Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

2 hours ago, footle said:

Paulando - I don't know that I have a lot of sympathy: if you've not learnt the button prompts, but you choose to turn them all off, what exactly is the game meant to do?

(If I played Origins again, and I won't because Odyssey is objectively better, I'd choose minimal hud and I *wouldn't* want the tutorial prompts to all be displayed).

I didn’t turn off the button prompts, I set the HUD to minimal. The game shows a small screenshot of what that looks like, without the minimap and a few other bits, but I don’t recall anything about the button prompts being taken away (otherwise I’d have left it on).

I don’t need any sympathy, but I think it highlights that developers generally don’t think about how these things can affect the player. The option was clearly an afterthought in Assassin’s Creed Origins, and the game was designed to be played with the full (incredibly ugly and intrusive) HUD.

Years and years of mindlessly following lines and compass points has turned me off that style of play, and I enjoy getting lost and exploring myself. Heading in the general direction is good enough for me, and makes me appreciate the game world more.

So I’m glad to hear that Rockstar have put some thought into this. What I’ve heard about Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is also encouraging, so I’ll look out for that too when I have the time to play it :)

5 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I didn’t turn off the button prompts, I set the HUD to minimal. The game shows a small screenshot of what that looks like, without the minimap and a few other bits, but I don’t recall anything about the button prompts being taken away (otherwise I’d have left it on).

I don’t need any sympathy, but I think it highlights that developers generally don’t think about how these things can affect the player. The option was clearly an afterthought in Assassin’s Creed Origins, and the game was designed to be played with the full (incredibly ugly and intrusive) HUD.

Years and years of mindlessly following lines and compass points has turned me off that style of play, and I enjoy getting lost and exploring myself. Heading in the general direction is good enough for me, and makes me appreciate the game world more.

So I’m glad to hear that Rockstar have put some thought into this. What I’ve heard about Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is also encouraging, so I’ll look out for that too when I have the time to play it :)

Agree with all this. I applaud Ubisoft for putting fine-grained options for the HUD and other gameplay options in their games but they're just introducing a load of variables that clearly don't get tested against properly. Even Origins, which as you say has a couple of presets so you think they'd be well-tuned, just doesn't work using the promising-sounding 'minimal' option. You can't see the level or health of an enemy, which in an ARPG, as the AC Series has become, makes it annoying to play. 

Rockstar haven't done much better. GTAV lets you turn off the mini-map, but the health/armour/special gauges are attached to the map, so they go too! Plus, the turn-by-turn vocal satnav from GTAIV has been removed, so navigating relies on memory or checking the full-size map.

Luckily it sounds like they're putting special effort into really tuning the game for minimal HUD. Ideally the game would be designed from the ground up for minimal HUD, like Breath Of The Wild and Dishonored, with extra clutter and waypoint options available for babies who can't think for themselves.

2 hours ago, Pob said:

with extra clutter and waypoint options available for babies who can't think for themselves.

I'm going to prefix this with "I'd like to turn off as much of the HUD as possible please", but Navigation isn't what it used to be.

As a society we've basically outsourced it to mapping providers and our phones, and I very rarely miss it when my wife is asking which way we're going while driving along in a car.

7 minutes ago, footle said:

I'm going to prefix this with "I'd like to turn off as much of the HUD as possible please", but Navigation isn't what it used to be.

As a society we've basically outsourced it to mapping providers and our phones, and I very rarely miss it when my wife is asking which way we're going while driving along in a car.

Yes. I can't drive anywhere without a satnav and don't know any road names around where I live. Getting to know a virtual town and then getting lost in the wilderness is an appealing fantasy far removed from real life!

I still don't know about the hud thing. The problem with exciting open world games like this is I have a desire to burn through the main story asap to avoid the inevitable spoilers across Polygon/kotaku etc.Then I can relax a bit and enjoy the game. So the HUD thing will help me get through it asap.

It's not the right way to play is it? I recently blasted through TR and now the extra side missions feel a bit bloaty/pointless, kinda wish I took my time more. It's not like I missed anything amazing.

On 09/10/2018 at 11:52, Paulando said:

I think the exploration aspect of Odyssey is over rated. It is (after 10 odd hours) mostly limited to a simple case of triangulation (eg south of this region, west of a town and in this area) and once you’re within 200 odd meters you get prompted to turn on the eagle drone.

12 minutes ago, hmm said:

Any hint of any promotions for this at release, eg. at supermarkets, as is often the case with FIFA or COD? I'm pretty sure I'll love this, but £50 is a bit steep.

Smyths have it for £45 if you preorder for instore collection. Sadly the days of supermarket price wars for games are long gone so I doubt you’ll find it anywhere else cheaper than that.

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/new-games-coming-soon/coming-soon-playstation-4/red-dead-redemption-2-ps4/p/155755

18 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Smyths have it for £45 if you preorder for instore collection. Sadly the days of supermarket price wars for games are long gone so I doubt you’ll find it anywhere else cheaper than that.

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/new-games-coming-soon/coming-soon-playstation-4/red-dead-redemption-2-ps4/p/155755

Just preordered this deal. There's a Smyths about a mile away from my work so this is perfect, thanks!

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

I'm trying to keep a news blackout now.

Anyone else getting the 'this is really happening' feeling now? Like you almost can't believe it's going to arrive. Haven't felt like this since BotW and the Switch.

Mate, this is PS2 launch levels of hype for me. Headphones will be on and the rest of the world can do one. I'm ridiculously stoked for this. 

I'm a bit gutted I have a 2 week cruise coming up in mid November, will be tempting to urge to try and run through the main campaign in the 2 weeks prior but I probably shouldn't. I worry about the ending been spoiled but like a year or so on and I STILL don't know the end to Horizon Zero Dawn!