rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

I never saved until I got to camp in chapter 2. Not sure if it auto saves, or if you can select “Story” then “Save game” in the settings, before the world opens up.

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

I am so into how well done the camp hub is - load up a save and it's 7am, lots of people pottering around, saying good morning to each other and me, Pearson and John having a chat by the fire, Lenny is still sleeping and pissed off at me waking him up. The atmosphere is kind of what morning in a campsite feels like actually.

This element is clearly inspired by Bioware, but feels so alive and natural in a way Bioware never even attempted. It's a highlight. 

To be fair, Rockstar's budget for the camp alone is probably higher than entire other games. But yes, it's so so good. The variety of dialogue and NPC behaviour is insane and a lot of it is staggeringly specific.

At one point there's a party at the camp that lasts all night and I literally spent the entire night walking around dancing, singing, drinking, listening to arguments, watching people go to bed and the atmosphere change from full on party to lone drunk person celebrating on his own by the fire, singing. Then everyone getting up commenting on the night before.

It's just ridiculously good and it all feels so organic. It's happening around you whether you participate or not, and can choose to go and listen to conversations or you can just ignore them and outright miss them. People are proactive in approaching you and talking about recent events or how they're feeling rather than standing around in set areas waiting for you to go talk to them like Commander Shepherd on the ME ship. It's absolutely a new bar for this type of thing.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Wallace said:

Until you decide when to save. 

Oh. Thought I'd read you couldn't save till a certain point at the start.

2 hours ago, SteveH said:

As amazing as it looks, I'm convinced Rockstar are incapable of creating an attractive looking female NPC. As with GTA V, all the women look hideous compared to the male characters.

I don't agree. There's that blond buxom girl in your group whos pretty.

Talking of saving, how do you actually do it? It's really annoying me that suspend/resume doesn't seem to work for this on Xbox (anyone got any ideas why this is?), so every time I go back to it, it has to fully load in again and I'm at some random place nowhere near where I left it.

Is there some sort of list of active missions?  I did one where a writer sent me to meet & photograph 4 gunslingers but after doing them all nothing happened.  The bloke isn't where I met him any more so I've just got a camera in my satchel and nowhere to take it.

26 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Suspend/resume is working for me on Xbox but I've had issues in the past generally with it before this game came out.

Are you using any other apps between sessions? I use my Xbox for TV, Netflix, etc, which shouldn’t be a problem, I don’t think. It doesn’t seem to be with other games.

I’m not going to be playing anything else for the next few weeks, so having to wait a few minutes every time I want to jump back in is going to get old fast.

11 minutes ago, JPL said:

Are you using any other apps between sessions? I use my Xbox for TV, Netflix, etc, which shouldn’t be a problem, I don’t think. It doesn’t seem to be with other games.

I’m not going to be playing anything else for the next few weeks, so having to wait a few minutes every time I want to jump back in is going to get old fast.

No nothing inbetween, it's been fine with Red Dead but in the past it's been pot luck - half the time, probably more, it'd just shut itself down completely and need a full restart. No idea what the cause could be.

I killed that legendary best and on my way back to camp my fucking horse promptly wrapped itself around a tree on the mountain pass. The bear skin then rolled down the mountain whereby I was informed I'd fucking abandoned it. Bollocks

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

I was a little surprised when I did a manual save and it said 26%. Is that just counting main story progress? I feel like I've hardly done anything, including missions.

1 minute ago, Dimahoo said:

I killed that legendary best and on my way back to camp my fucking horse promptly wrapped itself around a tree on the mountain pass. The bear skin then rolled down the mountain whereby I was informed I'd fucking abandoned it. Bollocks

It automatically gets sent to the trapper when this happens. You won’t have lost anything.

• Upvote 1

Just now, pledge said:

I was a little surprised when I did a manual save and it said 26%. Is that just counting main story progress? I feel like I've hardly done anything, including missions.

No, you can see your story progress separately under the Progress section of the menu.

The first train stage took me about four goes. The first one, my character fell off the train when I was trying to take cover and kept flopping on the ground so I couldn’t get back on. The second go, the other guy went ahead while I was looting corpses and got shot. The third, I got to the end but must have missed a button prompt to jump onto the roof (it had disappeared), so while I was looking around the other guy jumped up and got shot again. But it was fourth time lucky.

The gameplay is clunky as hell, and it really is trying my patience. My wife thinks I’m just bad at it; she loves it and played it for most of yesterday.

I’m ..... not enjoying the life sim aspects . Eat food , have the right clothes , clean your gun , feed your horse . I want the game to do menial chores for me , not to have to think about them . 

its  a beautiful environment but I fear the realism vs Fun aspect is a little off balance . Still it’s early days yet . When all this stuff becomes second nature it will pick up 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I’m ..... not enjoying the life sim aspects . Eat food , have the right clothes , clean your gun , feed your horse . I want the game to do menial chores for me , not to have to think about them . 

its  a beautiful environment but I fear the realism vs Fun aspect is a little off balance . Still it’s early days yet . When all this stuff becomes second nature it will pick up 

Snap. The "core" management as well as the health/stamina/deadeye bars themselves. It's too much of a ballache. In RDR1, deadeye would recharge over time. It doesn't appear to in this ans has caught me out several times. 

22 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I’m ..... not enjoying the life sim aspects . Eat food , have the right clothes , clean your gun , feed your horse . 

They're the bits I enjoy! In fact I think thats what I spent most of the last 7 hours doing...:unsure: 

• Upvote 2

Deadeye does recharge over time but it's very slow even if your deadeye core is full. If you use it during a mission you can't expect to use it again during the same mission unless you drink a tonic.

Once you get the hang of the life sim aspects they're actually fairly straightforward I think, and not especially frequent. Easy to get overwhelmed with them near the start though, sure.