Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

I’m not really sure how people expect a middle aged, often heavily clothed, world weary, most likely drunk gunslinger to move.

More importantly, to make sure I haven’t missed a ‘prepare your digital download to play ASAP’ step... should the downloads screen be showing ‘Waiting to install’ or should there be a countdown timer like previous digital versions I have purchased?

4 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

I’m not really sure how people expect a middle aged, often heavily clothed, world weary, most likely drunk gunslinger to move.

Ahh my bad, I should have thought the middle aged, heavily clothed world weary drunk gunslinger would move the same as Franklin, Trevor and Michael - puts it all into perspective now :lol:

7 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

I'm guessing it's a 9 or a 10 judging by his comments. When is the new issue out for subs?

7 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Oh I dunno, the same as a fit young black guy in jeans and a t-shirt or a mid 40s redneck with serious mental health problems? :lol:

The control complains is classic rll. People burying the game before they actually realize the extent of the issue. The Mario mention is amazing. :lol:

I have played the game for over 60 hours and I never felt what Kotaku describes, not to that extent. Yes, controls are heavy and can be cumbersome sometimes, but it's a deliberate choice that fits Arthur perfectly. He is portrayed as a "heavy" man, with slow movements and the controls suit him fine.

Yes, they do need improvements and they could be more responsive but they are far from a big problem. If people settle in the pace of the game and stop wanting to run like idiots then they will have more fun for sure, ffs. 

12 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

All that stuff about the movement is true. It’s clunky and heavy and can be very awkward, but it didn’t bother me in the slightest. I don’t play Rockstar games for their controls. 

I sort of see what you're saying (that the experience of playing a Rockstar game transcends the clumsy controls because of all the other positive aspects) but I still find it a little strange that you say you don't play a Rockstar game for the controls. There are a lot of games I don't particularly play for the controls but I would still like them to be as fluid and responsive as possible, ideally.

Just now, Talk Show Host said:

Yes, controls are heavy and can be cumbersome sometimes, but it's a deliberate choice that fits Arthur perfectly. He is portrayed as a "heavy" man, with slow movements and the controls suit him fine.

This argument would only work if a 20 odd year old in GTA5 didn't control the exact same way.

Watching the DF video which demonstrates how character movement is affected by physics and inverse kinametics I think it's fair to say they've spent a lot of time on controls, whether everyone appreciates the results is another thing. 

Nah, this is full immersion at its finest. A protagonist so torn by his motivations and inner turmoil that every single action shows how hard his life has been and he is always one wrong button press away from flippping his horse or stumbling into a hail of bullets.

I couldn’t care less about how other people feel about the controls. Even if it handles exactly... EXACTLY like the original in how you control the character I will be delighted. Now I get that means I am

not asking a lot from Rockstar in that department but so much of this game and the world looks simply incredible!!

1 minute ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Seriously? It’s like saying you don’t go to concerts for the music.

It’s not really though, is it. 

I agree it’s a weird thing to say. I don’t think the controls are ruinous at all. What I’m trying (badly apparently) to say is that when the controls let me down it didn’t bother me. If it was 100 hours of up being down then yes, it’d be a problem. Occasionally walking a little slower than I’d like, or not getting into cover at the first time of asking, is forgivable in the context of everything else the game does, and lets you do. 

To be fair all the early stuff is in small spaces with hard to get in the right position to press button to sit/search/close etc so probably the worst environment for clunky controls, I’ve said further up I hope and suspect it will be less of an issue as the game opens up and you’re exploring and playing out the scenarios rather than the early scripted ones.

Almost like 3 hours into a 60+ hour game isn’t enough to review it!!

8 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Nah, this is full immersion at its finest. A protagonist so torn by his motivations and inner turmoil that every single action shows how hard his life has been and he is always one wrong button press away from flippping his horse or stumbling into a hail of bullets.

:lol:

26 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

is forgivable in the context of everything else the game does, and lets you do. 

Well sure. Rockstar games are all about talking to the monsters in overly long cutscenes before shooting them in the head.

17 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

What score did they give it?

Controls like Donald Trump on mogadon trying to proposition a hooker, worse hair physics than Boris Johnson, a bunch of outlaws less plausible than the DUP and a narrative clumsier than Theresa May trying to negotiate Brexit.

10/10

Being serious for a minute, you can see what Rockstar go for with the extra heft. It's not perfect, but if this controls like GTAV, which was fine, in a less frenetic environment - I don't get the real problem. I actually respect that they've stuck to their guns and said after all of this time, this is still how we want you to play our game because it's our game.

6 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Controls like Donald Trump on mogadon trying to proposition a hooker, worse hair physics than Boris Johnson, a bunch of outlaws less plausible than the DUP and a narrative clumsier than Theresa May trying to negotiate Brexit.

10/10

Brexit got a mention!