rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Along with my beloved Witcher 3, I think it’s the greatest game I’ve ever played. Finally started properly replaying it on PC, and even at the early stages it’s got its claws deep into me.

I find it hauntingly beautiful at times, and when the game takes control away from you it never feels wrong (as it does with almost every other game that does this). 

It’s absolutely an elegy about the taming of the West, and remarkably well told.

If it was a book, I’d have the folio edition on my shelf ;)

• Upvote 5

I will say that at the moment, the PC version is still chronically buggy. The worst thing being that the trees and other shrubbery goes all ‘matrix’ at times...glitching and juddering about like crazy. Plus a whole lot of other bits and pieces which irritate me.

I love the fact it’s 60fps for sure, but quite honestly at this moment in time, it’s pretty annoying coming from an Xbox X version that never seemed to miss a beat.

Really hope they carry on patching the thing.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I haven't seen any bugs so far on PC. 

The joys of PCs I guess! Always a mix of folk who never have an issue and others who’ll have ‘em.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re not game breaking for me, but they do screw up the atmosphere somewhat. So many variables in the settings that could possibly be the answer, but the tree glitching seems to be fairly common and as far as I can see no real solution.

18 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Likewise. I did have the tree shimmer bug but switching from DX12 to Vulkan solved that.

Vulcan gave me a whole load of other issues :p .

However, I took the liberty of turning off all Nvidia overlays, and it does seem to have decreased the issues significantly. Can’t tell for sure until I’ve spent longer but it does seem better. 

After getting this day one on the Pro and then caving and buying an X and a 4K telly a few days later because I needed to see what this game looked like at its best, I never really got very far with it. I adored the linear opening and couldn't believe how amazing it looked but once the open world became available, I kind of frittered away the momentum and goodwill by doing a lot of nuthin and I lost any sense of stakes or momentum. I sporadically laboured my way through the first couple of chapters and eventually dropped it for a long time shortly after arriving in chapter 3. 

After recently mainlining and really enjoying HZD, another day one purchase abandoned game, I decided to go for a similar approach with this to see whether I could get into it again if I went for a more linear approach. Three days on, I just finished chapter 6. Not only am I now convinced that this is the greatest technical and artistic achievement ever from a photorealistic perspective, I have also been thoroughly gripped by the story and characters. While the side missions seem rather goofier, in a more typical R* way, the main story is nuanced, complex, reflective, and has made me question and analyse my own character and relationships.

As a mechanical creation, as a plaything, it's both overly convoluted and restrictively simplistic but it does have its own unique feel once you accept its weight and pacing. The gunplay also feels nicely heavy and satisfying and brutal. Simple tasks like facing an item you need to collect or turning your horse around can be frustrating and immersion breaking but for the most part, I'm now an apologist for the personality of the controls and the attachment they foster with Arthur. I may never bother with the open world activities now because I spent months pottering around losing the will to progress the game but as a linear narrative set in a staggering game world, it's up there with the best game stories I've ever played through. Can't wait to see what else remains for me. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Fucking hell. That's the exact opposite of everything I thought gaming was about for me these days but I'm sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks. One of the most amazing things I've ever played. From Chapter 6 onwards, I thought that was absolutely incredible. Narrative, character development, direction, the music...

It's got almost nothing that I look for in games nowadays but after I rattled through Horizon Zero Dawn a few weeks ago by mainlining the story, and really enjoying it after years of bouncing off the open world, RDR2 has completely taught me a lesson in not being rigid or prescriptive about 'my tastes'. I obviously have broad preferences and yes, this of course has its flaws, but where it excels, I think it's unparalleled. 

• Upvote 5