Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

2 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Game is not fun and often feels like a chore

Metacritic : 97 "Highest Rated PS4 Game This Year" :rolleyes:

Critics are like a herd of gazelles. 

I'm fairly certain whoever said it's not fun and a chore didn't give it 97%

Crikey, they still do like their clunky stealth sections. Why?

https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/red-dead-redemption-2

For all of the significant improvements Red Dead Redemption 2 has made to an open-world template, however, it still maintains Rockstar’s bullish commitment to a clunky control scheme. Across what’s now four games and two console generations, the company’s characters have lumbered along in what’s meant to convey the weight of a real person in contrast to the light, effortless controls of so many other games. But the result is artificial rather than convincing. Studios like Naughty Dog have proven capable of giving characters a consequential sense of weight without making it a challenge to navigate around a table or requiring you to hold down buttons to move at acceptable speeds. Coupled with middling gunplay feedback and a few too many stealth segments, the chunky act of playing Red Dead Redemption 2 doesn’t feel good so much as it feels, eventually at least, tolerable.

4 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

It seems pretty obvious that the slow and heavy type of movement is deliberate. It does have a tactile 'grounding' to it I guess. But it's not fun. 

I was thinking about that as in the camp you can’t run but then why would you in real life etc so it makes sense but then you try and navigate a room and it almost feels digital, you don’t glide around like a human you lurch and getting through a door isn’t a natural process - it doesn’t feel like a design choice just an old fashioned clunky control system.

Mind, just you wait until you see your man go up some small steps/stairs, it’s like a ballerina and no double stepping, each one on tippy toes :lol:

4 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Game is not fun and often feels like a chore

Metacritic : 97 "Highest Rated PS4 Game This Year" :rolleyes:

Critics are like a herd of gazelle.

How can they justify these scores when the controls - arguably the most important thing a game has to get right - are flawed

Pathetic

Last of us has one of the worst control schemes in living memory ;) 

You read stories about how Nintendo, when designing Mario 64, just spent months having Mario run and jump around an empty space to make sure that bit of the game was fun.  The levels came after. 

I get the feeling Rockstar have the opposite approach, first design an elaborate environment and then place a character with the equivalent of video game arthritis in it so you won’t break it. 

Edit: same goes for naughty dog

17 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

You read stories about how Nintendo, when designing Mario 64, just spent months having Mario run and jump around an empty space to make sure that bit of the game was fun.  The levels came after. 

I get the feeling Rockstar have the opposite approach, first design an elaborate environment and then place a character with the equivalent of video game arthritis in it so you won’t break it. 

Yeah it's almost as if two completely different companies with equally different creative visions working on two completely different kinds of games ended up taking completely different approachs. Spooky. 

3 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

As someone who has lived with arthritis almost my entire life, this just makes the game all the more immersive to me :D

11 hours ago, JPL said:

I’ve only read the EDGE preview and it was pretty glowing. You’d think if anyone would be willing to point out anything a bit ropey, it’d be them, but there was nothing even slightly negative in their write up, so I’m really optimistic.

In the days when magazines handed out high scores like confetti, they were critical by contrast. But in the context of a magazine among the remaining few, I find it hard to dismiss Future's influence re: impartiality. It's one of the last places I'd look for it.

Not saying I'm right, but that's my feeling.

58 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

From my 3 hours of play he has nailed it, the world is incredible but it’s hard work to play it and some very odd moments of QTE that force you to to an action with no control mid way through an action sequence - frustrating and totally removes you from the immersion of the moment and caused me to fail a bit as I hadn’t worked out control had been taken from me to do a QTE.

I can see that when the on rails stuff stops (has for me just now) then the world and exploration will be key to the game but my word it feels like hard work and won’t be troubling GOTY for me on first impressions let alone BOTW’s crown!

To be clear I was saying the review sounded like a parody because of gems like this...

The world of Red Dead Redemption 2 is expansive and engrossing, even while – and often because – the process of interacting with it can be frustrating and inconsistent. Its overwhelming visual beauty invites players in, but its sludgy kinesthetics, jumbled control scheme, and unclear user interface keep them at arm’s length. That artificial distance goes against many commonly understood game design principles, yet also works to help perpetuate the convincing illusion of an unknowable parallel world.

This is basically saying that the gameworld IS expansive and engrossing and any shittiness in the game mechanics serve to improve that immersion!

I mean that is just bollocks... they are reaching massively because some of the game mechanics and controls are a bit stodgy etc and they are trying to wave it away as some genius move :D

And you say he "nailed it" and yet you say that a failing game mechanic element has "very odd moments of QTE that force you to to an action with no control mid way through an action sequence - frustrating and totally removes you from the immersion of the moment ". That sounds like you don't agree and immersion is spoilt by the clunkier gameplay elements.

I just found the excuse Kotaku made rather amusing considering we all know Rockstar games have clunky bits and it isn't some master stroke of immersion just stuff being a bit shit at times... Doesn't stop the games being enjoyable.

6 minutes ago, Escaped said:

In the days when magazines handed out high scores like confetti, they were critical by contrast. But in the context of a magazine among the remaining few, I find it hard to dismiss Future's influence re: impartiality. It's one of the last places I'd look for it.

Not saying I'm right, but that's my feeling.

Perhaps you could wait for their review before jumping to any conclusions.

8 minutes ago, Clipper said:

To be clear I was saying the review sounded like a parody because of gems like this...

This is basically saying that the gameworld IS expansive and engrossing and any shittiness in the game mechanics serve to improve that immersion!

I mean that is just bollocks... they are reaching massively because some of the game mechanics and controls are a bit stodgy etc and they are trying to wave it away as some genius move :D

And you say he "nailed it" and yet you say that a failing game mechanic element has "very odd moments of QTE that force you to to an action with no control mid way through an action sequence - frustrating and totally removes you from the immersion of the moment ". That sounds like you don't agree and immersion is spoilt by the clunkier gameplay elements.

I just found the excuse Kotaku made rather amusing considering we all know Rockstar games have clunky bits and it isn't some master stroke of immersion just stuff being a bit shit at times... Doesn't stop the games being enjoyable.

Yeah I defi misread that, I thought he was knocking the interaction in the incredible world! I mean maybe they are to replicate a control scheme from the era of the game as it feels archaic! 

I found God of War was on the edge at times, clunky character movement and control taken away from you for difficult navigation but the combat system was sublime so you could overlook the movement stuff a little - this has both poor movement and combat so it’s defi standing out as a negative but I’m still invested in the world so maybe I can overcome it in time...

2 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

This is how most places have scored it:

Lets start at 10

-1 for controlling like a tank 

-1 for stealing BOTW cooking mechanic

-1 for not climbing mountains 

-1 because it takes too long to compete 

-1 for taking an age to install

-1 for being 90gig download

+6 because Rockstar paid us

10/10 GOTY 

Cacophonous?