rllmuk
Hexx

The Good Place

500px-The_Good_Place_title_card.png

The Good Place is an American fantasy sitcom television series created by Mike Schur, starring Kristen Bell and Ted Danson. 

It’s heaven, silly. Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell) dies – she’s hit by a billboard truck advertising an erectile dysfunction drug – and winds up in heaven. The problem is those at the pearly gates think that she is Eleanor Shellstrop, a selfless attorney who got innocent men off death row, but she is really Eleanor Shellstrop, a selfish jerk who sold fake medicine to elderly people.

Couldn'd find a thread, but wondered if others have watched this?

It's by the Parks and Rec team (or some of them). It's an odd mix of endearing, funny and intriguing  - with both bite and warmth. (You can feel the similarities to their previous shows despite the complete difference in story and setting)

It shouldn't work but the actors (Bell and Danson in particular) do some heavy lifting that you can't help buying into their world and troubles.

I'm up to 1x07 (Nine episodes have aired) and I'm really enjoying it - they nail the end of episode whammy!

• Upvote 3

I've also seen 7 episodes, always watch it with a friend though and we tend to just collect a few episodes to watch as we don't see each other that often.

It's fun, and Kristen Bell is, well, Kristen Bell. That's all the reason I need :D

Can't wait to find out what happened after episode, that was quite a cliffhanger.

I wasn't sold to being with but it's got a lot better as the season has gone it. Bell and Danson are always watchable supporting cast are great as well. The show has definitely helped fill the gap left by how disappointing New Girl has been this season.

On 11 November 2016 at 20:36, Comrade said:

It's a fun show, but I really can't see how it can last very long.

I did wonder about that. A recurring bit seems to be the unfairness of there being no 'medium place', so I think the show will transition into the formation of it. Interested to see where it all goes. 

The Good Place - 1x12

Holy motherforking shirtballs  -  well that's how you set up season 2

DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN

Michael's reveal and smile/laugh actually hurt :(

Had no idea it was coming - but makes fantastic sense in hindsight. Lots of the problems/flaws in the system (Tahini did good things, but never stopped bragging, Chidi had good intentions but never DID anything due to indecision. How do you reconcile actions/intent with those two) people had presented as flaws in the show;s internal logic - they were actually clues hiddin the plain sight

• Upvote 3

Finally finished this tonight, took ages as I watched it with a friend whom I rarely see. We very much enjoyed it though, this show is so adorably whacky. 

Spoiler

And in the finale, turned surprisingly dark.

Cannot wait for season 2 :omg:

• Upvote 3

This was excellent! Thank you for recommendations on here otherwise I never would have discovered it. I ended up binge watching it all last night, had some of wonderful laugh out loud moments and I'm really looking forward to where they take the series with the second season.

• Upvote 1

Just seen the two parter opener for season 2 and not entirely feeling it so far. It's obviously going to be a different beast to season 1, but wasn't actually funny until halfway through. The possibilities are intriguing, no argument there, but...

It feels like the series has lost its heart, in a way. While Michael's revelation at the end of S1 was undeniably brilliant, what does it give the characters to strive for? They're caught in a trap, and we know it, so the sense of hope that ran through S1 is pretty much squashed. Now I feel like Michael, interested in seeing where the experiment goes but free of any empathy or compassion. Don't get me wrong, it could turn into something really great, but it does feel like the writers have boxed themselves in a bit.

watched the opener of season 2

Spoiler

i liked the idea that this time going in they would know or be able to piece together the truth about the good place - and i did enjoy the whole truman show style it went for in the episode.   i didn't think though by the end of this episode that they would do another reboot of the whole thing - i hope they dont continue doing this and they settle into a proper story arch  now

I really loved the season opener! So happy this is back on.

Spoiler

Of course the atmosphere is different now, but the more I think about it, the less I'm worried. At first I thought, in the end, if this experiment doesn't work, they will all just be thrown into the "traditional" kinda hell, so why would we even want them to break the experiment. But to be honest, that sort of thinking is way too linear. This show is all kinds of nuts and I trust the writers will think outside of the box and be able to come up with stuff that I can't even imagine right now. Soooo much shit can happen.

Definitely looking forward to more of this :D

Good Place 2x03

Well that was about 3 seasons worth of plots in 20minutes

(DO NOT READ NEW PEOPLE IF NOT UP TO DATE)

Janet's begging will never not be funny. I expected there to be a twist that Micheal was in his own Bad Place due to failing for how miserable he is.

Micheal's reactions each time he's caught - even by Jason = were brilliant.

• Upvote 2

I've caught up to 2 x 02 (so avoiding the above spoiler!) and I binged the series on a flight home the other day.  I did know about the twist at the end of Season 1 and I think that may have helped me keep going.  The series is fairly charming and quite amusing but watching season 1 without knowing there was something bigger behind it I can see how you might think it is not for you.  Knowing that something changes, even if it spoiled the exact moment, did help maintain interest and keep a close eye on what was going on.  

If the series runs I can easily imagine that even new viewers will know about the 'twist' when starting and I do not think it will do the series any harm at all, indeed will probably help it in many ways. 

I'm really enjoying this, and don't have much else to add except to say that every time Chidi says "What?!" I *will* laugh. I feel the same kind of warmth to the characters as I did in Parks & Rec. I read somewhere that the writers have the first 3 seasons plotted, so I am intrigued to see where they take it.

re spoilers:

Spoiler

I think that if you were watching it with no other knowledge than there is a big twist at the end of S1, you would guess what it was within the first episode, so this is one of those cases where even the mention of a "twist" would be a spoiler for some.

• Upvote 1