rllmuk

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

I have the Xbox One X version of this via Game Pass so thought about starting again (was 2/3rds through). Obv the first bit is setting up the HDR settings. Anyone with an LG Oled have a recommendation for the paper white setting?

Yes, turn HDR off and play it without HDR. ;)

In fairness, I haven't actually played this game since getting my LG Oled. But I'm still half serious with my comment. The game was not made with HDR in mind at all, and the patch didn't make it any better when I played it on my old Samsung 4ktv.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Yes, turn HDR off and play it without HDR. ;)

In fairness, I haven't actually played this game since getting my LG Oled. But I'm still half serious with my comment. The game was not made with HDR in mind at all, and the patch didn't make it any better when I played it on my old Samsung 4ktv.

I downloaded it the day before my new tv turned up. I was expecting great things but it looked worse than 1080p by quite a margin and the HDR didn’t seem very HDR (rocket league, loup2 and death stranding is good HDR)

12 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

I have the Xbox One X version of this via Game Pass so thought about starting again (was 2/3rds through). Obv the first bit is setting up the HDR settings. Anyone with an LG Oled have a recommendation for the paper white setting?

LG OLED owner here. I've set mine on 300, and for peak brightness I've got 3000. It's the best possible setting for my TV with the flawed HDR that RDR2 has, but better than having it off imo.

Sea of Thieves has the the best HDR visuals I've ever seen, which I've used as a reference for RDR2 to get as close as possible to.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, Meerman said:

LG OLED owner here. I've set mine on 300, and for peak brightness I've got 3000. It's the best possible setting for my TV with the flawed HDR that RDR2 has, but better than having it off imo.

Sea of Thieves has the the best HDR visuals I've ever seen, which I've used as a reference for RDR2 to get as close as possible to.

That must be some TV...

• Upvote 2
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Quick question:

My son's trying to get 100% completion (god, that makes me feel old) and is trying to wipe out all the Del Lobo camps.

It says he has 3/4 of them and can't find the last one. The online guides we've looked at seems to be talking about the camp that's the pre-order bonus at Twin Rocks, but it seems odd it would be included in the count if it's not in the game as we, er own it...

Can anyone advise if this is right or he's missing one?

• 2 weeks later...

So I fell off this hard last year after doing chapters 1-3, a load of side missions, exploring and treasure hunting.

Decided I wanted to see it through and the last 2 weeks I've busted through Chapters 4-6 and half of the Epilogue.

My god is this game is excellent, I'd forgotten just how alive the whole world is, its incredible. I love wondering into random encounters and watching stuff go on thats nothing to do with me. Its a masterclass in games design, storytelling and world building. Admittidly the controls are clunky, but everything else is just amazing. Its easily the best looking console game this generation (TLOU2 probably has it bested for facial animations though)

I loved the last 3 chapters and Arthur's story (best protagonist Rockstar have ever done in my book) and now I really need to figure out a way to play RDR1 so I can see this story through. Think I might have to PSNow it.

• Upvote 4
3 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

RDR1 is rumoured to be getting a next gen remake using RDR2 as a base for graphics, physics and wildlife.

A complete remake, or are they taking the recent One X update and adding/replacing assets?

On 15/04/2020 at 07:46, Boozy The Clown said:

Finished Chapter 6 last night. I got the ending I deserved. 

:(

Spoiler

Shot in the face by Micah? Thats what I got cause I was not an honourable cowboy. I didn't even know there were different endings till someone told me.

2 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Oooooo, that would be great. I don't know why it's not on PC yet though. I'd buy it on Rockstar Launcher if it was. 

I think the official reason is that RDR1 is the worst case of spaghetti-code ever in the history of the world and not even Rockstar properly understood how it worked. The idea of even touching it, much less porting it to anything else caused three developers to turn to stone.

2 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

I think the official reason is that RDR1 is the worst case of spaghetti-code ever in the history of the world and not even Rockstar properly understood how it worked.

How is such a thing possible? Surely R* has some of the best coders in the industry who are able to string together decent code?

5 minutes ago, Meers said:

How is such a thing possible? Surely R* has some of the best coders in the industry who are able to string together decent code?

I don't think I've ever read an investigation on it, or if Rockstar ever confirmed it - but the answer seems ubiquitous, with people citing "sources" - but there are some ex-R* devs on record who describe the development as "an organic disaster of the most epic proportions". Taking a guess at it, I suppose it doesn't matter how great your coders are if objectives are unclear and stuff keeps going back for refactoring over and over again, all under what was apparently very poor employment conditions at the time.

In my experience, it's generally not the coders who fuck things up and turn a projects in spaghetti, but rather management who can't decide what it is they actually want it to be and keep changing things.

• Upvote 1

In my experience, spaghetti code is most often the result of unclear or changing requirements. Inexperience can also play a part - if you're unsure how to implement something, there's going to be a lot of trial and error and due to time pressure, some of that will end up in the final code. But that's just another way a lack of clarity can rear its head.

• Upvote 2

Finally giving this a chance on PC, it's on offer on the Epic store for £36 and pence, so if you still have the £10 Epic voucher it's a good deal.

Can we change the thread title to remove the "HDR fix out now" element? Because that's 100% Grade-fucking-A bullshit. I just did some serious A/B testing while also benchmarking. The game looks much better without HDR. The HDR in this game is an afterthought, the game was not made for it. Every scene's use of colour, brightness, and contrast during development will have been tuned for the standard gamut of colours and the standard brightness range. No amount of tweaking the HDR settings will make the HDR mode better than non HDR. It's absolute nonsense.

Game looks stunning at 4k and mostly 60 on my PC. :)

On 16/09/2020 at 14:38, Meers said:

When I looked at the GTAV code there are references to locations from GTA3 in there, their engine seems to be built on iterating over decades and at this stage there’s a lot of redundancy and legacy code, developed by and worked on by hundreds if not thousands of people. Because they generally do the same thing every game it’s not as obvious as Bethesda’s engine legacy, but I’d guess when they were building the first non modern day game in it there will have been a tonnes of trying to work out what they could create by using old systems and what needed new code entirely.