IGNORED

Daytonaaaaaaaa! Let's Go Away!

deKay

What even is going on this year? Nintendo announce a new Cruisin' arcade machine, for the 3 or 4 people that actually gave a shit about that. And now SEGA give the significantly more people who will care a new Daytona machine, but as there are only about 12 people who still go to arcades it's still quite irrelevant. It's clearly time for Namco to up the stakes with a new  .... oh what the hell was their game called? 

Oh, yes. Pole Position!

13 minutes ago, dood said:

What is Supermodel?! Please tell me it's a way to emulate model 2  on PC or something? 

supermodel is a pc emulator for Model 3 :)

It is pretty good, especially if you download the more recent (unofficial?) builds.

It's the only method of playing Daytona 2,scud race, spikeout etc etc and for that it is a godsend.

There is a different emulator for model 2.

My biggest gaming wish is for sega to start porting their model 3 games to modern consoles. 

Also sega race tv. and let me buy afterburner climax. and put outrun 2 on vita (even if only the psp version) and ps4.

and all the model 2 games they didnt release on ps3, mainly sega rally and manx tt.

None of this will happen :(

12 hours ago, angel said:

I'd love a version of Daytona 2 on current gen to whet the appetite, still looks great even today.

It does look great doesn't it, I'd never seen it before I don't think, at least not that track, very Beetle Adventure Racing in its changing zones and playfulness in the red alien. I remember being amazed the first time I saw Scud Race in an arcade, the graphical improvement. I don't think racing games are as quick now as they were then, fps aside because i dont know what each game was, F Zero X excepted, but that kind of Outrun 2 esque track whizzing past you as you're sort of on rails but still feel in control is very effective. I watched some videos of Destruction Derby 2 yesterday, amazed how quick it was. The racing genre used to be so strong and really delivered thrills and imagination. 

Keep in mind that the basic Supermodel download has no UI and you'll run games on it through the command prompt (which is easy enough if you're familiar with that sort of thing.) Then again I imagine some fan-made frontends are probably out there...

I hope it's 60fps at least. Their recent Transformers shooter was a jittery mess.

As for arcade only the Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune series of games are massive money spinners in Singapore, at least. I think mainly due to the customisation and record keeping. Kids sit there inside the one cabinet equipped with their mobiles and big bottles of water pumping in $2 for each race literally all day long. It would be cheaper paying for the fuel in real life.

So after fucking up the butchered HD Arcade port of Daytona USA, which only got released because they lost the license, they spent the money to rebuy the license and make a new one, strange decision making. They've still got an active racing dev team I think considering they are releasing a new Initial D game next year too. The details from the official press release:

-Name was changed from what was shown in Chicago (Daytona Reloaded) to Daytona 3 Championship USA
-47″ screen
-27″ billboard marquee
-Link up to 8 machines
-Camera with in-game avatars
-New cars and game modes
-Operator adjustable “party mode” for tournaments
-Based on the original Daytona USA engine to keep the physics
-Three new tracks plus remastered tracks from the original Daytona USA

SEGA Racing Classic, so butchered they literally just mute the parts of the music referencing the trademark they weren't legally entitled to use, why did they even bother if that was the level of effort they were willing to put in. This is an example of it, it's like re-releasing OutRun and fucking up the music, the 2 are integral to the experience:

5 hours ago, dood said:

Cmd stuff is fine by me, I work in software :)

as as long as there are some instructions online somewhere..!  Especially for getting my wheel working.

You can get front end loaders for it. Supermodel UI for example. Expect alot of fiddling and trial and error getting the wheel set up though. Plus you need a certain dump of the roms which incorporate a specific file for force feedback. Its a pain in the arse, but well worth it once its all set up ^_^ Also another tip. Someone has wrote a new 3D engine for it which irons out alot of the graphical glitches, but isnt enabled as default.  Add "New3DEngine= 1" to your ini file and be prepared to be amazed by the power of Model 3 :D

Man this just brings back suppressed memories of how did Sega balls up with the Saturn hardware so much, when they were the kings of 3D hardware back in the day with Model 2 and 3.

49 minutes ago, Hodge said:

You can get front end loaders for it. Supermodel UI for example. Expect alot of fiddling and trial and error getting the wheel set up though. Plus you need a certain dump of the roms which incorporate a specific file for force feedback. Its a pain in the arse, but well worth it once its all set up ^_^ Also another tip. Someone has wrote a new 3D engine for it which irons out alot of the graphical glitches, but isnt enabled as default.  Add "New3DEngine= 1" to your ini file and be prepared to be amazed by the power of Model 3 :D

Man this just brings back suppressed memories of how did Sega balls up with the Saturn hardware so much, when they were the kings of 3D hardware back in the day with Model 2 and 3.

Thanks for the info!  Do you have a link for a good resource to help me get it set up? 

Or mind sharing knowledge via PM? :)

17 hours ago, Hodge said:

It's kind of obvious looking at their hardware choices that they never considered the age of the polygon being the driving factor for the 32-bit generation, the Saturn was clearly originally designed as a Sprite-shifting Beast (which it is, way better than the competition on that benchmark) with a hastily bolted on upgrade when they learned what Ken Kutaragi was cooking up. The choice of the quad as the primitive of choice was certainly novel, though they weren't exactly alone in thinking the quad was going to win out over the triangle, as Nvidia started off as a quad believer too.

Curiosity got to me and I just Googled it, but finally an explanation for why the Saturn went with quads. They were just following the already established Arcade board route, all the Model 1/2/3 boards supported quads:

Model 2: 300,000 textured quad polygons/sec[76] to over 500,000 textured triangle polygons/sec,[87] 900,000 vectors/sec[76]

the Model 3 was easily the most powerful arcade system board in existence,[91] capable of over one million quad polygons per second and over two million triangular polygons per second

6 hours ago, mushashi said:

It's kind of obvious looking at their hardware choices that they never considered the age of the polygon being the driving factor for the 32-bit generation, the Saturn was clearly originally designed as a Sprite-shifting Beast (which it is, way better than the competition on that benchmark) with a hastily bolted on upgrade when they learned what Ken Kutaragi was cooking up. The choice of the quad as the primitive of choice was certainly novel, though they weren't exactly alone in thinking the quad was going to win out over the triangle, as Nvidia started off as a quad believer too.

So it all comes down to not thinking traingles, but squares instead? Great lol

It`s a shame with all Segas R&D talents, the Saturn was the best they could come up with :( Even more so that I paid £400 notes for one on uk launch <_<