Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS thread

Scummy move holding back content that should be in all versions unless you pay them an extra £20 on top. Is it really too much to ask that you get what they've designed already for £55?

Greed.

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

It's quite common now for 'collector's editions' to not have the game. I don't think they should be called collector's editions. They're 'mad person boxes'. 

Agree completely. But if REmake 2 is any good and has a mad person edition I am going all in whatever the cost.

It's hard to really gauge the value of the extras in the  collectors and ultimate editons - I think I'll be just fine with standard.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

It's quite common now for 'collector's editions' to not have the game. I don't think they should be called collector's editions. They're 'mad person boxes'. 

Agreed, but I'd like to point out that with the game included these tat boxes are just as mad as they are without the game. The only difference is that the madness is more obvious.

In partial defence of tat boxes, if you buy into the game's universe and its lore, then they can be a pretty cool thing to pore over. The Halo Reach limited edition is tremendous - it's absolutely jammed with in-universe tat, all done with an absolutely breathtaking level of investment from the developers. This isn't some contractual obligation imposed on them by Microsoft, where they include issue one of a comic, a 30-page hardback landscape-format art "book", and a soundtrack CD you will never listen to - they really believe in this shit. Done well, tat boxes are like a return to the age of big box computer games, amplified to a colossal degree. 

That said, I struggle to see how anyone is so into the lore of Red Dead Redemption that they'd pay for this particular tat box, or how that notional person's appreciation of the game universe would be enhanced by a pack of cards and a jigsaw. And tat boxes have become hugely more expensive than they were - the Halo one above was £10 more than the retail price; the Destiny boxes are nice, but cost £80 (though at least include the season pass); the above RDR box doesn't even include the game. I can see why it makes it easier for people who want to download the game rather than have a disk (or vice versa), but at that price you'd expect them to at least have some way of accessing the game in there.

• Upvote 2

On 04/06/2018 at 21:44, Revival said:

Scummy move holding back content that should be in all versions unless you pay them an extra £20 on top. Is it really too much to ask that you get what they've designed already for £55?

Greed.

Agreed, multi-tiering like this is bs. I'd pay more for a game if it used a more honest business model (i.e. I wouldn't mind the base version being £60, £70 or more even). But this is the company that has sold 95m+ copies of GTA, probably generating $13bn+ in revenue and yet it's CEO still thinks it's customers are 'under monetized'. This game is going to be rammed with microtransactions. Just hope it doesn't affect the single player aspect, although you can bet they will abandon that after launch. Shame because I really enjoyed RDR and GTAV.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

So this hasn’t cropped up at Sony it Microsoft’s conferences. Do we take it they’re not doing anything for E3 at all?

Now Sony is over, yeah. Rockstar dance to the beat of their own drum.

Confirmed as Switch exclusive. :omg:

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

So this hasn’t cropped up at Sony it Microsoft’s conferences. Do we take it they’re not doing anything for E3 at all?

• Upvote 1

I briefly looked at the picture and thought "why is there a giant katana advertising a western?" before I realised it is the crane arm :facepalm: 

• Upvote 4

Loved RDR on 360 but have zero hype for this. It's out in October and they've not shown anything yet? 

• Empathy 1

32 minutes ago, VN1X said:

Loved RDR on 360 but have zero hype for this. It's out in October and they've not shown anything yet? 

Check the last few pages, there are screenshots and trailers. It looks stunning.

IMG_1601.thumb.JPG.4be7acb33ab3627d9bd2f1ec94c6a603.JPG

I'd rather not see anymore TBH, so I can go in fresh.

6 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Check the last few pages, there are screenshots and trailers. It looks stunning.

IMG_1601.thumb.JPG.4be7acb33ab3627d9bd2f1ec94c6a603.JPG

I'd rather not see anymore TBH, so I can go in fresh.

Any gameplay?

On 06/08/2018 at 21:46, Len said:

Go to A, pick up B, take to C. With variations on the theme. Please god no!

'Course, ya got me ridin' wid ya now, till we get on down to B, and now he don't like C, so ya'd best pay mind to this handcart 'case it rolls in them there glitches, else them Rockstar boys'll have me shootin' this shit all over ageeein! And don't let no rustlers catch ya wid yer dick in yer hand up on this here hill, but yee-fuckin'-ha now cos I'm on ma horse! YEEE HORSEH!

<nobody spawns>

• Upvote 3