rllmuk
Sureshot

A great gaming track a day

Now there's a game which didn't deserve such good music!

Still, it's not the most impressive examplar of that, which has to go to this particularly impressive juxtaposition of brilliant music with godawful game:

Chris Hülsbeck - The Adventures of Quik and Silva - Title Theme

Literally every level's music is great. Literally every level is terrible. What a combination! Still, the title theme is the best part of the soundtrack, which is just as well as you don't need to actually play the game to hear it.

(and in case the distinct style wasn't evident enough, this is indeed Chris Huelsbeck at work)

• Upvote 1

This game was and is just utterly magical, stylistically unique, and perhaps my most nostalgia-inducing OST – this is my favourite period in the history of video games, full of so much promise and joyous creativity. I could easily pick another ten tracks from this OST.

• Upvote 4

Great Fairy Fountain is one of those "chills down the spine" tracks for me, every time. 

Today, a pumping track from a game I was crap at – but I think everyone was because it was absolutely rock solid, if not downright unfair! The OST has a fairly typical demo scene style, but I didn't know until just now this is the work of Jesper Kyd, who of course went on to do great work on Assassins Creed, amongst others. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, ilpostino said:

I go off from the forum for a day as I'm moving house, come back, and you've nicked my choice. Bastard. ;)

Flying Battery Zone - Act 2? How bizarre! Of all the Sonic tunes, it's one that seems to get stuck in my head a lot for whatever reason. Guess that makes two of us. ;)

Ah, Fighting Vipers, with its odd/slightly creepy armour break system!

Of course, if we're going for hard rock fighting game soundtracks, it's hard to beat Arc Systems' greatest (and hard to pick a single song out, but this will have to do):

Daisuke Ishiwatari - Guilty Gear X - Awe of She

• Upvote 3

I don't dislike that song, but it always feels a little like a bit too much of a rip off of this classic, to me at least:

Hiroshi Kawaguchi - After Burner - After Burner

(And yes, that will now be my entry for today, because it's great. And even better when performed by Sega's live band, of course...)

• Upvote 5

I don't dislike that song, but it always feels a little like a bit too much of a rip off of this classic, to me at least:

Learnt about that "tribute" on VGMpire - I'd played both games back in the day but never joined the dots.

I reckon Starfox is the better tune, though, even if it is totally derivative.

I didn't know that the similarity was actually recognised as a thing, I just didn't play Starfox until many years after Afterburner (on the ST, obviously the best way to play it... :unsure:), and have always thought that the music sounded too similar to be anything else. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one!

(Afterburner's music is obviously far better though, you madman)

A true classic, but then Sega were amongst the first to really nail Arcade game soundtracks so maybe that shouldn't be a surprise!

That Fighting Vipers track from a few days ago ended up sticking Saturn-era music in my head, so here's a particular delight, from my favourite Treasure game:

Nazo2 - Guardian Heroes - Valgar's theme (sometimes listed as Rough and Ready (or "Rough and Lady"), sometimes Bolero of Finale - I've never seen confirmation of which is the correct title)

• Upvote 3

Ahh, more demo-sceney music goodness!

Also, as a surprising twist to my Guardian Heroes video, I've just seen this announcement regarding the soundtrack for Treasure's other great "Heroes" game:

(it'll be on vinyl, for anyone unaware of Data Discs' raison d'être)