewhat empty, wanting more explanation perhaps, a need to have things more neatly tied, less ethereal. But I guess like he said, he has faith. 

Spoiler

I'm still not sure whether I liked how his parents reacted, was it really his politics that turned them off? Was it that they felt he was wasting an opportunity to tell a billion people what they should think about things? Was it that they felt bad about themselves for turning him into the man he has been portraying, even though for the first time publicly he has opened up to the world? I feel that parents, who were themselves portrayed as ultimate liberals, would have more to say to him now than ever; or maybe they were flawed too, well of course they were, leaving their child behind. Perhaps it is the highlighting of their own flaws that made them not want to approach him.

And is he dead? :o Was that him fluttering away, leaving the world at the end. :( I think I loved every moment of this programme, it didn't handhold you through exposition, it didn't feel the need to explain everything at all. It was cold at times, calculating, a bit daft, smiled at the pomposity of it all and yet there was a warmth underneath it all that glowed. Lenny was such a sad character though and Jude law's speech at the end was wonderfully acted, so hard to get that about to cry and holding it in moment right, but he totally nailed it. 

Cracking telly. I almost hope there will not be a second season; and yet I would love more of it.

Yeah I know, but I almost hoped there wouldn't be. The ending was poignant enough without the prospect of the continuing sagas of Lenny, as much as I want to see more.

It's a shame his surname wasn't Brennan, because it made me think of him every time Lenny was mentioned. It might explain a few things too.

• Upvote 1