Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS thread

I was passing through Van Horn last night (what a place by the way, probably my favourite) and I thought I’d stop at the saloon for a shot of whiskey and although it wasn’t showing up as a marker I found a missing poster pinned outside. It was for a little girl that hadn’t been seen for 15 years, with a reward of $100, but that seemed to be it. No marker appeared in an area for me to explore, so I’m at a bit of a loss. Has anyone else done it and can you give me any gentle pointers? Also, where abouts in my satchel can I find the poster, I’d like to examine it again to see if there are any clues I’ve missed?

19 minutes ago, JPL said:

I was passing through Van Horn last night (what a place by the way, probably my favourite) and I thought I’d stop at the saloon for a shot of whiskey and although it wasn’t showing up as a marker I found a missing poster pinned outside. It was for a little girl that hadn’t been seen for 15 years, with a reward of $100, but that seemed to be it. No marker appeared in an area for me to explore, so I’m at a bit of a loss. Has anyone else done it and can you give me any gentle pointers? Also, where abouts in my satchel can I find the poster, I’d like to examine it again to see if there are any clues I’ve missed?

Ah the princess.... A mystery still.

5 hours ago, Danster said:

Ah the princess.... A mystery still.

I’ll keep looking then. I need to scour Van Horn properly. It looks like the kind of place someone could easily go missing.

Can anyone let me know how to get the poster up again? I’ve got so many things in the documents section of my satchel, but none are marked as missing posters.

I recently (and belatedly) discovered that all of my sins in the wider world could be absolved simply by spamming greet to everyone in town as I pass by. I reckon the exchange rate is something like 5 greets to 1 senseless killing, which seems like quite good value. I've also started helping out in a few of the minor stranger scenarios where I couldn't really be bothered in the past - I didn't exactly do my karma many favours previously when I let go of the trap on the hunter's leg halfway through prying it open, for example, though he still seemed happy enough that I saved him when he later managed to repeat the same misfortune. This combination now has me so far into the white that I assume Arthur's canonisation cannot be too far away, especially with the nun owing him a few favours.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I’ll keep looking then. I need to scour Van Horn properly. It looks like the kind of place someone could easily go missing.

Can anyone let me know how to get the poster up again? I’ve got so many things in the documents section of my satchel, but none are marked as missing posters.

It’s a mystery as in no one knows where she is.

Same as Gavin.

Probably

• Upvote 1

I've been trying for a few weeks, on and off, to kill the legendary buck. How are you supposed to do it? I can get in a few head shots between tracking it each time it runs off - but the trail always disappears. Am I supposed to sneak up and lasso it or something?

I'm trying to 100% this but I seem to have come across a bug...

I've done the missions, legendary animals, dreamcatchers, bones, stone carvings etc... - but I have a problem with the Legendary fish.

I have one which i got in a mission with Hamish - but I can't find anymore. I have the map from the fisherman - and they're displaying on my normal game map, but I can't catch any. A friend told me she gets a notification when near a legendary fish (similar to the animal notification) but I don't even get that.

Is it bugged or am I doing something wrong?

1 minute ago, K said:

I don’t want to jinx anything because I’m only up to the start of chapter 4 and there’s plenty of time for it to all go to shit,

Spoiler: It doesn't go to shit. It just gets better.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paul3704 said:

I'm trying to 100% this but I seem to have come across a bug...

I've done the missions, legendary animals, dreamcatchers, bones, stone carvings etc... - but I have a problem with the Legendary fish.

I have one which i got in a mission with Hamish - but I can't find anymore. I have the map from the fisherman - and they're displaying on my normal game map, but I can't catch any. A friend told me she gets a notification when near a legendary fish (similar to the animal notification) but I don't even get that.

Is it bugged or am I doing something wrong?

Have you bought the 'Special' lures from the bait shop in Lagras? You need to be using the relevant lure (Lake/River/Swamp) in order to catch them. I think I only ever got the notification the first time I was in the area and it was added to the map, don't recall it popping back up when I returned to catch them.

Having said that, I keep meaning to check if mine is bugged, as I've caught 4 or 5 of them now and only ever had a reward in the mail from the first one I sent off.

The hands in this game are really good. in particular when Arthur is cracking safes he counts 1, 2, 3 with his fingers. Struck me as cool.

What's not cool is the fucking back-room robberies. Has anyone managed to do one of these without it turning into complete carnage with a massive bounty on them?

2 hours ago, Paul3704 said:

Yeah bought the lures from Lagras, reinstalled the game, no joy.

I've definitely caught legendary fish and they are marked off on your map once you have.  As i'm working from home and it's lunch....

Spoiler

796034228_RedDeadRedemption2_20181210125409.thumb.jpg.8a9c3ec4c456f97ca1f1f66de9cc1a4b.jpg

I posted a week ago that I was near the end then I spent another week to actually finish the game on Saturday. Its taken over four weeks to complete it, well over 200 hours, and i barely did any challenges, only discoverd half the animals, and only killed four Legendary''s. I then spent a few hours doing the odd left over side missions then wiped my save and started a new game.

One of the best open world games I've played in years, probaby Skyrim, certainly the best looking, and easily my GoTY. 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, K said:

I don’t want to jinx anything because I’m only up to the start of chapter 4 and there’s plenty of time for it to all go to shit, but this is one of the best games I’ve played in years. Rockstar are actually really good at telling stories and creating interesting characters when they’re not engaging in sub-South Park profane satire – the writing is excellent. There are a few areas where you need to suspend your disbelief – the world is big, but not so big that it’s entirely believable that the Van Linden gang could remain hidden given that they’ve killed more people than the Wild Bunch, the Hole in the Wall Gang, the Glanton Gang, the Doobie Brothers, Kool and the Gang, Parliament / Funkadelic, and Hall & Oates put together – but generally speaking, the characters are entirely convincing as aging outlaws who’ve stayed on their path for too long and are too skilled to be easily stopped, too poor to retire, and too old to do anything else.

The writing is genuinely great at times, and quite subtle. There was one moment I thought was quite clever in (minor spoilers) one of the Mary Linton missions in St Denis; the mission starts with Arthur waiting outside a stable for Mary, who’s inside trying to retrieve her wayward father. Arthur charmingly, but also extremely menacingly, intimidates a stablehand who backchats him, and threatens to kill him. Later on in the mission, while pursuing her father, Arthur and Mary get inadvertently pushed together in a kind of awkward embrace, at which point we see Mary’s father intimidating an underling in the exact same way as Arthur did previously. That was an unusually neat and efficient bit of storytelling for a videogame I thought, which tells you a lot about all three characters without explicitly saying anything.

It definitely has the feel of a TV series – it’s a long-form discussion of a few key themes. It’s obviously not as good as the things it’s referencing, but it tackles the same ideas as Mad Men – you can never really change, no matter how hard you try- and The Sopranos – are bad people made or born? Can anyone really redeem themselves? It feels like damning with faint praise, but it’s a hell of an thing for a videogame to enter the territory of Mad Men and the Sopranos, and not completely embarrass itself, while still being an extremely compelling game. It feels like the new standard, in terms of technical, aesthetic, and creative achievement.

This is definitively the way I've been thinking about it and probably far more eloquently put than I can. I've been waiting to finish it before saying much and and have just completed chapter 6. But still it continues cowpokes! :)

It is an utterly astonishing game in so many ways and I actually find it very emotional (gasp!) which may just be me being an a sad old man but there you go. Easily goty for me if not the generation and I was Mr Cynical if you go back and read my initial posts on it before release (don't bother, just take my word for it).

I really, really don't want it to to end.

• Upvote 2

I'm in exactly the same boat. It's just fantastic. I've never been consumed by a game like this, certainly not since I was a kid with no money. It's all I've played really, other than a little bit of Pokemon, since it came out. Even when I became all consumed by Dark Souls earlier in the year I was rushing through to get it finished so that I could move onto something else. With this I just want to keep on playing it forever. The characters and the world are so well drawn that I've really not had an issue with some of the slightly shonkier aspects of the game. I don't care that the missions tend to be go here shoot this, or that to start with the controls were puzzling, because I'm just absolutely adoring spending time with these characters in this world. 

It's probably going to be my game of the generation. It reminds me so much of Mass Effect 2 in the way you build relationships with your camp. I'm currently fairly into Chapter 4 and around 49/50% through the story. Do I really have all of what I've done to do again before the credits roll? 

Also, as a little aside, fair play to everyone in here for being so careful about spoilers. The thread's been a great place to share experiences since people have stopped moaning about the (admittedly occasionally puzzling) controls. 

• Upvote 6

The TV series comparison is very apt. I've actually stopped playing this like I do most games (usually only one game at a time) and am playing this maybe twice a week for a few hours each time. Each time I play it I feel like I'm catching up on old friends at the camp and progressing the storyline in small chunks just as I would with a boxset or Netflix show. Not at all how I normally consume games but it's so episodic and methodically paced that it totally works for me.

• Upvote 4

I completed most of Chapter V yesterday afternoon - I assume that I have.

I have a major issue with one element of this Chapter in terms of suspending my disbelief.

If you try and swim anywhere, you drown really quickly but no, the ship goes down and you leap off in the middle of a storm (how did the ship burst into flames anyway) and you wash up on a beach - all of your companions also survive.

I enjoyed that part though. I really wanted to explore there though. Shame it was so fleeting.

I also solved the serial killer side quest too - pretty good stuff and I was glad I did this late in the game as I recognised the places you have to go to to get to the end of it.

Also re: the possible ending and Arthur.

He's coughing. He's coughing a lot :(

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Camel said:

And there was me thinking I was in the no spoilers thread.

You are literally forced past the first murder scene right at the start of the game - at least three times. I don't think you can miss it. Virtually everyone in this thread mentioned it. 

• Upvote 2

Well, I’ve just got the Chapter 5 and...

it’s thrown me a bit! Not because of the change of pace, but because of the location.

I’d picked up in this thread that you take a bit of a detour in this chapter, but I was expecting somewhere different.

I was messing about near the river east of the Bayou, south of Van Horn the other night and I could see lights across the water. I pulled out my binoculars and could see, what I assume to be, a prison. There were buildings surrounded by a big wall and guard towers along the shoreline.

Looking at my map, seems to have uncovered it as a wanted dead or alive region. So I’m guessing I go there at some point.

Once I get through this Chapter I’m going to take a boat over for a look, but am I right in thinking it’s somewhere I’ll end up during the main story?

Also, talking of these wanted dead or alive zones, when does the original Red Dead section of the map open up?

• Upvote 1