Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS thread

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’m not sure what to say to that, as I don’t mash buttons like a petulant child, I don’t play CoD and I also don’t mind quirky controls, but I still find it a needlessly complex and fiddly system. Each to their own though and if you think it’s perfect the way it is, that’s all good. All I was pointing out was that I’ve had plenty of instances where it’s led to some real comedy moments and they’re fun as well. It’s certainly not a fluid system though.

Yes, that comment wasn't directed specifically at yourself, I was talking in general. A holistic view...and more why I find the dismissal of RDR2's controls and systems quite so annoying. But yes, each to their own. 

9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yes, that comment wasn't directed specifically at yourself, I was talking in general. A holistic view...and more why I find the dismissal of RDR2's controls and systems quite so annoying. But yes, each to their own. 

It feels to me like they had the control scheme in place from the start and then as the game grew, the systems expanded and more items could be collected that they had to make do with a setup that wasn’t initially designed for that amount of stuff.

Things like when I want something to eat and go into the radial wheel, it takes an age to scroll through everything I’ve collected to find the right kind of consumable for the meters I need to fill, or setting up your weapons with different ammo, where you end up playing Twister with your fingers!

It all just feels a bit of a struggle to me, not to the detriment of the game, but I can see why people are moaning about it.

Just got to the epilogue after playing this solidly since launch. Masterpiece covers my feelings on it. 

Goddamn love me some Arthur Morgan. 

• Upvote 2

I haven't had any deaths caused by pressing the wrong button, but I have unwittingly started about three or four rapidly snowballing murder sprees that began with me accidentally ploughing into another horseman while playing in cinematic mode and checking my phone with one eye on the telly. You have to be especially vigilant when driving wagons because NPCs don't seem to think it's a good idea to get out of the way of a tonne of horse and wood charging towards them at 60mph, and immediately start shooting you when they get to their feet, which means you have to repay then in kind, of course, as well as any witnesses, hence the murder sprees.

• Upvote 1

I had another one yesterday as well, where a man and his son are building a house just south of Valentine. I stopped by and they asked me to bring them some wood. I played through the side quests and eventually got chance to bring them back a wagon full from the lumber yard. As I approached the house I parked the wagon up and jumped off to go and collect my thanks from the father. No button prompts this time though, so as usual I pressed LT to target him to make the dialogue button prompts appear. Only I didn’t notice I had my shotgun drawn for some reason and ended up aiming straight at him, which caused both him and his son to flee. I immediately got a Witness box pop up for trespassing, so I just wandered off bemused that they both thought I was there for action even though I’d just spent a good half hour of quests to bring them the wood they needed. I left it there in case they still wanted it when they stopped acting so irrationally.

I’ll swing by again in a few days to see if they’ve finished the house. Then murder them for being so ungrateful.

• Upvote 2

Just fired this up to give it a second chance, picked up the nearest mission and I'm having a clunky fist fight with a bad caricature of someone with a developmental disability. Sigh.

10 hours ago, JPL said:

It feels to me like they had the control scheme in place from the start and then as the game grew, the systems expanded and more items could be collected that they had to make do with a setup that wasn’t initially designed for that amount of stuff.

Things like when I want something to eat and go into the radial wheel, it takes an age to scroll through everything I’ve collected to find the right kind of consumable for the meters I need to fill, or setting up your weapons with different ammo, where you end up playing Twister with your fingers!

It all just feels a bit of a struggle to me, not to the detriment of the game, but I can see why people are moaning about it.

I think that's a sign you're not using things often enough. The game is generous with items, so you don't need to hoard for emergencies or run around with half empty meters. You should certainly be using maxing out all the cores and stuff before a mission that has a "no health items" goal. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ChrisN said:

I think that's a sign you're not using things often enough. The game is generous with items, so you don't need to hoard for emergencies or run around with half empty meters. You should certainly be using maxing out all the cores and stuff before a mission that has a "no health items" goal. 

Yeah maybe, but I never really feel the need unless I’m bottoming out. The game is so generous in keeping you alive, that the consumption of items feels a bit perfunctory and more like busywork than something necessary. It’s obviously a tough job to balance these things, so it doesn’t feel too punishing for players who can’t be bothered with it, but that leaves it a bit redundant for people who want to use it. That still doesn’t excuse having to use both triggers, the left stick and the d-pad in some kind of finger gymnastics if I want high velocity bullets in my rifle.

I stand by my thoughts on it. Great game, terrible control system.

• Upvote 1

Coming to the end of chapter 6 (I think).  It's going to be over soon isn't it :(  It's gonna be really sad to see the end of Arthur's story.

• Upvote 3

The realism of the landscape in this constantly amazes me. Like, whenever I see a column of smoke from a campfire out of the corner of my eye, I almost invariably process it as an electricity pylon or the Crystal Palace transmitter, just for an instant, because that’s what my brain is used to seeing in these environments and it makes a momentary category error because the surrounding landscape looks so flipping convincing.

The writing in this is interesting. The main story missions and a lot of the side-missions are beautifully written, rarely playing out how you expect, and with much more nuance and attention to character than we normally get in Rockstar productions, but a lot of the side-missions fall into the same old structure of having Chester P Zaniwack III run out, caper around while shouting at you, and then ask you to kill someone / rob a bank / collect 2,000 pigeons, etc. Which Arthur then agrees to, despite spending most of the conversation saying “what?” or “you’re crazy”. Even the body language of the wacky side-characters is strongly reminiscent of similar characters in GTA. It makes me wonder if they had different writers on board for the main story, because it seems so far ahead of any previous Rockstar game that I struggle to believe the same people were responsible for GTA V. Maybe Rockstar’s narrative people are better at telling stories straight than they are when they’re trying to be funny or trying to do social commentary, which I guess is borne out by Max Payne 3 and RDR1, but neither of those were anywhere near as well-executed as RDR2.

• Upvote 6

25 minutes ago, K said:

The writing in this is interesting. The main story missions and a lot of the side-missions are beautifully written, rarely playing out how you expect, and with much more nuance and attention to character than we normally get in Rockstar productions, but a lot of the side-missions fall into the same old structure of having Chester P Zaniwack III run out, caper around while shouting at you, and then ask you to kill someone / rob a bank / collect 2,000 pigeons, etc. Which Arthur then agrees to, despite spending most of the conversation saying “what?” or “you’re crazy”.

There's definitely a tension there with several of the more wacky side missions, for sure. The crazy Tesla guy, or the menagerie people and so on. There's no reason for Arthur (as opposed to the player) wanting to get involved - although with a few, they sort of try in that eventually they mention money - and because Arthur and co feel so real, it stood out for me too.

21 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

There's definitely a tension there with several of the more wacky side missions, for sure. The crazy Tesla guy, or the menagerie people and so on. There's no reason for Arthur (as opposed to the player) wanting to get involved - although with a few, they sort of try in that eventually they mention money - and because Arthur and co feel so real, it stood out for me too.

It does feel weird because so much of the game is about subverting your expectations and the conventions of games like this, but there’s this sideline of missions where a zany person tells you to go off and collect twenty rock carvings or dinosaur bones or orchids or whatever. Maybe something interesting or unexpected happens when you collect them all, but given that they’re scattered over the whole map with no indication of where they might be, then I can’t really be arsed finding out. It feels like they’re there to sell guidebooks, except it’s all on the internet anyway (I imagine, I haven’t checked).

I would guess it’s in there because the developers wanted some comic relief except, as with GTA, it’s not very funny. It’s a pretty tiny blemish on the otherwise towering achievement of the game, but a bit of an odd relic nonetheless.

On 06/01/2019 at 10:03, Jamie John said:

Really! Blast...

There were all clustered together. I couldn't resist my Django Unchained moment.

Do you think they'll respawn?

I did exactly the same as you the first time, but you should come across at least two more instances of them, just have a bit more patience next time.

---

I've just started Ch6 last night, think I'm at around the 70hr mark overall. So many side quests/bits of functionality I've simply not touched since their introductions however many hours ago that I'd completely forgotten about, treasure maps/weird murders/hunting/fishing.

The only 'wacky' side mission I really enjoyed was the 

Spoiler

Find the Zoo Animals

one. Even though I knew where it was going to end up and it was very OTT as I picked it up right after Arthur's heartfelt 'confession' to Tilly, it was pretty funny and enjoyable. The 'find 30 of these things' ones though? Ooft. No chance of ever doing them.

For those that are interested though - and who don't want to fork out for a guide - check out https://rdr2map.com   
BUT!!  I would urge you to complete the game though first as there are several spoilers on the map that could ruin your fun if you are not careful. 

52 minutes ago, christaylor said:

I did exactly the same as you the first time, but you should come across at least two more instances of them, just have a bit more patience next time.

---

I've just started Ch6 last night, think I'm at around the 70hr mark overall. So many side quests/bits of functionality I've simply not touched since their introductions however many hours ago that I'd completely forgotten about, treasure maps/weird murders/hunting/fishing.

I'm nearing the end of Chapter 6 myself now and I've not seen them once yet. Is there a specific place and time I should be, as I'd love to check them out?

23 minutes ago, JPL said:

I'm nearing the end of Chapter 6 myself now and I've not seen them once yet. Is there a specific place and time I should be, as I'd love to check them out?

IIRC both of the times I encountered them were in the wooded areas not far from where your second camp is located, near Valentine.

Got this the other day and have played for just a few hours. Came across a woman who needed help, so stopped to lend a hand. Must've pressed the wrong button because instead of helping her I strangled her to death, then had to hide the body in bushes.

Probably the grimmest gaming moment for me since Manhunt.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, christaylor said:

IIRC both of the times I encountered them were in the wooded areas not far from where your second camp is located, near Valentine.

Cheers. I’ll have a look later.

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:38, Harrisown said:

Has anyone ever cleared out sn entire town and piled the bodies up and then exploded them?

Tried this several times and it's really not that easy to get the body count/piles of corpses out in the open, hence I've only really done it in a couple of log cabins. Arthurs comment of 'ah ...shit' perfectly sums it up.

Discovering the house that's been struck by

a meteorite was a genuinely shocking moment, especially given that I stumbled across it in a deafening thunderstorm. At first, I assumed it was some kind of murder house, but gradually managed to piece things together. The little vignettes of environmental storytelling that you stumble across in the various houses and cabins you find across the landscape are fascinating. They're usually heartbreakingly grim - i.e. the family who died from what seems to be carbon monoxide poisoning, or the two dead children you find locked in a cabin after their mother went out to retrieve some stolen money, and never came back - but they're almost never what you expect.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, marsh said:

My new favourite thing....

I throw the bodies on fires after I've robbed a camp. Those guys deserve a Viking burial.

Just now, Glasgowchivas said:

You lose honour for desecrating bodies, don't you? 

I haven't noticed that happening, but my honour is pretty low already...

I've spent most of my 6-7 hours play time just galloping about and hunting a bit so far (after arriving in the first camp/town). The scenery and landscape is genuinely incredible. It's all a bit overwhelming really, so big, so much, even in that small area around Valentine. Been killed by a bear, and by wolves so far. Also the controls are FUCKED UP. Yeah I get it's supposed to be awkward but it's incredibly easy to go from wandering around a town to being in prison/running away from chaos thanks to one wrong button press. The not HDR HDR annoys me out of principle, but in general the feeling of playing cowboy is literally otherworldly. 

• Upvote 1

One of the system things that doesn't really work is that you can convert all of your regular bullets to dum-dums by holding down X for something like 10 minutes in the crafting menu. Alternatively, you can just head-shot everyone in gunfights.

In fact, I don't really bother with the alternative ammo types in general. It's like the Action RPG thing where you can min-max your stats to within an inch of their life, or just play a little better.