IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Mr Do 71

Anyone know what the new update to RDR2 is for, as I just wanted to boot it up for a quick trundle only to be treated to a 119gb download.

To which I stuck two fingers up at the screen and took to doing something else.

Why the buggery fuck I can't just play the sodding thing without a new update is beyond my little brain to grasp.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Thor said:

No, because all I'd be doing with that is crushing blacks, creating false contrast. Also, I think my TV is different to yours. :)

I have a Samsung Q85r. It’s a very high level TV. 1500 nits peak so I set that in the game but you can never get the logo to disappear in the paper white setting which I set to about 300 maybe.

normally it looks completely blown out but forcing low hdmi (full?) shifts the black point down and honestly the blacks aren’t crushed. Xbox is awful for crushing blacks. It just correct.

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, I'm on an LG OLED, completely different tech and specs. 

So do I, looks absolutely gorgeous despite knowing the HDR isn't implemented correctly. No crushed blacks at all. I've this one.

Edit: Got the HDR in RDR2 set to 2000 (nits?) and 200 (paper white), fwiw.

It certainly depends on what you want when it comes to RDR2. Spent ages trying to get a vague idea of what 'good' represents with the HDR settings for the game, and in the end nothing comes close to switching it all off and letting the game run as it was probably always meant to - in SDR. 

I'm really no videophile when it comes to this, but the colours just seem so much better to me like this. 

As opposed to the majority of games I've been running on my Series X - with most of these I just let Dolby Vision do its thing and it all looks fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I never gave this game the time it probably deserved on Xbox one. I want to get it again on pc when I finally get a 3080. Videos like these boggle the mind how much effort and detail went into it. 

Did you see there was a part 2 as well?  I saw this video yesterday and downloaded the game again overnight (as I am lucky enough to have actually bloody found a 3080).

Yeah, I’ve watched part 2 as well :D

I tried playing the game again on Xbox, picking up where I’d left off, but my Arthur was in the middle of a field somewhere and I had no idea where I was or what I was doing. I wasn’t quite ready to start all over, as I’d done a lot I think, but now I am. 

I popped it on yesterday and found myself in camp.

For some reason I took out the binoculars and scoured the area. My eyes found the inimitable charms of Miss Grimshawe. 

After a moment she noticed me, winked and made a cheeky face.

I found that to be the best thing I’ve found in a game ever. 

Well, probably not but it made me smile inanely and thank the gods for this game.

48 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I found this game intensely annoying, too long, irritating, fickle, overwritten and just not great anyway other than graphically.

Why the fuck then do I keep wanting to play the damned thing again? :lol:

You know what? That's exactly how I feel. I might have to play through it again and hope this time I get something more from it.

Has it had any upgrade for Series X does anyone know?

23 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Because you were wrong the first time round.

I do actually think this is a possibility; I got given the game to play on stream and while that provided me with a lot of fun and entertainment it was very much in opposite ways to what I imagine to be the highlight of the game - the atmosphere. You just can't get immersed in a game (especially one so heavily focused on story and setting) in that environment. Maybe playing alone would give me a totally different perspective because don't get me wrong, I wanted to love the game.

It was still worth it for the glitches and endless horse accidents however :lol:

21 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Well I’ve just done the intro up to the train robbery again. I love the pace of it. It’s an amazing introduction, with the snowstorm and everything. 

I've done the intro section so many times now, and it's never got boring! I seem to notice different things on each play. 

Although my favourite bit in all the game is with Jimmy Brooks.

Don't care what medium it's in, that whole bit culminating in 'I'll remember that name. I've got a good memory' is just some of the best acting you'll find. It's wonderful, and I'm always captivated by it, despite seeing it play through at least ten times now. Something like that.

1792990205_RedDeadRedemption2Screenshot.thumb.jpg.c6677900e2121d891312dc71417521a5.jpg