Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS thread

I have never, ever played a game where doing little to nothing feels so great while doing basically anything feels like such an unwieldly, haphazard chore. It's like someone got the Goat simulator, QWOP and Octodad guys together and gave them a billion dollar budget. Nothing works, everything falls apart the moment you try to interact with it. Everything collapses in on itself as soon as you try to engage with any of the systems. Everything's a dead end because every journey ends with something ruined by the controls or the obtuse systems, or both. It's answer to basically everything is "fuck you" and it's incredibly exhausting. And yet when you're walking between the broken things it's bloody brilliant.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

I was out exploring last night, came across a guy hanging from a tree, stopped to look at got jumped.  I tried to get my gun out but got pulled off my horse and stabbed to death, it was horrific.  Be careful out there people!!

I experienced that same scenario and was similarly jumped.

That's where we differ as I just shot them all dead and then robbed their corpses before having a good look around.

6 hours ago, Danster said:

I got my "drag a victim" challenge done last night when I met a man carrying a woman tied up on the back of his horse. Unfortunately, she was gone by the time I dragged his corpse back to where she was when I lassoed him....

That is weird, as that is the exact same guy I tried to obtain that challenge on. And, yeah, she was gone by the time I'd dragged that dude all over the swamp and then gotten back to her..

• Upvote 1

It’s The other night I went out in the woods looking for a homestead I had a tip-off for, found it, killed the family and took all their stuff. But then tonight, Javier also had a tip-off, and it only turned out to be the same place! So I followed him up there smirking.

All the family were alive again, walking as Lazarus before the eyes of the Lord. Javier  had some cunning sneaking plan, but Arthur’s dose of gout made him fire off his rifle when he’d meant to hide behind a shed. After massacring everyone again, were were pleased to discover that the family’s cash piles and jewellery had also returned from the cold of the grave.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Talk Show Host said:

I knew that most of the things you would pick would be meaningless or simply wrong. Besides, even if there are some logic gaps, which of course there are, its not the end of the world.  You can find them even in the greatest works of art. What you are writing has nothing to do with "most of the story didn't make sense", as you wrote. Some of it you simply got wrong as well if I remember correctly.

Reveal hidden contents

1. The money she gave him was from selling the farm at a loss. You just didn't pay attention.

2. That means nothing. Sadie never cares for anything until the end. You haven't paid attention to her personality and character.

3. Normal game logic over story logic. Minor detail and means nothing to the quality of the story. Happens all the time in games and other media.

4. Randomly? He stole them.

5. I don't get what you mean with Miss O'Shea.

6. When you rob the bank at Valentine you are Wanted Dead or Alive, you can't pay the bounty off.

7. It happened at night in my game.

8. The gang doesn't want to engage in a fight with proper agents, they know they will have an army on them. They just want to escape. You just didn't get it.

Spoiler

1. Might have missed that. Will concede the point. 

2. No. She doesn't care about her life. She cares for her companions and she also cared about getting her bounties caught. Asking John to accompany her in front of Abigail (who had just came back after leaving John for a while) just risked John and Abigail's marriage, and it also risked John's assistance.

3. Hahahaha. Normal game logic over story? What does that even mean? It had nothing to do with the gameplay. It was just shit writing. And "it happens all the time in other media" doesn't make it not shit writing. 

4. So you're saying Dutch lied and had the money the whole time or that he went and got it at some point before the last big job? Then why was he risking everything trying to get one last score? Also, Arthur knows he has the money a good while before the last train job, how come he never calls Dutch on it and keeps going along with all the pointless jobs?

5. Miss O'Shea claimed she had informed on the gang. Coincidentally right about the same time that Micah actually informed on the gang. Quite the coincidence.

6. I paid my bounty. No problem. 

8. They were gonna have an army on them anyway. Killing them would have bought them some time. 

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

It’s The other night I went out in the woods looking for a homestead I had a tip-off for, found it, killed the family and took all their stuff. But then tonight, Javier also had a tip-off, and it only turned out to be the same place! So I followed him up there smirking.

All the family were alive again, walking as Lazarus before the eyes of the Lord. Javier  had some cunning sneaking plan, but Arthur’s dose of gout made him fire off his rifle when he’d meant to hide behind a shed. After massacring everyone again, were were pleased to discover that the family’s cash piles and jewellery had also returned from the cold of the grave.

"It's the blending of said living breathing ever changing open world with its narrative. Obviously production values tie into this, but it's that blending of emergent game play, narrative and mission structure to the point where it becomes so blurred it's almost indistinguishable. That's what marks it out as such a colossal achievement."

1 minute ago, PyramidFace said:

"It's the blending of said living breathing ever changing open world with its narrative. Obviously production values tie into this, but it's that blending of emergent game play, narrative and mission structure to the point where it becomes so blurred it's almost indistinguishable. That's what marks it out as such a colossal achievement."

I had to go into a cave to find a cougar. The game made me get out a lantern as part of a tutorial 40 hours into the game. "Here's how you get out the lantern". Thanks Mr Houser. The cougar then silently attacked me from offscreen and I instantly died because I was holding a lantern.

Here are some ways to fix this:

Don't use this moment to tutor the player about lanterns.

Tutor the player the first time they get out the lantern.

Make the cougar afraid of the lantern because it lives in a dark cave.

Give the lantern a clumsy melee attack.

Make the cave a bit brighter.

Make it so the on-screen prompt to counter the cougar is on screen long enough for the player to read what it says and which button it is, and then press it.

Don't make a geriatric protagonist who moves like my Gran after a wetherspoons fight a cougar in a cave in the first place.

Automatically go into dead eye when you're lunged by a beast.

Have a dodge button which works all the time, not just when you have a gun out.

Make the dodge button work with the lantern out.

Dual wield lantern and pistol.

That's about 30 seconds of the game but you see what I'm getting at.

Then I did a hairy forced stealth main mission and three or four sidequests which all went awry for reasons that didn't make sense to me. Most of them just ended with the questgiver disappearing or deciding they didn't like me mid sentence.

Then I went to a town where I have a 300 dollar bounty for multiple murders and nobody gave a shit. The shopkeeper sold me guns at a discount because I'm an honourable murderer. 

At the next town, the minimap told me to talk to a guy who was complaining that he smelled. I pressed the greet button. Nothing happened. I watched him climb backwards and forwards over the same fence for a while. Suddenly he screams "oh god" and sprints away. I'm immediately wanted for no apparent reason and the cops kill me over a 30 dollar bounty.

Then I helped what looked like a sentient rock who was being attacked by wolves. "Help me, I won't be killed by no wolf" the rock said. I killed the wolves. There was a minimap icon to interact with inside the rock but nothing to target. I think the questgiver spawned inside the rock. 

Find 2 perfect pelts. Riding to trapper. Face painted man with fast forwarded animation comically sprints out of nowhere and stabs me before I can pull out my gun. Lose both pelts.

All of this happened in about 90 mins. Frustrating session.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Not to go all Console Wars but the difference between the Pro and X is significant. Whereas on the Pro it feels like a magnificently realised suggestion of all this detail and texture and foliage, on the X it's just all there, crisp and clear. It's absolutely remarkable even on a 1080p screen. Can't wait to get a 4K telly in a couple of weeks. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Aeglos said:

The cougar mission was amazing. The lantern tutorial pops well before you get into the cave proper and the cougar only attacks after the quest giver dies.  I found it very atmospheric and incredibly tense.  I explored with a drawn pistol in one hand and the lamp in the other and deadeyed it as soon as it made an appearance....loved it. 

Same here. It was very intense and atmospheric. 

13 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

To be fair though they are a bunch of lonely nerds. And I guess never having had a girlfriend is a girlfriend issue... of sorts. 

You’ve got worse dialogue than anything the game, and unlike Marsden it’s been pretty consistent to character throughout.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What are the symbols in the top right when at camp? I'm keeping on top of the food, but I've got no idea what the other two are, the game hasn't told me.

7 hours ago, Moz said:

I had to go into a cave to find a cougar. The game made me get out a lantern as part of a tutorial 40 hours into the game. "Here's how you get out the lantern". Thanks Mr Houser. The cougar then silently attacked me from offscreen and I instantly died because I was holding a lantern.

Here are some ways to fix this:

Don't use this moment to tutor the player about lanterns.

Tutor the player the first time they get out the lantern.

Make the cougar afraid of the lantern because it lives in a dark cave.

Give the lantern a clumsy melee attack.

Make the cave a bit brighter.

Make it so the on-screen prompt to counter the cougar is on screen long enough for the player to read what it says and which button it is, and then press it.

Don't make a geriatric protagonist who moves like my Gran after a wetherspoons fight a cougar in a cave in the first place.

Automatically go into dead eye when you're lunged by a beast.

Have a dodge button which works all the time, not just when you have a gun out.

Make the dodge button work with the lantern out.

Dual wield lantern and pistol.

That's about 30 seconds of the game but you see what I'm getting at.

Then I did a hairy forced stealth main mission and three or four sidequests which all went awry for reasons that didn't make sense to me. Most of them just ended with the questgiver disappearing or deciding they didn't like me mid sentence.

Then I went to a town where I have a 300 dollar bounty for multiple murders and nobody gave a shit. The shopkeeper sold me guns at a discount because I'm an honourable murderer. 

At the next town, the minimap told me to talk to a guy who was complaining that he smelled. I pressed the greet button. Nothing happened. I watched him climb backwards and forwards over the same fence for a while. Suddenly he screams "oh god" and sprints away. I'm immediately wanted for no apparent reason and the cops kill me over a 30 dollar bounty.

Then I helped what looked like a sentient rock who was being attacked by wolves. "Help me, I won't be killed by no wolf" the rock said. I killed the wolves. There was a minimap icon to interact with inside the rock but nothing to target. I think the questgiver spawned inside the rock. 

Find 2 perfect pelts. Riding to trapper. Face painted man with fast forwarded animation comically sprints out of nowhere and stabs me before I can pull out my gun. Lose both pelts.

All of this happened in about 90 mins. Frustrating session.

I don’t get why people are negging this. It all sounds pretty legit to me.

While nothing as extreme, I’ve been able to walk into the sheriff’s office in Valentine and pick up a bounty even though I had a huge price on my own head. The sheriff didn’t seem to give a fuck. There are countless bugs littered throughout the game, that do interfere with the gameplay, whether you find them amusing or not.

I really need to pick up Edge to see their reasons for the 10. I know scores and opinions are subjective, but I’m intrigued to know why they’ve chosen to ignore the game’s many faults. It either really must ramp up from Chapter 4 and continue to build towards an epic finale or the end game, after the credits have rolled, is something special that we haven’t seen before.

I am loving it though, despite its obvious shortcomings, but because of them I can’t see how it could ever be awarded a perfect score. Anyway, here’s hoping I’ve got the best to come after I wrap up Chapter 3.

• Upvote 1

I fell for the old ‘I’ve hurt my leg, please jump off your horse and help me’ trick when a woman and her two companions tried to rob me. I killed the men and hogtied the woman. Put her on my horse and rode straight to the sheriff to give her some justice. 

Sadly this prompted a mission and now I’m stuck with this crazy woman hanging off the back of my horse. I guess I’m meant to either let her go or kill her. I’m not down with either of those choices so she will serve her time with me for as long as the game will allow it.

• Upvote 4

I tried feeding an unconscious theif to an alligator and it was more interested in me.

Putting folk down on their own campfires makes it look like an accident.

This is pretty cool.

As an aside after 30+ hours I'm pretty much used to the controls now and only on rare occasions do I accidentally shoot people in the face. I spend most of the time just faffing about there's so many lovely touches in the world that its easy to have achieved absolutely nothing after an hour of play but to feel totally fulfilled by it.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Stanshall said:

Not to go all Console Wars but the difference between the Pro and X is significant. Whereas on the Pro it feels like a magnificently realised suggestion of all this detail and texture and foliage, on the X it's just all there, crisp and clear. It's absolutely remarkable even on a 1080p screen. Can't wait to get a 4K telly in a couple of weeks. 

Have you decided on which telly yet dude?

Those wild boars are vicious, they come barrelling out of the woods at you and I caught one sniffing around/eating a raider I’d disposed of on the trail. Proper Deadwood disposal.

2 hours ago, Thwomp said:

What are the symbols in the top right when at camp? I'm keeping on top of the food, but I've got no idea what the other two are, the game hasn't told me.

It took me ages to work this out. There are symbols in the camp area on the map that relate to these that had "!" next to them, but going over to where the symbols are doesn't let you do anything, you need to go into the ledger and order supplies/upgrades for the health/supplies/ammunition to restock the camp. Then the red symbols in the top right will turn grey/yellow.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Danster said:

I got bloody mugged in St Denis... can't believe I fell for it, what a bumpkin.

Anybody know if I can get back at the muggers?

Was it the guy in 

Spoiler

the tailor's?

If so, yes, it's possible but I think it needs to be immediate. I chased him down and got my money back but accidentally barrelled a woman down the stairs in doing so.

Just now, christaylor said:

It took me ages to work this out. There are symbols in the camp area that relate to these that had "!" next to them, but going over to where the symbols are doesn't let you do anything, you need to go into the ledger and order supplies/upgrades for the health/supplies/ammunition to restock the camp. Then the red symbols in the top right will turn grey/yellow.

Surely it only took you as long as it took to look at the ledger, where it says order supplies/restock.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Danster said:

I got bloody mugged in St Denis... can't believe I fell for it, what a bumpkin.

Anybody know if I can get back at the muggers?

Run after him, and beat him up.