rllmuk
Sureshot

A great gaming track a day

Woah. Bridge Zone. I haven't heard that since the 90s – gave me some severe nostalgia goosebumps! Thanks @Sureshot

My choice today is from Radiant Silvergun. Zipping over the city at extremely high velocity, a slightly mind-bending rotation effect makes it all the more spectacular, then rapidly your ship slows as a grid of light expands and warps to cover the buildings beneath in a strange futuristic patchwork. My favourite section of any one stage in RSG, and it has this music to back it up.

Some question "Is RSG really that good?". I think it's a response to the concept of it being scarce and expensive, and of course the Treasure-factor. I think it is. It really, really is! I'd take it over Ikaruga any day – for art direction, for the variety, for the awesome and weird effects they created, and for the music.

• Upvote 3

Fire, f-fire oh oh-oh..

What a fucking game this is. The fan service is off the scale completely. I honestly don't care if we never see another F-Zero again.

• Upvote 3

Here's another game which has interesting music and one I feel manages to contain it's own identity. There's something I like about the slightly lo-fi quality too, as it sort of feels more suitable considering the game is quite raw and rough.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Azure said:

Woah. Bridge Zone. I haven't heard that since the 90s – gave me some severe nostalgia goosebumps! Thanks @Sureshot.

No problem! The SMS Sonic games have fantastic soundtracks which really hold up on their own, despite being in the shadow of their 16-bit sibling. Always brings back good memories listening to those tracks. :)

No problem! The SMS Sonic games have fantastic soundtracks which really hold up on their own, despite being in the shadow of their 16-bit sibling. Always brings back good memories listening to those tracks. default_smile.png

The tracks on the first one are arranged by Yuzo Koshiro, from memory. His company Ancient did the port.

There's also a ROM hack floating around that adds Sega Mark III FM support to SMS Sonic.

Tonight, we return to French home computer games; one of the most celebrated, in fact. And, with it, one of the greatest closing themes around, short but (bitter)sweet:

Jean-François Freitas - Another World - The End

• Upvote 3

Played a bit of Sonic 2 with my daughter this morning, and this track really jumped out:

(Mystic Cave Zone - it should hopefully start in the right place)

Followed it up with some Toejam & Earl, so it was a good time for tunes.

• Upvote 2

Yuzo Koshiro's Streets of Rage OST is incredible. It was hard to pick one track, but ultimately I went for stage 7, as it brings back fond memories of throwing an endless stream of bad guys (and my brothers!) over the side of the elevator before reaching the stunning view of the 16-bit cityscape at the very top :wub:

• Upvote 4

Apologises if not strictly in-game, just what I've been listening to this evening.

The whole thing quite wonderful, but the battle themes montage starting at 1:57:31 is particularly amazeballs to me. I can take any random event on in real life if it has FF battle music in the background when it happens, yeah!

Things were quiet in here today! Looks like it's time to bring out the big guns, with one of the must belting tracks ever attached to a game:

Hideki Naganuma - Jet Set Radio Future - The Concept of Love

• Upvote 4

On 24/10/2016 at 20:37, Sureshot said:

That LED Storm tune sounds like it could have influenced the Mad Capsule Markets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXgOFhF_gL8 (linking so as not to break the flow).

Holy shit, I'd completely forgotten the MCM existed, and I had a bunch of their albums.

How did this thread elude me? Anyway, I always stick this one in. One of SEGA's finest moments and just a perfect videogame tune:

• Upvote 2

This indeed is one of my classics and still play this with people today as doubles mode is an excellent co-op game which gets addictive. The first level track clotho is the one that's been completely drilled into my head so many times.

• Upvote 5

This indeed is one of my classics and still play this with people today as doubles mode is an excellent co-op game which gets addictive. The first level track clotho is the one that's been completely drilled into my head so many times.

The legendary Bo's last soundtrack for Sega, I think. Downscaled very nicely to the Game Gear, too.

Yeah, that's brilliant. I'd never heard it before, but it's exactly what you'd expect a 16-bit home computer game to sound like if given a meatier sound chip to work with, great stuff!

The DKC trilogy on the SNES is home to some of the most incredible VGM ever. As Aquatic Ambience has already been posted from the original game, here's another track that evokes some serious nostalgia :

• Upvote 2