acidbearboy

Tidbits

Sometimes you find something interesting but it doesn't deserve a thread. Post it here, but keep it short and sweet.

Bought a Silk album blind in the charity shop - turns out Freak Me by Another Level (1998) was originally written and performed by Keith Sweat and Silk in 1992.

• Upvote 1

80s Balearic Beat favourite Jibaro by Electra, an early Paul Oakenfold production, was in fact a cover of the 1974 track of the same name by Spanish/Columbian brothers Elkin and Nelson. The original version is densely layered latin funk - I bet it sounds great on vinyl. Also check the stripped back and rather intense live tv performance.

Show Me Love by Robin S was originally released in 1990, without THAT bassline.

I was also unaware that Vaughan Mason (Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll) was involved in Raze's Break 4 Love and Doug Lazy's Let It Roll. All classics of their genres.

I was into home taping from the top 40 as a kid, but there were a bunch of songs that stayed with me despite me never knowing the name. One track that I always wanted to re-find was some dance number that sampled a test match cricket anthem or something, and a year or so ago I finally tracked it down.

To be honest I could probably fill this thread with anecdotes of "trying to find the version of a song I heard on the radio but there are dozens of different "edits" on iTunes". I heard a mix of Jungle Brothers "I'll House You" that stayed in my mind for years and I only discovered what I deemed to be the "right" version after hearing numerous variations:

What makes this one worse is that I think I originally taped it from the radio about a minute after it had started, so nothing was familiar until I scanned along! I can't be the only one with this weird "nostalgia" where the first variation of a track you hear - even if it's not the original - will always be the "right" one?

It's awful, yes, but I was probably 9 at the (pre-internet) time and so radio garbage was all I knew. ;) As an aside, WhoSampled has always been a godsend for finding these sorts of terrible curios from the past, especially for someone who followed sample-heavy dance rubbish. :) 

No need to defend your taste. We all like some garbage. Besides, nostalgia cares not for quality. Pretty sure I have something decent with Mr Roy's name on. 

WhoSampled is a fantastic resource but it can be a real wormhole. I spent a good few hours listening to sample sources from FSOL's Lifeforms, which was recently re-released. It got me wondering if they actually played a note of melody in creating it. But listening back to it in full today - it's still a great record. 

• Upvote 1

Today I learnt that Josh Wink's Higher State of Consciousness started out as a downtempo track on a 1994 chillout compilation album on Strictly Rhythm records called The Deep & Slow. It was remixed and released as a single the following year, with the 12" featuring 3 new versions all made by Josh Wink - one of which was the Tweekin' Acid Funk version that hit the charts and was subsequently remixed several times.

Here's the original:

On 26/03/2018 at 19:57, acidbearboy said:

Pretty sure I have something decent with Mr Roy's name on. 

This?

I've been trying to find a tune I heard at a house party in 1995. Pretty sure it must be a version / mix of Funk & Drive by K&M - a bit like this, if the whole track sounded like the synthy bit that starts at 2.31.

21 hours ago, Dapple said:

This?

I think it probably was that, yeah. I thought I had a Mr Roy remix of Nikita Warren - I Need You, but Something About You just samples the piano loop from it. The remix 12" I have from '96 features Nush and Basement Jaxx. The only other thing in my library by Mr Roy is a mediocre remix of Gat Decor - Passion. 

Can't help with the K&M Funk Drive thing, sorry.

Nothing specific, but recently an M-Beat/Renk compilation creeped into my Spotify recommendations and it's led to a spot of "ohhh so that's where that vague memory of a tune comes from" enlightenment... :) Although the first two tracks were already permanent fixtures in some of my current playlists!