Hexx

The Good Place

Latest episode

Marc Evan Jackson saying "I'm a naughty bitch" might be the best thing ever.

You knew it was coming but good god Micheal got me in the feels :(

• Upvote 2

Watched the 3 new episodes today, and I just keep being amazed by how the show surprises me and continuously reinvents itself at such a pace.

Spoiler

But I hope this doesn't mean we'll have a season 3 without Michael? :( 

On 20/01/2018 at 20:05, Hexx said:

Hide contents

No way - two episodes left and there’s still Janet with him

Not necessarily. There's a production line of Janets and and the demon Michael is just wearing a Ted Danson meat suit. Plenty of scope for the actors to come back in different ways if they don't make it through the portal. Or for Michael to wear a different meat suit should Ted Danson choose to leave

Just now, Ste_S said:

Hide contents

Not necessarily. There's a production line of Janets and and the demon Michael is just wearing a Ted Danson meat suit. Plenty of scope for the actors to come back in different ways if they don't make it through the portal. Or for Michael to wear a different meat suit should Ted Danson choose to leave

What I meant was that our Janet went AWOL at the end of the episode for unexplained reasons, and they just rolled with it. She's definitely got story to come as that wouldn't be her "end", and she's in TBP, so I bet Micheal will be involved with that I bet

And done.

A very good - but not very funny final to season 2 - and not as many "moments" as the S1 one.

It's odd - it's a strong story, but I still felt disappointed.

6 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

Yeah, it was missing a little something as a season finale, but a good episode. Also

Hide contents

Sam! 

:wub:

Yep!

Did you spot that a few weeks ago Chidi said

“I just wish we met the way normal people meet, like at a philosophy conference, or after one of my philosophy lectures, or you came knocking on my office door asking for help with philosophy."

• Upvote 3

Love the show, but think they may be a  continuity error with one of the characters - hopefully theyll explain it:

In season 1 didn’t they established Chidi was French and the Good Place translated what he was saying?

Spoiler

He isn't French (born in Nigeria, raised in Senegal), but speaks it (the language of both countries). But still a problem as you say. He could have learned English and uses it lecturing in the US, but then he could just speak that and wouldn't need autotranslation.

I really enjoyed that.

Spoiler

I was expecting a S1-style rug-pull but going with something a bit less bonkers made it surprising in its own way. Can't wait to see how the four of them end up converging, as must inevitably happen next season.

This has really come out of nowhere and surprised me, probably my favourite US comedy since Community. I'm glad it seems to be getting at least a bit of an audience.

It's not a continuity error.

Spoiler

When he's in the Good Place, he speaks his native tongue and it's automatically gets translated so everyone can understand each other. 

He can speak English and does so here because he's lecturing in an Australian university.

20 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Love the show, but think they may be a  continuity error with one of the characters - hopefully theyll explain it:

Hide contents

In season 1 didn’t they established Chidi was French and the Good Place translated what he was saying?

This is just my speculation on the above, so not really a spoiler, but just in case:

I dunno, this show doesn’t often make mistakes like that. Things that often do seem like errors often end up being clues to the truth (The multiple hints in S1 that the Good Place wasn’t all that for exxavmple). My suspicion is that that they haven’t actually been sent back, but instead are in a good place-style simulation of earth. It would also address the issue of the thousands of years they were in the good place for, as winding back the clock to just before the point of their deaths seems...too powerful? As pointed out above, they did re-unite in the exact circumstances that Chidi wished they’d met under...

Just in case anyone's missed it, there is an official Good Place podcast. It's hosted by Marc Evan Jackson (who plays Shawn) and has a couple of guests per episode - typically a writer and an actor, but also occasionally someone from the production side. It's just as warm and enthusiastic about the show as you would expect, and everyone seems so genuinely nice. There are some really interesting behind-the-scenes stories, like the writer's room getting in philosophy professors for actual lectures, and who knew what when about certain plot events. 

There's a podcast episode dedicated to each TV episode, but it has been recorded recently so there are spoilers for the entire first two series throughout.

Anyway: utterly delightful.

• Upvote 6

Just a reminder that season 3 starts on the 28th. 

I'm just rewatching the series for the first time and season one is obviously a completely different beast but it's almost like watching a completely new show. All the hints, the nods, the little mannerisms - it's just beautifully crafted. I've been really enjoying the podcast, Mark Evan Jackson is as great an interviewer as he is an actor and the love they all have for the show really shines through, not to mention all the effort that goes into the episodes - it must have been such a hard sell to the network but they're reaping the rewards massively and I couldn't be happier.

The Mike Schur shows from the last 10-15 years have been some of my favourite TV. There's something new every time and he obviously pays a lot of attention to detail. When you think there was, what, 9 seasons of The Office, 7 of Parks and Rec, 5 and counting of Brooklyn 99 and now three of this, and barely a dud episode between the lot of them. Excellent stuff and for a show that seemed to have such a limited scope after six episodes it's weird to almost know that they're going to knock season three out of the park. 

Everything is fine. 

• Upvote 4

First 2 episodes up on Netflix 

Good but very story focused. Less lol moments. Just like these characters so much

The ending though! Who gave Trevor papers (or a key) to get to earth though.

I'm guessing 

Spoiler

Shaun? He cracks the code to see what's happening so could see Michael has been going back loads. Would be easy enough to convince the Judge to let him level the playing field a bit. 

Episode 3

Another solid, but not specatacular episode. The Earth setting is hampering the comedy a bit - everything feels...off...when it's not a fantastical afterlife. Still enjoying it though - and there were some really solid laughs

Shaked up format a bit more

So Micheal took the Key to Earth with him right? There's no way there now?
Mike's "Those 4 humans are all I care about" hit home...but felt mean with Janet stood right next to him!

At this point I'm convinced that NO one is in The Good Place (we've never been name dropped anyone in there) and these 4 will be the first

1 hour ago, Hexx said:

Episode 3

Another solid, but not specatacular episode. The Earth setting is hampering the comedy a bit - everything feels...off...when it's not a fantastical afterlife. Still enjoying it though - and there were some really solid laughs

Reveal hidden contents

Shaked up format a bit more

So Micheal took the Key to Earth with him right? There's no way there now?
Mike's "Those 4 humans are all I care about" hit home...but felt mean with Janet stood right next to him!

At this point I'm convinced that NO one is in The Good Place (we've never been name dropped anyone in there) and these 4 will be the first

I feel much the same. There’s less spontaneity and possibility with the Earth setting, and much less energy too. Hopefully they can pull it back together. 

I suspect you may be right about the Good Place being largely or completely empty. It’s obvious the points system is hugely flawed, as none of the gang would’ve escaped eternal torment. They’re all flawed people, for sure, but none of them are purely bad or evil. It seems difficult to believe that the Medium Place only exists for Mindy StClaire when surely billions of people would fulfill that criteria (of course she was rated as mostly bad with one very good act, and a lot of others would be rated as mostly good, some bad.)

I've heard a lot of good things about this from people I know but after watching the first two episodes on Netflix I'm not really sure whether to continue. They were ok, not terrible, but ok isn't good enough in the streaming age anymore. My two main issues:

- The internal consistency of the rules and world seems all over the place. Obviously it's a comedy and not meant to be taken too seriously but it all made very little sense if you give it more than two seconds thought and it kept nagging at me. It seems like the type of show where rabbits will constantly be being pulled out of hats to advance the narrative because there are no real rules to begin with.

- The jokes were mostly quite predictable. You can tell it's a US network show with the constant fades to black for ad breaks, but it also has that sanitised 'don't upset anyone too much' feel that most US network comedies have where they constantly pull their punches. 

Mostly just curious whether it's worth preserving with or if I should just accept it's not for me and move on.

5 minutes ago, Majora said:

I've heard a lot of good things about this from people I know but after watching the first two episodes on Netflix I'm not really sure whether to continue. They were ok, not terrible, but ok isn't good enough in the streaming age anymore. My two main issues:

- The internal consistency of the rules and world seems all over the place. Obviously it's a comedy and not meant to be taken too seriously but it all made very little sense if you give it more than two seconds thought and it kept nagging at me. It seems like the type of show where rabbits will constantly be being pulled out of hats to advance the narrative because there are no real rules to begin with.

- The jokes were mostly quite predictable. You can tell it's a US network show with the constant fades to black for ad breaks, but it also has that sanitised 'don't upset anyone too much' feel that most US network comedies have where they constantly pull their punches. 

Mostly just curious whether it's worth preserving with or if I should just accept it's not for me and move on.

Keep watching for a bit and stop overanalysing? That will kill any comedy.