Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS thread

1 minute ago, neoELITE said:

The interiors can be a little ropey but then you spend 95% of your time outside - it's still the most visually stunning game I've ever played on any console.  Areas where most players won't even venture to are detailed and breathtakingly beautiful.  Given the achievement list, and it tells you how many people who've got those achievements, I imagine a lot of people rushed through the story mode without doing many side missions.

Yep, it’s an absolute beauty. Like you say, even in places where most players won’t venture. Some of the weather effects and the day/night cycle are absolutely stunning. I guess that’s what made that screenshot stand out so much to me.

3 minutes ago, choddo said:

Sadie was the one exception I thought of when I wrote that. Maybe Tilly.

Once you get into Chapter 5 and 6, a lot of the characters do develop as the tension in the camp ramps up.  I wish I could play it over again for the first time. 

• Upvote 1

This hasn’t probably been discussed but how come when they set up a mission to set light to an oil wagon to scare a train into stopping so they can rob it ... they don’t actually set light to the oil wagon and you stand on it instead?

21 minutes ago, JPL said:

You get what I mean though, right? That screenshot looks really bad. Flat lighting, low res textures, low poly models.

It really is a stunning looking game though in general, so maybe it’s just that particular shot, with it being indoors in such a small area, etc. Nothing to take away from the game, but I just wondered why it looked so rough.

Yeah, I get what you mean, especially the lighting, and the blood splatter is unflattering. Don't agree about low poly models personally, but I've no experience of the One X version to compare.

I watched the same scene unfurl when I encountered it, and the sunlight was streaming through the window and the whole thing looked much better. I'd say the shot shown is just unfortunately poor. In addition, the game looks terrific in motion so even in small scenes like this, you probably don't notice some of the corners being skipped.

I only have one recorded clip of the game, and it's at night time, but in any case:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/fry-crayola/video/67647361

9 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

Would you set light to an oil tanker? 

Im learning a lot about wildlife playing this.

No but then I probably wouldn't stop a train to rob all the passengers either.

HZD put a lot of effort into the main character animations but I remember the facial animations of the quest giving NPCs being pretty poor. RDR2 has a pretty high quality no matter who you're talking to. 

just back to the gfx chat for a min, here's some native pics I've taken over the last couple of weeks, should be a better representation of how it looks on the pov-spec xb1 (hopefully they'll embed):

Big-CThe-Answer-Red-Dead-Redemption2-201

I regularly just stop and take in the scenery, especially when you're up high, the detail is incredible.

• Upvote 6

Totally agree, it's also the lighting that makes it I think. Don't thinking I've ever used the share button so much and sent so many pics.

• Upvote 1

I feel like I’m losing out slightly when playing this because despite playing it through and hugely enjoying it at the time, I can remember almost nothing about RDR1. The sum total of everything I can remember about the first game:

-the ending where the army turn up, and the epilogue where you play as Jack.

-the start, where you get gunned down trying to get into a fortress.

-that bit where you go to Mexico, and a Jose Gonzalez tune plays.

Beyond that, I’m drawing a complete blank. I can’t recall the story or any of the missions, which characters from RDR2 survived to appear in the original game (beyond the obvious, i.e. John and Jack Marston), or who the villain(s) were. This is quite helpful from the perspective of maintaining suspense, but the game seems to be doing the prequel thing of using your knowledge of what happens later to provide context and dramatic irony, but it’s not quite working because I have no idea what’s about to happen, or what the significance of this character or location is.

I suppose it means I can play RDR1 as a sequel right afterwards (although I’m probably going to take a break from westerns for a bit).

• Upvote 2

How far are you in, now? I didn't recall really who were the gang members you take down in RDR1 other than Dutch, but I'm not sure it makes a huge difference.

On 19/01/2019 at 12:29, neoELITE said:

Sadie Adler* (don't read the spoiler) and Pierson are both quite gentle characters and I liked Lenny and Bessie too.  I liked most of them apart from Dutch and Micah. Micah is a complete prick.  John Marsden and his family are fairly nice and Arthur (if you play him as I did) is a saint - out in the wilderness, helping everyone.  If you're throwing dynamite at pigs though like some people, I suppose he isn't that nice :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

Until she turns into the Terminator near the end and in the Epilogue

Look. My Arthur was a goddamn prince. There wasn't a single random calling for help that he would ignore, even when I was sure it was going to be some chump trying to steal my horse. 
But he hated swine. And I won't apologise for that. And if you knew what happened to him when he was 10, you'd understand too.

19 minutes ago, K said:

I feel like I’m losing out slightly when playing this because despite playing it through and hugely enjoying it at the time, I can remember almost nothing about RDR1. The sum total of everything I can remember about the first game:

-the ending where the army turn up, and the epilogue where you play as Jack.

-the start, where you get gunned down trying to get into a fortress.

-that bit where you go to Mexico, and a Jose Gonzalez tune plays.

Beyond that, I’m drawing a complete blank. I can’t recall the story or any of the missions, which characters from RDR2 survived to appear in the original game (beyond the obvious, i.e. John and Jack Marston), or who the villain(s) were. This is quite helpful from the perspective of maintaining suspense, but the game seems to be doing the prequel thing of using your knowledge of what happens later to provide context and dramatic irony, but it’s not quite working because I have no idea what’s about to happen, or what the significance of this character or location is.

I suppose it means I can play RDR1 as a sequel right afterwards (although I’m probably going to take a break from westerns for a bit).

Don't know how far into the game you are but towards the end it does a good job of showing you who from RDR2 will appear in RDR1 and in what capacity. It's brief but it was enough for me, who was in much the same boat as you, to have a "ahhhh! right!" moment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Look. My Arthur was a goddamn prince. There wasn't a single random calling for help that he would ignore, even when I was sure it was going to be some chump trying to steal my horse. 
But he hated swine. And I won't apologise for that. And if you knew what happened to him when he was 10, you'd understand too.

Don't know how far into the game you are but towards the end it does a good job of showing you who from RDR2 will appear in RDR1 and in what capacity. It's brief but it was enough for me, who was in much the same boat as you, to have a "ahhhh! right!" moment.

I'm at the epilogue, which makes me think that if I was going to remember anything relevant about RDR1, I would have done it already.

• Upvote 2

Had a creepy encounter when I rode past a house and a fat lad in dungarees greeted me.

He and his wife insisted I join them as their guest, she went to get dressed and he sent me up to get her/catch her changing. Once sat down they were all flirty and then while the room was going fuzzy after a drink they mentioned something about their parent dying. Wasn't sure I'd heard it right but I got up from the table and shot them both, immediately feeling guilty for getting it wrong. Until I found the bones in their cupboard, dirty bastards.

There was as good video knocking around which went through the story line of RDR1 to set you up/remind you for RDR2 which I watched on one of the gaming sites (I forget which). But if you're in the epilogue then probably a bit late in the day now.

I was the same though, could hardly remember much from RDR1.

12 minutes ago, wullie said:

Had a creepy encounter when I rode past a house and a fat lad in dungarees greeted me.

Hide contents

He and his wife insisted I join them as their guest, she went to get dressed and he sent me up to get her/catch her changing. Once sat down they were all flirty and then while the room was going fuzzy after a drink they mentioned something about their parent dying. Wasn't sure I'd heard it right but I got up from the table and shot them both, immediately feeling guilty for getting it wrong. Until I found the bones in their cupboard, dirty bastards.

Spoiler

If you had taken another drink, you'd fall unconscious and the last thing you'd hear is them robbing you and talking about where to stash it. You awake not far from the house and can go back for revenge. I shot the guy in the face, causing his wife to cry out in anger, then lassoed her, took her to the wilderness, and shot her in the head.

Arthur is such a nice man.