IGNORED

Nintendo Switch - your opinions

RubberJohnny

Nintendo Switch - the poll  

507 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, I'm expecting £299.99. I think any higher than that and they'd be sending it out to die. It's certainly the highest I'd go for hardware that's supposedly not as powerful as a Bone. Would absolutely love for them to announce it at a price like £199.99, I guess it all depends how much of a loss they want to take on each console sold, but if I remember rightly Nintendo don't traditionally eat a loss on hardware, do they?

This looks interesting but there are many questions regarding price, power and software. Personally I find the whole concept refreshing. While VR is separating people in the room to players and spectators, this is trying to do the opposite. On the other hand, though, I found parts of the video really out of touch with reality. People playing basketball or going out for a walk or simply having a party outside and you see them dropping what they are out to do to gather around towering over a small screen and holding a weird tiny two-piece controller? 

Well, I suppose the good news about the Switch is that it means that being brought in for the official start of a restructure consultation process and finding out that five of us have been ringfenced for only two jobs actually has competition for 'worst thing to happen at 15:00 today'.

24 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Well, I suppose the good news about the Switch is that it means that being brought in for the official start of a restructure consultation process and finding out that five of us have been ringfenced for only two jobs actually has competition for 'worst thing to happen at 15:00 today'.

Good luck Wiper

This has to cheap and pretty robust to make it appealing. It's not really the kind of thing you take to a rooftop barbecue or sports game. Even the Microsoft surface promos had more zip and fun to them.  I reckon this is going to be a tough sell.

I love Nintendo but with a busy life and a non gaming gf my "long game" experiences have been reduced to the minimum. My PC is more like an arcade, I try to get better at Street Fighter, I play racers like FH3. But no long games allowed

Now this could change the story. Finally I can play "long" games on the bedroom with my gf while she is watching horrible programs of people with diseases and body problems. Or while I'm staying away from home during weekends. And then If I have some time, I can keep playing the games on the big screen!

I cant wait to play on bed things like XCOM!!!  Now I want ports of games I already have.

Also I want a mini Street fighter that I can play multiplayer with those tiny controllers! but with combos and cancellations and all the shit!!!

This console really feel made for games, but with those tiny controllers they could attract to a lot of non gaming people... Ballon fight Switch!!!

If people want good performance for the money go and get a  Nvidia GTX 1060 (as I did just today In this epic gaming day)

Please a CIV6!!!! (and a Prison Architect!!!)

The only thing I don't like is the dull looking design. maybe they don't want to scare the "straight bro gamer" off. You know what I mean.

I want it purple like the Gamecube I reckon the new console is full of Pikmins inside.

43 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don't understand why people are reacting negatively about it? What's not to like?

Portable and home console experience, all Nintendo output on one platform.

Price is my main concern. 

I can only speak for myself of course, but the reason I'm not excited for it is because they decided to show a load of games that I could just as easily be playing on my current Wii U (other than Skyrim if that's what it was, which I'd prefer to be playing on my PS4) on hardware that holds no appeal since I just want to slouch in front of the TV and play games.

10 years ago I'd maybe have reacted differently but I've been burnt by Nintendo too many times now to trust them any longer. The fact that they didn't show anything new game wise but instead showed clips from games that look pretty much exactly like ones I already have running on 4 or 5 year old hardware that I already have tells me all I need to know. I'm absolutely positive that this will be home to a couple of stand out titles and then more of the same party shite that they've been peddling of late.

I would love to be proven wrong though.

This was just a hardware reveal though, it wasn't a software showcase. The alternative was not showing any games at all. I'd expect a Nintendo Direct (or two) to showcase a bunch of launch window games.

You can also just play the games on the TV and slouch on the sofa, you don't need to play it on the screen if you don't want to. You can slouch in the best way possible with the two separate Joy-Con parts!

Yep.  All the games were there for illustration only.  They weren't showing them off they were showing off how you play.

There's no way they'd showcase anything big in the middle of that.  Too much of a distraction from the message.   Even the Mario bits looked unspectacular.   They were just say 'yes i'll play 3D Mario'.

1 hour ago, sir shrew said:

But of course you have. You're getting less bang for your buck to accommodate portability. Not to mention the waste of R&D. Anyway, I see I'm alone on this. I look forward to having all these posts quoted back to me when this thing is a phenomenal success.

Why does this bit even matter to you?  Just curious, not being judgmental! It just doesn't even register for me.  

The last one 'failed', but Nintendo still seem to be doing ok!  And, by all accounts, they delivered a handful of quality games last time round. As did some third parties.  Is the concern that there won't be enough to play? 

The concept appeals to me greatly, I appreciate you'd feel a bit *shrug* if it doesn't do anything for you.  I empathise with the feeling of: "I'm paying more for mobility I'll never take advantage of".  I hope they can offer a TV-only SKU (whey!) at some point, they're clearer alienating quite a few potential customers with that decision. 

But the mobility is so big, imo.  Even in the house.  But to daydream of being able to continue something like my Dark Souls reruns during my commute / lunchbreak each day, or carrying on pushing through a Zelda dungeon before bed while visiting the inlaws.. It would make it so much easier to SHOW my brother the games I'm raving about when I visit him.  OH MAN.  I'll never need to bother with those (imo) totally disposable mobile games again!

DAY ONE.*

* Pending potential lower FPS while in mobile mode debate.  And as long as there is something else equally as meaty as Zelda day one.  Mario would do it. 

32GB internal storage limit. Which forces a patch limit. Not Android and presumably a lightweight OS, which will hopefully mean less OS patches. This may be the only console I can play on my present internet.

Now, if they could get FROM to remaster DS1, I'll love them forever.

13 minutes ago, BruceBruce said:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

According to Nvidia, the console will use a custom Tegra chip.  The same Tegra capable of running DOOM at 1080p 60fps.  So it may be possible that this console is on par with at least XB1/PS4.

How do you know it's the same Tegra.   Couldn't it be downclocked massively?   Doesn't the 'custom' bit mean it definitely isn't the same as any other Tegra?

The whole thing looks dumb but cool.

Nobody is going to play this multiplayer in the back of car or 4 player on a park bench though.

it is bloody impressive what they can get out of these mobile chips though.

Cant help but think they should just make a phone attachment and release the games on iOS though 

13 minutes ago, BruceBruce said:

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

According to Nvidia, the console will use a custom Tegra chip.  The same Tegra capable of running DOOM at 1080p 60fps.  So it may be possible that this console is on par with at least XB1/PS4.

That's DOOM 3, not the recent one! There's a port of it on the NVIDIA Shield, which also uses a version of the Tegra chip.

We don't know quite how powerful the Switch is going to be it looks like it will be less powerful than X1/PS4, but close enough that ports of at least some games will be feasible.

16 minutes ago, JPickford said:

How do you know it's the same Tegra.   Couldn't it be downclocked massively?   Doesn't the 'custom' bit mean it definitely isn't the same as any other Tegra?

Yea that's the issue with "custom".. it could mean a bit of a downclock, you're right.  We won't know anything for sure until the specs are released. I was just going by information "The Know" just released.

55 minutes ago, RIKT said:

I can only speak for myself of course, but the reason I'm not excited for it is because they decided to show a load of games that I could just as easily be playing on my current Wii U (other than Skyrim if that's what it was, which I'd prefer to be playing on my PS4) on hardware that holds no appeal since I just want to slouch in front of the TV and play games.

10 years ago I'd maybe have reacted differently but I've been burnt by Nintendo too many times now to trust them any longer. The fact that they didn't show anything new game wise but instead showed clips from games that look pretty much exactly like ones I already have running on 4 or 5 year old hardware that I already have tells me all I need to know. I'm absolutely positive that this will be home to a couple of stand out titles and then more of the same party shite that they've been peddling of late.

I would love to be proven wrong though.

As @Bojangle has mentioned, this is just the hardware. I don't take a bunch of actors playing a few games as their official launch lineup announcement. 

I kind of don't care if it has all the horsepower if it has enough to run Nintendo games at 1080p. This looks like the dog's bollocks. Honestly, I think they have knocked it completely out of the park.