Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS thread

3 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

One of the system things that doesn't really work is that you can convert all of your regular bullets to dum-dums by holding down X for something like 10 minutes in the crafting menu. Alternatively, you can just head-shot everyone in gunfights.

In fact, I don't really bother with the alternative ammo types in general. It's like the Action RPG thing where you can min-max your stats to within an inch of their life, or just play a little better.

The explosive shotgun slugs are a good laugh as are the fire/dynamite arrows. But yes, the rest are not worth the effort.

The crafting is bullshit, and the combat is just a matter of spamming the deadeye. Hunting legendary animals is a bit rubbish too, as it's the same every time - hit three of the golden markers, then open fire with rifle / dual pistols / dynamite arrows / rocket launcher, as you can't damage the pelt. You could write a pretty lengthy essay on everything that's wrong with the game, but somehow it's still absolutely amazing and completely consumes me.

• Upvote 7

On 06/01/2019 at 17:28, SpagMasterSwift said:

I finished the main story and 

Hide contents

Just started the stuff as a different character. Not sure I’m that bothered to see it through tbh, is it worth it?

Of course it's worth it, it's the end of the game. :huh:

Please don't post any spoilers or respond with anything other than a yes/no, but is there a point of no return in this, or can you finish up any side-missions once you've completed the story?

9 minutes ago, K said:

Please don't post any spoilers or respond with anything other than a yes/no, but is there a point of no return in this, or can you finish up any side-missions once you've completed the story?

Yes.

• Upvote 1

Good, I can just amble my way through this while being as big a pest/nuisance as possible. Reckon there's another six months in this....

Any tips on catching legendary fish? I tried to get the bastard living in the lake in the north-east of the map, but once I'd hooked him I couldn't seem to reel him in; I was doing the normal thing of tiring him out by pulling left and right, and then reeling him in when he was knackered, but he never seemed to get any closer.

11 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Are you also pulling ‘up’ on the rod when reeling him in? @K 

It speeds the whole thing up slightly but tbh the whole legendary fish tasks are a chore. I wouldn’t bother. 

I think I was pulling down, which might explain why I wasn't getting anywhere. It did seem incredibly boring - night fell while I was struggling with the aquatic beast - so I'm probably not going to do it again. The legendary animals are a bit dull, but they're at least quick and you get trinkets out of it.

• Upvote 1

I think the hunting in general is a bit naff in this. It's just needlessly tedious, having to find a Pristine animal in the first place, then having the right gun and the right ammo, and then shooting it in the right place in order to get the perfect pelt. I cock it up more often than not, especially with smaller animals. I'm about 20 hours in and haven't even done the first challenge yet where you have to get three perfect rabbit pelts using the small game arrows. I can never seem to get them through the head and always end up ruining the pelt, and because they're so small they're difficult to see until you're more or less on top of them, and then they run away, making it even harder. It's just a ballache, and the rewards don't seem worth it.

Plus I always feel guilty doing it :unsure:

I'll never touch fishing again after almost knackering my hands doing the story (stranger?) mission that seemed to take an age to reel in the bloody thing.

• Upvote 3

I can only do duals by luck. It says pull RT slowly but that doesn't seem to work. Bah. 

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I think the hunting in general is a bit naff in this. It's just needlessly tedious, having to find a Pristine animal in the first place, then having the right gun and the right ammo, and then shooting it in the right place in order to get the perfect pelt. I cock it up more often than not, especially with smaller animals. I'm about 20 hours in and haven't even done the first challenge yet where you have to get three perfect rabbit pelts using the small game arrows. I can never seem to get them through the head and always end up ruining the pelt, and because they're so small they're difficult to see until you're more or less on top of them, and then they run away, making it even harder. It's just a ballache, and the rewards don't seem worth it.

The varmint rifle helps a lot because ammo is way less tedious to get, and using deadeye is handy too. It still took me about 20 rabbit murders to get 3 perfect pelts though.

I feel far worse killing rabbits in the game than gunning down entire town-fulls of innocent townspeople.

24 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

I can only do duals by luck. It says pull RT slowly but that doesn't seem to work. Bah. 

The varmint rifle helps a lot because ammo is way less tedious to get, and using deadeye is handy too. It still took me about 20 rabbit murders to get 3 perfect pelts though.

I feel far worse killing rabbits in the game than gunning down entire town-fulls of innocent townspeople.

I thought you could only get them with small game arrows? That's that it says in the info box when you study them at least.

On 06/01/2019 at 19:42, Moz said:

Just fired this up to give it a second chance, picked up the nearest mission and I'm having a clunky fist fight with a bad caricature of someone with a developmental disability. Sigh.

Don't sigh, it leads on to a really good conclusion and it's well worth doing.

1 hour ago, ChrisN said:

It's badly explained by the game.

What you do is hold RT at a halfway position for a while. The longer you do that, the more Dead Eye time you have to place your shot, but the more likely your opponent will draw before you.

So do you draw early and trust your aim, or wait until your opponent moves and trust your reflexes?

What the fuck were they playing at with the duels anyway?

They threw this totally unintuitive mechanic at you early on in the game, that you could only learn by dying loads, then once you started to get the hang of it, it was completely forgotten!

I’m in the epilogues now and the last duel I had to do was in the Jimboy Calloway Side quest, back in Chapter 2, I think. 

4 hours ago, Mr Cochese said:

It reads more like you’re supposed to press the stick down and hold it. No wonder I can’t do it!

You are, clicking the stick and holding it locks the reel while the fish is pulling, then you stop when it calms down and start reeling it in again.

Minor SPOILER for a little hidden ambient encounter:

Has anyone come across the whispering voices in the woods in the northeast, in Roanoke? I don’t mind admitting that it shat me right up – the fog descending, the little whispers just at the edge of hearing, and then gradually tuning into what they were saying. It’s really, really creepy and amazingly atmospheric, not least due to the thick foliage and the tree stumps that look uncannily like people. Immediately after I walked out, a deer ran into me from behind and knocked me over, which made me jump out of my skin. I assume that was just a coincidence as it seems like quite an odd conclusion to the encounter, but would be interested to hear whether it happened to anyone else.

Random side note: be careful googling stuff about the game. I had something from the endgame spoiled by Google autocomplete of all things, when searching for how to change your character’s clothes.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'm around 70hrs in now and have not done *any* hunting bar the mandatory tutorial/mission-based ones (actually and a couple of the legendaries, but really hardly any), it's not hampered the game for me at all. There's loads of additional stuff like this that you can just take or leave.

16 hours ago, davejm said:

I'll never touch fishing again after almost knackering my hands doing the story (stranger?) mission that seemed to take an age to reel in the bloody thing.

Yeah the first time I tried this it just would not reel in. I gave up and quit it, then tried again and had it caught within a minute. Rotation of the right stick feels horribly unnatural to me, I've not bothered with the fishing since the tutorial.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, K said:

Random side note: be careful googling stuff about the game. I had something from the endgame spoiled by Google autocomplete of all things, when searching for how to change your character’s clothes.

I hope that spoiler is what I think it's going to be.

On 09/01/2019 at 12:57, K said:

The crafting is bullshit, and the combat is just a matter of spamming the deadeye. Hunting legendary animals is a bit rubbish too, as it's the same every time - hit three of the golden markers, then open fire with rifle / dual pistols / dynamite arrows / rocket launcher, as you can't damage the pelt. You could write a pretty lengthy essay on everything that's wrong with the game, but somehow it's still absolutely amazing and completely consumes me.

It took me ages, when trying to hunt the legendary buck. I must have spent a few weeks on and off before I realised you couldn’t damage it. I was trying to headshot it with a bolt action rifle (sometimes a bow). Every time the sod ran off and I didn’t know what I was doing wrong. The game should have communicated this better.

If you craft the Legends of the East satchel (it took me bloody ages to hunt all the animals), you can hold 99 of everything, including chewing tobacco - meaning you can spam deadeye even more frequently/constantly. It really made the game ridiculously easy. Then again, without deadeye, it’s pretty impossible to aim except by using lock on.

On 09/01/2019 at 18:01, Jamie John said:

Plus I always feel guilty doing it 

I stopped all hunting activities in the game after my first and only legendary animal. A fox. 

It was heartbreaking. Never again in a game this realistic. 

The future of games in general is going to have a tough time dealing with the advent of improved graphics. The increase in resolution of home TVs over the past fifteen years has had a slowing effect on graphical improvements, but now I feel technology is catching up just as TV resolution is slowing down (I feel 8k TVs may be a bust). 

Games in the past have been accused of being murder simulators. When the graphics, animation, and overall production are so advanced, some games may well fall under that classification.