Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS thread

1 hour ago, K said:

I genuinely have no idea why Rockstar bought the rights to Red Dead Revolver, and made Redemption a loose sequel. I realise that games set in the old west haven't traditionally been much of a draw, but it's not Revolver was a huge success, and billing a new game as "the new game in the Red Dead franchise!" would presumably come a very distant second in terms of exposure to "the new game from the makers of GTA IV".

Was this the case? Pretty sure they published it from day one (albeit bought from Capcom along with the developer before release).

• Upvote 1

Hopefully a trailer soon. I may be tempted to upgrade to the PS4 Pro if this come out around Spring 2017.

11 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Was this the case? Pretty sure they published it from day one (albeit bought from Capcom along with the developer before release).

Reading up on this, I seem to have remembered this incorrectly - for some reason, I thought Revolver was developed by Capcom, who then gave the rights to Rockstar in return for the rights to another franchise. God knows what I was thinking of. 

Historical inaccuracies aside it's a fair point though, the games have nothing in common bar the vague setting and Revolver wasn't particularly fondly remembered (not bad, just not great) so it was a strange lineage to take.

Still better than nothing, and it's not like anyone expected Redemption to be such a mega-hit. Rockstar wanted to do an open world Old West game and had already done a linear one a couple of years previously. Why not I guess? It makes for some pretty cool game titles as well.

As much as I enjoyed Redemption I've never really thought about what I'd want from a sequel. Certainly I'd hope Rockstar can actually transpose the gunplay from Max Payne 3 into an open world game this time, rather than just trying to and failing, as they did with GTAV.

I could comfortably just have more of the same (well, except prettier - I played it on PS3). I know the 'events' were a little too frequent but other than that it did a great job of conveying the wilderness of the wild west.

9 hours ago, ann coulter said:

This is a little joke/photoshop, right? I actually trawled through Neogaf trying to find the reaction to this. :(

Not by me - it was on their Twitter feed earlier but was deleted

8 hours ago, VN1X said:

No way. :mellow:

Hopefully WAY

7 hours ago, JDubYes said:

Am I the only one that thought maybe the Nintendo tweet was a troll/joke then? Certainly that was my first reaction, anyway, and it's subsequent deletion doesn't do anything to make me change my mind.

It might be but BELIEVE

7 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

is that nintendo twitter post for real or what?

It was a real Tweet

7 hours ago, ashmatuk said:

No.

It was, seriously

7 hours ago, ashmatuk said:

I'm assuming its no or it would be news everywhere.

Don't assume as it makes an ass....

I hope it's an NX release, that'd be frankly awesome although the thought of a Rockstar game on a Nintendo console just makes me shake my head and think nope, won't happen.

Read Dead Revolver was almost finished when Rockstar bought the developer, so they got it in that deal. I'm pretty sure they owned and published it from launch?

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Read Dead Revolver was almost finished when Rockstar bought the developer, so they got it in that deal. I'm pretty sure they owned and published it from launch?

i thought the game was stuck in development limbo? Capcom wanted vampires. The developers didn't. Capcom cancelled it. Rockstar then stepped in. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Redemption is a completely different game and you missed out on what is arguably the best game of the previous generation if you would to make a poll amongst all gamers worldwide. So, uhm, you done messed up?

It's nowhere near that good. People go on and on about RDR but it's pretty basic R* fare, and pales in comparison to GTA V. Fallout 3 also did the whole open world survival thing way better.

That's before I even start on the endless dialogue whilst you hold down 'drive' on your horse between missions. The poor quality samples - and I mean really poor.

It's good, but I can think of at least 30 games from last gen that tower above it.

Bring forth the guillotine.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

A great game is more than just the sum of its parts. There were plenty of niggles with RDR, but the experience was so satisfying it overcame them.

Off with his head!

• Upvote 5

20 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It's nowhere near that good. People go on and on about RDR but it's pretty basic R* fare, and pales in comparison to GTA V. Fallout 3 also did the whole open world survival thing way better.

That's before I even start on the endless dialogue whilst you hold down 'drive' on your horse between missions. The poor quality samples - and I mean really poor.

It's good, but I can think of at least 30 games from last gen that tower above it.

That's outrageous talk. The guillotine is too good for you! 

26 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

GTAV was okay-ish for what it was, but it isn't fit to lick Marston's muddy horseshit encrusted boots.

GTA is a masterpiece and easily Rockstar's best game since Manhunt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's atmospheric with brilliant weather but I thought the controls sucked, the gunplay was mundane at best and the endless horserides got old quick. and FUCK that cattle rounding up shit, about as fun as wiping your arse with sandpaper. I had loads of bugs too which really ruined it. The amazing Mexico entrance, as the music started to play I got off my horse and a coyote bit me and the music just stopped dead. Proper anticlimatic!

My favourite part of this series is the very first level of Red Dead Revolver when you play a young Red learning how to shoot at the creak. Wonderfully atmospheric, just past sunset lighting, awesome music and a great opening, the reflection of the trees in the water was really impressive at the time, shame the rest of the game was good but was just batshit mental - after the opening I thought it would be a serious affair but I remember shooting cowboy clowns (clownboys?) and stuff like that, proper mad stuff

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

Nah, both GTAV and Red Dead Redemption are decent, but Bully was the King. 

Sequel for that was long-rumoured but sadly never appeared. I love Redemption, but would gladly spend another term at Bullsworth.

2 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

i thought the game was stuck in development limbo? Capcom wanted vampires. The developers didn't. Capcom cancelled it. Rockstar then stepped in. 

Yeah, I also thought it went through an iteration of being a Time Crisis style light gun game.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Not having that !

30 games better than Red Dead last gen ? While we're throwing contreversial statements around, much preferred Red Dead to any GTA since San Andreas.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

Could do with a laugh, what would those 30 be?

25 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Not having that !

30 games better than Red Dead last gen ? While we're throwing contreversial statements around, much preferred Red Dead to any GTA since San Andreas.

I don't think it's controversial at all. Last gen was a long one and threw out some  first class games.

Ultimately Red Dead was just a bit dull. It didn't really improve on anything Rockstar had already done, and unless you really, really liked the wild west setting then I don't see the big DRAW.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

TBH I kind of agree with Stanley. The game has an incredible setting yet has the same boring GTA-style missions that either go perfect or have some weird chaotic things going on with the result up in the air. I did enjoy the world, I did not enjoy the game as much. In its defence: it's the only GTA I actually completed.

• Upvote 6

17 minutes ago, Camel said:

The best part of RDR was just moseying around on your horse.  Best atmosphere in a game ever.  You big melons.  

And coming across the two blokes messing around with dynamite :lol:

• Upvote 2