Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS thread

7 hours ago, stefcha said:

Don't think you unlock that ability til chapter 4 or 5, but it'll definitely help. It takes a lot of care otherwise, and some luck.

I’m on chapter 2 and saw those red kill spots when I deadeyed some Bison.

Has anybody drank the

witches brew found in an old abandoned cabin? After drinking it I passed out and woke a few yards away from the cabin. Other than that, nothing else seemed to have happened. Is that it? Or is there more of a payoff?

Also, with regards the doctor in Valentine

do you only have a limited time to rob him? The details about it have vanished from my notes

cheers

8 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

Are later chapters much shorter? Because I’m still on chapter 2 (at least I think I am) and 30 odd percent done according to the save file. 

I’m pretty sure that percentage is only how much of the map you’ve uncovered. There’s a separate story completion percentage in the Progress section of the menu.

8 hours ago, JPL said:

@pinholestar Yeah, I have mentioned it a few times now. I keep expecting it to open up, but it still feels very linear and focussed on the area of the map that you’re currently camped in. If I wander outside of that, there’s nothing there. I don’t expect hundreds of quests, it is the Wild West after all, but it’s practically empty. Lovely to look at, but no interaction.

I have actually done the Margaret side mission, which was quite fun to be fair, and pretty meaty. Nothing else has felt as involved as that one though. Any other encounter I’ve had, like the mad preacher I mentioned above, has been so slight and lacking in any kind of gameplay that it’s pretty pointless.

Tomorrow evening I’m going to set out into the wilds for an adventure and I’ll report back on what happens. Hopefully I’ll find something.

This makes little sense to me. Whenever I'm looking for things to do I just can't decide what to actually do, there is simply so much stuff, even from the beginning. I would be quite interested to watch a live stream of your play through and see what exactly you are talking about. Also, don't be afraid to move on with the main story, it's a beast. You are not finishing it any time soon and it also opens up the camp side quests with the other members. 

Did some of the Gungslinger side quests last night and have ended up horseless in St Denis. Hanging around to collect money owed from the theatre then I need to steal a horse or take train back to Rhodes. Did buy a sweet new jacket though. 

Met this unpleasant chap

Spoiler

AF4A705D-19A9-4EBC-AAF7-FBE36A96627C.thumb.jpeg.647a70757fd17838a68351b2e9e75233.jpeg

Arthur’s note about him in his ledger summed up my feelings entirely.

As you’ll notice, he was a pig farmer, so...

Spoiler

GIF_image.gif.6cc2840004534d23a5633f5fe1ccbf82.gif

• Upvote 7
  • Empathy 1

Struggling to get into this, having loved the first game.

I think I just hate being in a gang. Whenever I'm out on my own just hunting, or looking at the scenery (and oh, what scenery!) it's bliss. As soon as I interact with any of the pricks in my camp and go on a mission, it's no fun at all. The combat hasn't clicked with me either, which doesn't help.

I'll give it more time of course. It's one of the best worlds in a game to date, I love just being in it. But only on my own. 

Edit: It does look amazing on my projector at 130” though:

D6A97C8E-CD09-443F-AD7C-3776BD7BDB1B.thumb.jpeg.ac4c97b75895757cbecc0af4489d3d82.jpeg

• Upvote 3

I want to upvote that amazing projector - can only imagine what playing this on that would be like - and also neg it for being so wrong about being part of gang. I love that part! Returning to camp after a week in the wilderness, feeding everyone with all those fucking turkeys I keep getting, checking in with everyone and constantly antagonising Uncle. 

I agree that the game's main strength is when you're on your own, discovering the world but it would be so much less without the gang back home.  I'm still on Chapter 2, I assume that there will be changes to the gang makeup as the story progresses.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Minion said:

Sorry if I missed it but was there an explanation of how to set a permanent load out please?

You can do it at a gunsmith shop apparently. I haven't tried it myself so can't detail the steps but I presume it's when you're interacting with the shopkeeper and getting the Customise/Browse Catalogue options.

Seems it's only a temporary fix though and that over time Arthur will still put his long arms back on the horse, forcing you to re-select the ones you want.

Question for folk who have done more of the Gunslinger questlines...

Spoiler

Killing them gets you their special guns. Was happy with that when I killed the pig farmer prick as I was dropping a worn Cattelman Revolver for his considerably better gun but when I did the next one - the drunk from Rhodes who ends up on the train roof - I didn't want to drop either my Schofield or the new gun for his Mauser. 

Does the game "keep" all these guns, even if it looks like it's forcing you to drop one? Or am I literally forced to choose which gun I want to swap out?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Glasgowchivas said:

You can do it at a gunsmith shop apparently. I haven't tried it myself so can't detail the steps but I presume it's when you're interacting with the shopkeeper and getting the Customise/Browse Catalogue options.

Seems it's only a temporary fix though and that over time Arthur will still put his long arms back on the horse, forcing you to re-select the ones you want.

Question for folk who have done more of the Gunslinger questlines...

Hide contents

Killing them gets you their special guns. Was happy with that when I killed the pig farmer prick as I was dropping a worn Cattelman Revolver for his considerably better gun but when I did the next one - the drunk from Rhodes who ends up on the train roof - I didn't want to drop either my Schofield or the new gun for his Mauser. 

Does the game "keep" all these guns, even if it looks like it's forcing you to drop one? Or am I literally forced to choose which gun I want to swap out?

Yeah you keep them. It's a bit of a stupid prompt because it makes you think that you're going to lose your original weapon.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

I want to upvote that amazing projector - can only imagine what playing this on that would be like - and also neg it for being so wrong about being part of gang. I love that part! Returning to camp after a week in the wilderness, feeding everyone with all those fucking turkeys I keep getting, checking in with everyone and constantly antagonising Uncle. 

I agree that the game's main strength is when you're on your own, discovering the world but it would be so much less without the gang back home.  I'm still on Chapter 2, I assume that there will be changes to the gang makeup as the story progresses.

Ha! It's ok - fortunately we still have words for when a Pos of Neg simply won't suffice. ;)

I take your point - I'm still fairly early in the game. Maybe I just need to get to know them all a bit better.

5 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

I tried this last night and it doesn't seem to do anything from what I can tell. What are the triggers for having your guns suddenly unequipped? If I could work that out at least I'd not get caught with my pants down.

12 minutes ago, Pob said:

I tried this last night and it doesn't seem to do anything from what I can tell. What are the triggers for having your guns suddenly unequipped? If I could work that out at least I'd not get caught with my pants down.

Seems to be either:

When Arthur rides a considerable distance without drawing a weapon

When certain scripted events kick in

or when you start a mission

Much like my experience with GTAV, I tried this with free aim last night using the suggested settings. 

The pos aspect is that those suggested settings do loosen up the right stick aiming nicely and are certainly pretty great. 

...but, I really don't think the game is designed with Free Aim in mind. There's no "sticky retical" aim assist like you find in games like Destiny or Halo and here it's just either snap to or try to slooooowly aim on an ememy. As the game often throws so many encounters at you, it does more feel like the game is designed around snapping to target, then manually adusting your aim for a head shot. So.. pretty much exactly like GTA4, GTA5 and RDR1 then..

23 minutes ago, Danster said:

Yeah you keep them. It's a bit of a stupid prompt because it makes you think that you're going to lose your original weapon.

See I have yet to come across a dropped weapon from a Gunslinger that is better than my custom made Schofields (Ebony and Ivory) so have not picked any of them up. I have only done 3 but this is good to know and will make sure I collect the other ones from now on, even just to have them as 'trophies' :)

12 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Seems to be either:

When Arthur rides a considerable distance without drawing a weapon

When certain scripted events kick in

or when you start a mission

So basically all the time then :P

I've given up trying to understand it, I went to the gun shop yesterday, selected a gun to go on my shoulder and one on my back. A minute later he was holstering one of the guns on the horse and it wasn't equipped in my quick select menu. Whatever the internal logic is for it, they need to just ditch the whole thing and let me just keep my bloody guns. I only ever use a semi-auto shotgun and bolt action rifle when not hunting and bow and arrow and varmint rifle when I'm hunting. Stop stealing them from me for no good reason!

4 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

This makes little sense to me. Whenever I'm looking for things to do I just can't decide what to actually do, there is simply so much stuff, even from the beginning. I would be quite interested to watch a live stream of your play through and see what exactly you are talking about. Also, don't be afraid to move on with the main story, it's a beast. You are not finishing it any time soon and it also opens up the camp side quests with the other members. 

I don’t really get it myself when everyone in here is telling me that the games is brimming with stuff to do.

As an example, last night I fired it up. I was over by strawberry but on my map there were only a couple of icons back at the camp by Rhodes and a single white icon for the wildlife photographer. All miles away.

Because they were so far away, I thought I’d go and look at some little settlements in the area, as someone had mentioned to do in here. I found some abandoned settlement that had a couple of huts and some Indian teepees, but nothing I could interact with except a cigarette card in the main building. Certainly no gameplay there.

Bored with that, I decided to head back into strawberry and on the way I came across two O’driscolls holding up a stage coach. I shot both of them and the driver told me I could have the contents of the lock box. I opened it, but there was nothing of note in there. Minimal gameplay again.

I thought I’d take the stagecoach over to the fence at the farm for something to actually do, but that was just a monotonous journey across most of the map where absolutely nothing happened. It was a beautiful journey to be fair.

After selling the stagecoach I noticed I was near the wildlife photographer mission, so I went and started that. He wanted me to round up some horses so he could take a picture. All that entailed was galloping over to them, then herding them back. Not exactly rich gameplay.

I think it's just that once the gameplay starts to appear it's over before I know it and I'm left wondering which direction to head off in aimlessly again.

That’s where I left it. Probably a couple of hours play, which consisted mainly of crossing the map with a couple of very minimal gameplay interludes. Weirdly I enjoy it, but it’s so slow paced and doesn’t require any kind of sustained concentration. I dunno, maybe it’s not for me. I loved the original though and I recently played AC:O and had endless things to do. Same with Zelda. Even GTAV kept me going for ages. This just seems really empty in comparison to any other open world games I’ve played. Very odd.

• Upvote 1

Had a run in with 2 blokes mugging a woman last night and ran in to try and sort them out but got my guns knocked out of my hands and killed, couldn’t seem to aim or fire at them properly in a way that hasn’t happened before.

Spoiler

My Arthur recently got “sick” is this something that I’m going to have to put up with for the rest of the game?

23 minutes ago, Gorf said:

Had a run in with 2 blokes mugging a woman last night and ran in to try and sort them out but got my guns knocked out of my hands and killed, couldn’t seem to aim or fire at them properly in a way that hasn’t happened before.

My Arthur recently got “sick” is this something that I’m going to have to put up with for the rest of the game?

I haven't had that but I try to keep all my cores as high as poss. Keep necking that booze and chuffing those filterless premiums

...and coughing. You'll get some medicine and a recipe along with the Indian missions, not a cure but it'll help.

16 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Much like my experience with GTAV, I tried this with free aim last night using the suggested settings. 

The pos aspect is that those suggested settings do loosen up the right stick aiming nicely and are certainly pretty great. 

...but, I really don't think the game is designed with Free Aim in mind. There's no "sticky retical" aim assist like you find in games like Destiny or Halo and here it's just either snap to or try to slooooowly aim on an ememy. As the game often throws so many encounters at you, it does more feel like the game is designed around snapping to target, then manually adusting your aim for a head shot. So.. pretty much exactly like GTA4, GTA5 and RDR1 then..

I think dead eye mitigates this. It's extremely powerful and there's always plenty of stuff lying around to replenish it.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

I think dead eye mitigates this. It's extremely powerful and there's always plenty of stuff lying around to replenish it.

Aye certainly. It's all kinda YMMV, and I quite enjoy going for the head shots. The snap to aiming isn't too far away from something like Crackdown.