rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Am I the only one that thought maybe the Nintendo tweet was a troll/joke then? Certainly that was my first reaction, anyway, and it's subsequent deletion doesn't do anything to make me change my mind.

• Upvote 1

Well, Redemption was set at the end of the Wild West era, so it's unlikely to be a sequel. Plus the leaked map (if genuine) suggests a prequel.

Or were you referring to how I could tell Jack Marston was a bollock-juggling nincompoop?

14 minutes ago, Jazz Glands said:

Well, Redemption was set at the end of the Wild West era, so it's unlikely to be a sequel. Plus the leaked map (if genuine) suggests a prequel.

Or were you referring to how I could tell Jack Marston was a bollock-juggling nincompoop?

What leaked map?

It isn't necessarily a prequel. Cormac McCarthy's western novels - specifically the Border trilogy - take place during the 1940s and 1950s, are explicitly about cowboys and the lingering death of the old west, and have plenty of horses and shootings and run-ins with bandits, so you could presumably set a Red Dead game in the same era. That would tie in with the apparent focus on Mexico from the leaked map as well.

I would be surprised if Rockstar set the game in that era, as I suspect people would prefer a game set in the classic western era of stagecoaches and the frontier, rather than one set in the era of automatic pistols and pickup trucks, but it would totally be possible. 

Red Dead Revolver really didn't grab me, at all, and so I managed to miss out on Redemption. I have it a PS+ freebie, but haven't ever played it. Over the years, though, the fanboyism has appeared strong. Now, this reveal has people salivating.

I guess I'm going to have to play Redemption, aren't I?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Red Dead Revolver really didn't grab me, at all, and so I managed to miss out on Redemption. I have it a PS+ freebie, but haven't ever played it. Over the years, though, the fanboyism has appeared strong. Now, this reveal has people salivating.

If you want to show you face around these parts, yes! ;)

I genuinely have no idea why Rockstar bought the rights to Red Dead Revolver, and made Redemption a loose sequel. I realise that games set in the old west haven't traditionally been much of a draw, but it's not Revolver was a huge success, and billing a new game as "the new game in the Red Dead franchise!" would presumably come a very distant second in terms of exposure to "the new game from the makers of GTA IV".

28 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Redemption is a completely different game and you missed out on what is arguably the best game of the previous generation if you would to make a poll amongst all gamers worldwide. So, uhm, you done messed up?

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Thread Astaire said:

Just amazed you could tell it was a prequel from an image. I wouldn't have had a clue - but your observations make a lot of sense. 

Fistful of Travellers Cheques 2?

• Upvote 2