Hexx

The Good Place

Just started watching this, so searched here for a thread.

Spoiler

Saw there was a twist. Finished one episode, but my assumption is: The twist is it's actually the bad place

Edited by Poet
Spoilers

Season 1 spoilers

Spoiler

Which, I would bet eleventy billion pounds, you never would have got without reading up on it.

I think spoiling the end of season one is a huge mistake for those who haven't watched it and I've yet to talk with anyone who figured it out before it happened. It's a delightful twist.

• Upvote 1

Oh balls I read those spoilers, with the season 1 finale still to watch. Will be fun seeing how it plays out though.

My wife and I are both really enjoying this it's nice easy comedy and Ted Danson is fantastic in this, Janet is by far and away the funniest character though.

Yeah I loved Micheal throughout.

Janet I wasn't sure of at first - but she really grows on you. During the second half of Season 1 she gets some killer moments.

27 minutes ago, g wings said:

Love this show but hate that I binged Season 1 in just over a week and now have to wait to be drip fed each S2 episode.

I'm in the same boat, man. Hadn't heard of it until Netflix were promoting it, so was somewhat surprised to find that I was watching an already completed season!

It's very good indeed, with some absolutely fantastic little asides. It feels a lot like 30 Rock in places, and Kristen Bell is simply phenomenally good in the flashback sequences. It's become the new thing I tell people to watch now that everyone has gotten sick of me going on about Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, loved the

Spoiler

Kierkegaard rap musical

especially. A bit of a coincidence was that I was talking with friends about the trolley problem earlier in the week, and experiments asking what people would do in various permutations of it (I'd just listened to a RadioLab episode about it), and one of my friends suggested that people should be put in a VR simulation of it to see what they would really do.

Anyway if there is a better moral philosophy-based sitcom around at the moment I would like to hear about it.

Only just finished season one.

And as some folks have said they don't think anyone could've predicted the ending to S1. I called it within the first couple of episodes, because how was it remotely a paradise for Chidi and Tahani? But then the show did a REALLY good of convincing me I was wrong so I didn't think they'd go that far. Michael's laugh was brutal.

The plot moved very quickly. Almost too quickly. The end of season one twist could've made for an epic entire series finale. I'm kinda surprised they blew their load so quickly and I'm a bit concerned about where the show can go for a season two.

But yeah, really great show. Could sit among the greats (Parks, Community, AD) if they keep it up.

Stupid winter breaks :(

But I actually found the fall finale somewhat disappointing, it was just okay.

Spoiler

Janet's bf was the most annoying thing ever, hope it's the last we saw of him.

The hyperactive annoying boyfriend also popped up as hyperactive annoying guy in Last Man on Earth and occasionally in Brooklyn 99 as a hyperactive annoying guy. 

I started this on Friday and watched the first 5 or 6 episodes. It's pretty good. Ted Danson and Kristen Bell are very charming but the rest of the characters are quite annoying, the DJ/fake Buddist being the worst of them. 

I'll watch a few more but I can see the concept getting annoying pretty quickly like that show Pushing Daisies a few years back. 

1 hour ago, Silent Runner said:

I started this on Friday and watched the first 5 or 6 episodes. It's pretty good. Ted Danson and Kristen Bell are very charming but the rest of the characters are quite annoying, the DJ/fake Buddist being the worst of them. 

I'll watch a few more but I can see the concept getting annoying pretty quickly like that show Pushing Daisies a few years back. 

I'd keep going with it, at least until the end of season 1. The series doesn't always follow the same path and the level of quality remains high. Also, Jason becomes adorable.

It's still a very likable show but I'm going to be critical -  season 2 has lost focus and the short episode run doesn't lend itself to so much plot development. There's not enough time to settle into a premise before they switch it up.

Like there could've been an entire 22-ep season of Eleanor trying to hide her true identity. Then another full second season of her trying to prove she can be good enough to avoid the bad place. Those were both great sitcom setups. Instead they blasted through them in a handful of episodes. It feels like a show on it's fourth or fifth season already. Which is to say I fear it's about to run out of steam, even if they really switch it up and do a season in Adam Scott's neighbourhood or something.

2 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

MADNESS

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

It's still a very likable show but I'm going to be critical -  season 2 has lost focus and the short episode run doesn't lend itself to so much plot development. There's not enough time to settle into a premise before they switch it up.

Like there could've been an entire 22-ep season of Eleanor trying to hide her true identity. Then another full second season of her trying to prove she can be good enough to avoid the bad place. Those were both great sitcom setups. Instead they blasted through them in a handful of episodes. It feels like a show on it's fourth or fifth season already. Which is to say I fear it's about to run out of steam, even if they really switch it up and do a season in Adam Scott's neighbourhood or something.

I can only imagine they'll switch it up again. Escape to the actual good place at the end of the season ?

Very short seasons for a network though (13 episodes).  I am not complaining since the quality thus far has been very high, I'm just curious if there is a production reason between the short orders (Bell's availability?).