rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
FozZ

Battlezone - PSVR

Couldn't find a dedicated thread for this, apologies if there is one.

My copy arrived yesterday (physical copy for a tenner less than digital - daft). Had a couple of hours on it and it's incredibly fun, and looks great; just wondered if anyone else is playing it.

First thing I noticed after starting out with a long campaign on Normal difficulty is how hard the game is. The clearly expect you to start on a short, easy campaign then work your way up. Furthest I got was a couple of missions away from the target zone. I expect this is brilliant in co-op (and presumably the difficulty makes more sense unless they scale with player numbers), but my PS+ sub expired a couple of weeks ago and I'm waiting until payday to renew it.

Would be great to get some PSN names from people to play with once I re-sub.

9 minutes ago, Fury4k said:

Shamefully I'm waiting for a price drop. 

If I'd not had a £35 giftcard from my birthday I'd probly have waited. Instead I used that and got Battlezone, Until Dawn Rush of Blood and Star Wars Battlefront for £32.50 + giftcard (from Tesco, they seem to have fairly competitive prices).

I even had it preordered. Alongside Rigs (£35) and Until Dawn, but I cancelled it last minute. 

It's hard (to begin with - I'm guessing this is solved when you buy upgrades), can be confusing at times, and makes me want to puke like mad by the end of one level.

It's also not much fun with the default weapons.

It was the first and only VR game I tried before release. In the demo you were way more powerful and it was much shorter so I came away really having enjoyed it.

At the moment (4 levels in) my weapons are still crap and defeating even the weakest tanks takes 6-10 shots and I can't play more than a mission at a time without wanting to puke so upgrading will take ages between bouts of nausea and boring gameplay. I don't think I'll be going back to it again. If I do I'll be restarting on a lower difficulty. 

14 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

It's hard (to begin with - I'm guessing this is solved when you buy upgrades), can be confusing at times, and makes me want to puke like mad by the end of one level.

It's also not much fun with the default weapons.

It was the first and only VR game I tried before release. In the demo you were way more powerful and it was much shorter so I came away really having enjoyed it.

At the moment (4 levels in) my weapons are still crap and defeating even the weakest tanks takes 6-10 shots and I can't play more than a mission at a time without wanting to puke so upgrading will take ages between bouts of nausea and boring gameplay. I don't think I'll be going back to it again. If I do I'll be restarting on a lower difficulty. 

You realise it's basically a precedural roguelike and you'd be restarting a lot anyway?

The upgrades that unlock each time you play become available from supply points which will appear in places on the map, but you always start with the base loadout of that tank class. This makes paying for a probe worthwhile so you can work out where they are. Plus there are a lot of alternate tanks to unlock by the looks of it.

Also, first time I played (aside from the demo) I used the medium tank and as you say, it's painful to destroy anything. Try with the heavy tank - the shots are slow and take longer to recharge, but lots of one hit kills. Also, unless I missed it, the tutorial doesn't explain upgrading your tank which I totally missed (you hit R1 on the map screen I think, it's the screen to your lower right). Getting active reload helps a lot.

I really enjoyed playing it last night, but then I don't get any motion sickness in VR unless there's extreme movement with no fixed point of reference which most games are realising you can't do.

I tried this at my mates the other week. Easily my fave game on the PSVR, it just really works and the graphics style works really well with the hardware limitations too. That and eve would be system sellers for me if I could afford it.

14 minutes ago, FozZ said:

You realise it's basically a precedural roguelike and you'd be restarting a lot anyway?

The upgrades that unlock each time you play become available from supply points which will appear in places on the map, but you always start with the base loadout of that tank class. This makes paying for a probe worthwhile so you can work out where they are. Plus there are a lot of alternate tanks to unlock by the looks of it.

Also, first time I played (aside from the demo) I used the medium tank and as you say, it's painful to destroy anything. Try with the heavy tank - the shots are slow and take longer to recharge, but lots of one hit kills. Also, unless I missed it, the tutorial doesn't explain upgrading your tank which I totally missed (you hit R1 on the map screen I think, it's the screen to your lower right). Getting active reload helps a lot.

I really enjoyed playing it last night, but then I don't get any motion sickness in VR unless there's extreme movement with no fixed point of reference which most games are realising you can do.

Thanks, will give it a go with the heavy tank. I chose medium as well.

Maybe the slower movement will help with nausea, too. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, vezna said:

I want this and have been into a few shops but £50? No chance. 

£40 from Tesco as I said (online that is, they didn't have any PSVR games in my local superstore when I went in last Saturday)

I'm up for this too. Still on my first campaign (stupidly picked a light tank) but cleared 8 missions so far.

Anybody got any advice for killing the swarm? As soon as they appear, I'm  toast.

I get more sick in this game than any other btw....

@FozZ Thanks for your tips. Started again with the heavy tank and it's much better. Amazing what a difference it makes. Will see how it goes, I'm still not exactly enamoured with it but it's early days yet. 

• Upvote 1

So this is basically a 4 player co-op game . I have had a few hours with this today and the game is massively improved if you play with 3 others . Healing is paramount and with 3 others you can regroup when you need to an revive downed tanks . 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

So this is basically a 4 player co-op game . I have had a few hours with this today and the game is massively improved if you play with 3 others . Healing is paramount and with 3 others you can regroup when you need to an revive downed tanks . 

I really need to try this in coop, it's hard as nails single player. I imagine using the other tanks becomes far more feasible when there's a group of you. Started a 2 day trial tonight after picking up Battlefront (nice surprise that it wasn't just for new members), as my sub ran out at the start of the month. Expect I'll renew come pay day. 

On 20/10/2016 at 11:39, vezna said:

I want this and have been into a few shops but £50? No chance. 

Yup. Bizarre price imo. Would have suited slightly lower. 

Fantastic game though from the demo. It's certainly on the list!

53 minutes ago, FozZ said:

Heading on now if anyone's about.

I'm just about to go on now - if you're still up for a blast. It's hard alright - co-op might be the way to go...

Gamertag is Hardbattle 

2 hours ago, Hardbattle said:

I'm just about to go on now - if you're still up for a blast. It's hard alright - co-op might be the way to go...

Gamertag is Hardbattle 

It's possible I was playing with you - didn't pay enough attention to the names, and stupidly hit to continue forgetting it would just boot everyone (and it doesn't list Battlezone players in Recently Met). We got down to the last level with the insane nemesis tank.

Either way, anyone who wants to add me for this please do, my PS friends list is pretty weak.

Ha! Yep, I was there :). What's your gamer tag, stupidly can't find you...

Tethered is a joy. It looks beautiful, maybe only second to Bound - it's crisp, colourful and has an amazing sense of depth. Only did the tutorial level, but I loved every second. It's an easy recommendation, even on just the 30 mins or so I played.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

Ha! Yep, I was there :). What's your gamer tag, stupidly can't find you...

Monophobian

Will get it updating now. Got paid a little earlier than expected so time to renew my PS+ sub :)

Patch includes the kind of improvements we can expect for most games that support the Pro:

Added PS4 Pro support

- Increased super-sampling resolution

- Improved dynamic lighting in the Cobra cockpit

- Increased reflective lighting resolution 

Balancing changes

- Defend and Convoy missions are more balanced

- Difficulty randomization more even throughout campaign

- Enemy rank scaling more balanced throughout campaign

Bug, performance fixes and other changes

- Improved clarity of particle effects 

- Fixed a rare framerate hitch during hangar sequence

- Fixed rare physics issue that caused players to leave game world

- Minor enemy behaviour tweaks

DAT SUPERSAMPLING.

43 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Patch includes the kind of improvements we can expect for most games that support the Pro:

DAT SUPERSAMPLING.

Supersampling makes such a huge difference on the Vive, I'm gunna be jealous of you Pro owners.