rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Along with my beloved Witcher 3, I think it’s the greatest game I’ve ever played. Finally started properly replaying it on PC, and even at the early stages it’s got its claws deep into me.

I find it hauntingly beautiful at times, and when the game takes control away from you it never feels wrong (as it does with almost every other game that does this). 

It’s absolutely an elegy about the taming of the West, and remarkably well told.

If it was a book, I’d have the folio edition on my shelf ;)

• Upvote 5

On 22/11/2019 at 18:26, Stevie said:

I'm enjoying this game like it was a bottle of fine wine.

howlongotbeat.com doesn't seem to suggest 12 minutes.

• Upvote 2

I will say that at the moment, the PC version is still chronically buggy. The worst thing being that the trees and other shrubbery goes all ‘matrix’ at times...glitching and juddering about like crazy. Plus a whole lot of other bits and pieces which irritate me.

I love the fact it’s 60fps for sure, but quite honestly at this moment in time, it’s pretty annoying coming from an Xbox X version that never seemed to miss a beat.

Really hope they carry on patching the thing.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Stevie said:

I haven't seen any bugs so far on PC. 

The joys of PCs I guess! Always a mix of folk who never have an issue and others who’ll have ‘em.

Don’t get me wrong, they’re not game breaking for me, but they do screw up the atmosphere somewhat. So many variables in the settings that could possibly be the answer, but the tree glitching seems to be fairly common and as far as I can see no real solution.

18 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

Likewise. I did have the tree shimmer bug but switching from DX12 to Vulkan solved that.

Vulcan gave me a whole load of other issues :p .

However, I took the liberty of turning off all Nvidia overlays, and it does seem to have decreased the issues significantly. Can’t tell for sure until I’ve spent longer but it does seem better. 

After getting this day one on the Pro and then caving and buying an X and a 4K telly a few days later because I needed to see what this game looked like at its best, I never really got very far with it. I adored the linear opening and couldn't believe how amazing it looked but once the open world became available, I kind of frittered away the momentum and goodwill by doing a lot of nuthin and I lost any sense of stakes or momentum. I sporadically laboured my way through the first couple of chapters and eventually dropped it for a long time shortly after arriving in chapter 3. 

After recently mainlining and really enjoying HZD, another day one purchase abandoned game, I decided to go for a similar approach with this to see whether I could get into it again if I went for a more linear approach. Three days on, I just finished chapter 6. Not only am I now convinced that this is the greatest technical and artistic achievement ever from a photorealistic perspective, I have also been thoroughly gripped by the story and characters. While the side missions seem rather goofier, in a more typical R* way, the main story is nuanced, complex, reflective, and has made me question and analyse my own character and relationships.

As a mechanical creation, as a plaything, it's both overly convoluted and restrictively simplistic but it does have its own unique feel once you accept its weight and pacing. The gunplay also feels nicely heavy and satisfying and brutal. Simple tasks like facing an item you need to collect or turning your horse around can be frustrating and immersion breaking but for the most part, I'm now an apologist for the personality of the controls and the attachment they foster with Arthur. I may never bother with the open world activities now because I spent months pottering around losing the will to progress the game but as a linear narrative set in a staggering game world, it's up there with the best game stories I've ever played through. Can't wait to see what else remains for me. 

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

finally got round to redeeming a free code I got with some hardware. Utterly amazing on pc with everything cranked up. Got totally suckered into the story again.

Only problem is the ultra wide full screen cut scenes fix that's doing the rounds has the most horrendous virus included. Real shame as the game looks glorious.

I think that's a pretty great post, that actually makes me want to go back and give RDR2 another go. I just think it's a shame that your general bitterness towards the forum and people who don't like the same games as you still manages to creep into something otherwise so positive.

It'd be nice if you saw people moaning about games as inconsequential as the bits they're moaning about.

Can someone who has experience with the PC version tell me if it can be modded so enemies/animals don't attack? I want to turn it into my vape and chill game. 

5 minutes ago, Shoes said:

Can someone who has experience with the PC version tell me if it can be modded so enemies/animals don't attack? I want to turn it into my vape and chill game. 

Not that I know of...but if you really want to "vape" and chill you can play as an owl 

• Upvote 3

@Boozy The Clown It's my favourite game of all time and your post goes a fair way to explaining why. The ultimate role playing experience and one I properly cherish, looking back on it. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I just liked a Boozy post. I feel weird.

Hold me . 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Finished this today. Well I say ‘finished it’, but even after 

Spoiler

the many endings and watching the entire credits I still longed to ride across the land soaking up its beauty. 

Often overwhelming, but once conquered the West felt like mine entirely. So glad I went back to finish it off.

Spoiler

17736601-E75E-4A1C-AA39-194961A1257F.thumb.jpeg.51459079e3c543a9fdfc75fa28545037.jpeg

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Not played this yet - weighing up whether to get the PC or PS4 version (I have a standard PS4). Does anyone have a rough idea how the PC version is likely to run at 1440p on the following spec?

Intel i5-7500 CPU (Quad Core, 3.4GHz - 3.8GHz, 6MB Cache)

8GB DDR4 2133MHz UDIMM

ASUS GeForce® GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB

At 150GB I'd need to run it off my HDD rather than SSD as well.

I took the punt on pc in the end. If I'm going to be stuck at home why the hell not.

It looks and runs amazingly. I followed some optimization guide to get Xbox one x equivalent graphics settings and that keeps the frames over 100 and it feels really nice to play with K+M. Such a different experience to the sluggish laggy pad controls.

Im over 90% done. Completed the story etc and I don'y have any bounties available in

Spoiler

Tumbleweed

Might be because I;ve done them... I have no idea. Dont think I have though. Should they appear automatically or are they event related?

14 hours ago, three1ne said:

Im over 90% done. Completed the story etc and I don'y have any bounties available in

Hide contents

Tumbleweed

Might be because I;ve done them... I have no idea. Dont think I have though. Should they appear automatically or are they event related?

I never got those missions to start. Think I've been lied to. 

I did a bounty for that Sherrif over the weekend.

"Bring him back alive so I can have a talk with him before I kill him."

I had a bath/ game of poker/ chat in the store and a night in the hotel before it started.

• Upvote 1

I tried carrying on with my save and can’t make heads or tails of this, so have restarted. 

Does anyone actually use the Cinematic HDR mode? It’s incredibly dull and washed out on my telly. 

And does someone have a link to the post which details how to adjust the settings to make it control a bit better?