Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS thread

The duelling draw thing is nowhere near as bad once you realise you can practice it anywhere you want. It's great for dealing with fools who think they're going to hold you up on the road.

"Hey there mister, that's a real nice horse ya got there."

*POW* right between the eyes.

"Put your hands up real slow and start handing over your valuables"

*BOOM* one less stick up artist.

"Help, help! I've been bitten by a snake!"

*KA-POW* Well shit. No-one saw that, right...

• Upvote 2

the more i play this just exploring etc... since finishing the story, the more ive come to the conclusion that rock star have pulled the wool over our eyes and have actually create a western horror world to play in ala bone tomahawk!! some of the things you find out there in the wilds people and other things are just horrific!

this is def up there in my list of best games of all time - just so much to see and do that is not story related!

23 hours ago, pinholestar said:

For those who are finding the movement and aiming a little unresponsive and sluggish then try these control settings that after much experimentation I’ve found to hit the perfect sweet spot:

Third Person:

Look Sensitivity: 7 notches from the right 

Aim Sensitivity: 5 notches from the right

Aim/Look Acceleration: 2 notches from the right

Aim/Look Dead Zone: All the way to the left (i.e. set to zero)

7 notches is dead centre where it's default?

13 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

7 notches is dead centre where it's default?

Yep, I guess so. I was just adjusting them so much that I ended up using 'notches from the right' as a way to consistently remember which settings I was using. It's the deadzone and acceleration that really make the difference, in my experience. They're the settings that worked for me but it's obviously going to be down to personal preference. It should look like this:

45421906-2302166679811514-17776002355397

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

the more i play this just exploring etc... since finishing the story, the more ive come to the conclusion that rock star have pulled the wool over our eyes and have actually create a western horror world to play in ala bone tomahawk!! some of the things you find out there in the wilds people and other things are just horrific!

this is def up there in my list of best games of all time - just so much to see and do that is not story related!

There was a main story mission, descending into some caves, if you remember... It lasted a few minutes but it's one of the most unsettling things I have played lately. I literally had to stop to compose myself between failures.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

There was a main story mission, descending into some caves, if you remember... It lasted a few minutes but it's one of the most unsettling things I have played lately. I literally had to stop to compose myself between failures.

Yeah I know the mission you are taking about and I was the same. Non story mission but check the camp on the edge of aurora basin you will need the canoe to reach it 

40 minutes ago, papalazarou said:

I honestly wish I could find all these things to see and do that aren’t story related.

Actually I found the mysterious hill house yesterday, but you can’t even go in it. There didn’t seem to be anything to do in the area either, so I wandered off disappointed. I then stumbled across the witches camp, but again it was empty. I had a drink of some strange brew from the cauldron but all it did was make the screen go black and plonk me outside. Nothing of interest there either.

I am really enjoying it, but I wish there was more meat to it.

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

I honestly wish I could find all these things to see and do that aren’t story related.

Actually I found the mysterious hill house yesterday, but you can’t even go in it. There didn’t seem to be anything to do in the area either, so I wandered off disappointed. I then stumbled across the witches camp, but again it was empty. I had a drink of some strange brew from the cauldron but all it did was make the screen go black and plonk me outside. Nothing of interest there either.

The map is literally bursting with this kind of stuff though, try going to each of the unnamed small squares on the map which indicate small settlements, the majority have interesting characters or things to look at / pick up.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Gorf said:

The map is literally bursting with this kind of stuff though, try going to each of the unnamed small squares on the map which indicate small settlements, the majority have interesting characters or things to look at / pick up.

I must have been unlucky so far then, because all the ones I go to are either locked up, deserted or have nothing of interest there.

Like the two I mentioned above. They feel as though there’s a reason for them, but there’s absolutely nothing to do there. Should there be, or are they supposed to be so pointless? It seems a waste.

18 hours ago, Majora said:

For the life of me I can't understand why Arthur sometimes randomly leaves weapons on my horse. I know your loadout is generally reset after a mission but often I swear I will mount my horse outside of a mission with two weapons and leave with one. 

Similarly the game seems to change what weapons he is carrying at times, which is a bit annoying when I got into a big action packed story quest last night and was lumbered with the sniper rifle and Lever repeater instead of the shotgun I usually carry. 

20 hours ago, stefcha said:

I need perfect rabbit pelts for a hunting challenge. I can barely find the little bastards, never mind catch them, never mind further doing them in perfectly. How am I best doing this? Where's the best place to find hundreds of them just sitting in the open? I've got a varmint rifle with all the trimmings, small game arrows for the bow and a total lack of patience.

I do need some more small game arrows (although they seem a bit useless so far). I'm at Horseshoe Camp, is it not actually possible to sit and craft anything here? Can't seem to work it, surely I'm not going to have to wander out of camp in order to pitch camp just to see if I even have the right stuff to make some more? 

I accidentally threw dynamite at a menagerie* of rabbits. For some reason, the game decided that their skins were all "poor" - fuck you Rockstar!

*it isn't a menagerie, it's a husk

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I have had literally hundreds of things to do all the time. Main missions, side missions, strangers, hunting missions, fishing missions, random events while traveling, stole wagons, farmhouses, did legendary hunts, searched for crafting materials to craft stuff, found gang hideouts, etc. I even had a couple of horse racing random events. 

How on earth do I drag someone behind my horse for 3300ft (1km) without them dying and it not counting? I feel like a serial killer I've dragged that many strangers to their doom, without success.

I still don’t understand how saving works. Loading the same save yields different times of day and places. Is it just loading mission and character progress but not world, location or time of day?

Is there a way to turn off the camera automatically tracking a nearby bear/wolf/couger/whatever while on horseback? It's fucking infuriating!! 

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

Is there a way to turn off the camera automatically tracking a nearby bear/wolf/couger/whatever while on horseback? It's fucking infuriating!! 

There is. Just turn off 'follow camera' completely I think

I'm trying to remain as blind as possible playing this so haven't been reading threads. Is it possible to plough through the main story and then just play the side missions/ explore indefinitely afterwards? 

11 minutes ago, BubbleFish said:

I'm trying to remain as blind as possible playing this so haven't been reading threads. Is it possible to plough through the main story and then just play the side missions/ explore indefinitely afterwards? 

Yes and no there are some side missions that are only available when playing the main story - the rest can be played once the story is competed 

• Upvote 1

:lol: 

Perfection! :sealclap:

edit: We've gone for the same beard and tache combo. It really suits Arthur. I didn't like the look of Arthur in the trailers at all, but in the game with a decent beard and tache he looks awesome. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Yep, I guess so. I was just adjusting them so much that I ended up using 'notches from the right' as a way to consistently remember which settings I was using. It's the deadzone and acceleration that really make the difference, in my experience. They're the settings that worked for me but it's obviously going to be down to personal preference. It should look like this:

45421906-2302166679811514-17776002355397

This is mine, which has been serving me well since restarting the game due to the camp bug:

IMG_3155.jpg

I use free-aim. The above allows you to turn quickly when not ADS (but makes shooting from the hip very twitchy) but gives you a lot more control when aiming so you don't keep overshooting when moving the cursor. I think maxing out acceleration takes away that weird thing when the reticle goes slow to start with then suddenly rockets past the target.

Also this video popped up on YouTube for me just now which might be of interest:

5 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I accidentally threw dynamite at a menagerie* of rabbits. For some reason, the game decided that their skins were all "poor" - fuck you Rockstar!

*it isn't a menagerie, it's a husk

Are they not ‘poor’ because you burnt them all you pyromaniac!

6 hours ago, JPL said:

I think the time of day can make a difference with some of these and you need to find a way in to others.

I went to a little hut that had an old woman telling me to go put the stash in the cellar - went down there and found a shotgun...lest just say it didn’t end well for the old bag. I guess she was some gang boss but not had any blowback from it...yet anyway.

That crossroads in Rhodes has become notorious for causing carnage. Seems like the AI just can't handle the way all the roads converge at that point so they all end up banging into each other and causing fires. 

I can’t start any missions. The character you have to speak to gets highlighted with left trigger and no extra button prompts come up to talk to them or anything.

I have two missions in chapter 4 and can’t do a goddamn thing about them.