Jump to content
IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!


Mr Do 71
 Share

Recommended Posts

I find that reason not to play it bananas. 

I mean, I hadn't played it in so long, I literally didn't know how to get on my horse. 

Stood there unholstering my weapon, then remembered (can't remember now actually). 

But eventually it's like driving a car and if the option is simply to not play, well, that's weird.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This Digital Foundry video on the new HDR is very good:

 

 

Basically, it’s all good except at the very high and low end of the scales there is some compression (blacks don’t get fully black, the sun doesn’t reach peak brightness) seemingly as a stylistic choice to try to preserve some of that cinematic look vs realism. I guess they really want the game to look like an old western rather than the old west. 

 

They still all much preferred the new HDR mode over SDR. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sir stiff_one said:

I find that reason not to play it bananas. 

I mean, I hadn't played it in so long, I literally didn't know how to get on my horse. 

Stood there unholstering my weapon, then remembered (can't remember now actually). 

But eventually it's like driving a car and if the option is simply to not play, well, that's weird.

Why’s it weird?

 

I played through the whole game and never really became comfortable with the systems and it really put a dampener on the experience for me, to the point where I ignored most of it and just pushed on with the main story. I really didn’t get any enjoyment out of a pretty fair chunk of it. Other than the amazing world design and graphics, I really don’t think there’s anything I’d ever want to go back to and that’s primarily down to the complete clumsiness of interacting with it.

 

I’m sure most people weren’t that arsed about it and that’s great, but for us who felt like we were fighting against it, it became a chore, so I can totally see where he’s coming from and don’t find it weird in the slightest.

 

There are so many great games around these days, is it really worth pushing yourself through something you’re not enjoying?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've found I get enjoyment out of Rockstar's heavy controls and weighty protagonists just because they feel a bit different to every other TPS game and in some ways more realistic and cinematic, which I'm sure is intentional. Is it coincidence that many of the player-controlled characters in recent R* games have been chunky middle-aged men?

 

A Ubisoft third-person action game might make me feel like John Wick or Jason Bourne, but RDR2 makes me feel like Nick Nolte in 48 Hours. I wouldn't want all games to feel like that but it has a certain charm. Human Fall Flat is based entirely around trying to wrangle a clumsy humanoid around a play area, and that's great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

No, sounds like you didn’t really enjoy the game. Like I already said, I think as a reason to stop playing, it’s bananas. If you’re not enjoying it then fair enough. 

I did enjoy it, to a degree, but I can totally understand that the clumsy controls/interface can be the barrier to enjoyment that’d put some people off. There’s nothing weird about that.

 

Take Sekiro as another, albeit completely different, example. Some people are finding it far too difficult and it’s putting them off. Should all us who aren’t having those problems call them weird?

 

We all like and are sensitive to different things, there’s nothing wrong or bananas about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Horizon Zero Dawn is the only game I've played where HDR looked better than SDR, everything else (RDR2, GT Sport, Just Cause 4, some others) just look washed out on my Samsung QLED. Maybe you need the contrast of an OLED screen to really make HDR work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Benny said:

Somewhat confused at the washed out colours in the new HDR implementation. Usually more vibrant colours are the most immediately striking benefit of HDR.

 

Not really, it's more about the actual brightness (or darkness) of the colours rather than the colours themselves, and having the entire range of bright and dark within a single scene where appropriate. Generally the intention is for a more natural look, which could well mean less vibrant.

 

That said it's odd that the SDR mode looks so different (including more saturated) compared to the HDR mode. If R*'s vision is for a desaturated look, why doesn't SDR look like that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Pob said:

Not really, it's more about the actual brightness (or darkness) of the colours rather than the colours themselves, and having the entire range of bright and dark within a single scene where appropriate. Generally the intention is for a more natural look, which could well mean less vibrant.

 

That said it's odd that the SDR mode looks so different (including more saturated) compared to the HDR mode. If R*'s vision is for a desaturated look, why doesn't SDR look like that?

Because its not supposed to. The game was clearly made without HDR in mind, and was tacked on for release. Therefore it's more than reasonable to assume that how the game looks in SDR is how the developers always intended it to be. 

 

And having played a lot with both, SDR looks, to my eyes at least, more natural than HDR when it comes to this game. No question. That said, I reckon it's now down to personal taste. Rockstar have clearly done a lot of work to get it closer. But unless they do a complete rework of the colour grading for the game (which I think may be a colossal task), I doubt they'll truly nail it. 

 

31 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

Horizon Zero Dawn is the only game I've played where HDR looked better than SDR, everything else (RDR2, GT Sport, Just Cause 4, some others) just look washed out on my Samsung QLED. Maybe you need the contrast of an OLED screen to really make HDR work.

I have wondered this myself, as I also have a Samsung QLED. However, God of War, and particularly Destiny 2 look fantastic in HDR on my TV. I also don't recall GT Sport looking washed out, but it's been a long while since I played it. Spider-man I honestly couldn't see a difference, at least at launch. Not sure if it's better now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JPL said:

I did enjoy it, to a degree, but I can totally understand that the clumsy controls/interface can be the barrier to enjoyment that’d put some people off. There’s nothing weird about that.

 

Take Sekiro as another, albeit completely different, example. Some people are finding it far too difficult and it’s putting them off. Should all us who aren’t having those problems call them weird?

 

We all like and are sensitive to different things, there’s nothing wrong or bananas about that.

I think you telling me what I think is weird is not weird, is weird.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s a developer choice to have the player controlled HDR mode (game hdr) more washed out. It seems a little odd. Like I am cool with the saturation in the normal game and I could just whack the colour up on my TV for that game but why?

 

The real world is really colourful, especially in the lush wet landscape half the game is set in.

 

The HDR is amazing though in some places on the OLED. I went through one of those bridges with a roof, and looked from there out to the sun glittering off the water and a gash of blinding sunlight through the clouds and you’ve still got the dark inside areas there and it’s like wow ok this looks dope and could not be done on my old screen. The gf happened to be looking at me pottering about and broke off mid sentence (unthinkable) to say how amazing it looked.

 

I didn’t think Tetris Effect looked much different in HDR until you get to the level transitions and the whole screen blows you away in an explosion of light.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/05/2019 at 14:27, Benny said:

Somewhat confused at the washed out colours in the new HDR implementation. Usually more vibrant colours are the most immediately striking benefit of HDR.

 

The game was never designed as a HDR game and then downgraded for its SDR presentation like a true HDR game would be. SDR is the artist's version of the game, the HDR version is a fudge of that. It's explained in the DF video discussion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mushashi said:

and then downgraded for its SDR presentation like a true HDR game would be

I agree with most of your post, but I'm not understanding what you're getting at with this...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's a slightly odd thing I have just found: On my Samsung QLED, increasing the paperwhite setting appears to somewhat alleviate the desaturated/washed out look of HDR. Increasing it to the max of 500 is too much. But at 250, it looks ... acceptable. At 250, there's still a clear difference, but both images are appealing in different ways. 

 

For clarity, I've left peak brightness at 1000, because my TV maxes out at 1000 nits, so anything higher isn't going to work, it's just gonna clip (I assume). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But that above only works in the daytime. At night, it looks absolute SHITE! Switching back to SDR is immeasurably better.

 

I'm sticking with SDR. The game clearly wasn't made for HDR at all, and this halfway-house fix they've put in isn't even halfway. They should have just been honest and released it with no HDR function at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another classic R* experience tonight:

 

Completed one of the new stupid online missions, as in: got the stupid stagecoach into the stupid yellow area, cue black bars starting to come up indicating a cutscene, but my horse hit a rock in the yellow zone and fell down and died, so we got mission failed before the cutscene started and had to restart, even though I had finished it. Then after 5 minutes of waiting on people to restart, they quit and I was kicked out miles away on the other side of a river. 

 

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've come back to playing this after a gap of a few months, is there a graphic somewhere in the game saying "this is what all the controls are" because I'm fucked if I can remember any of them. I've already had to look up online how to quickly get the map up and how to get into eagle eye mode after some confusion misusing the similar-but-not-the-same dead eye mode. Getting into cover in battle remains a mystery button press due to the wooliness of it all, and similarly the button which enables me to climb over a knee high fence also remains inscrutable but fortunately the one time I needed that - when chasing some kid in St Denis - he kindly waited the minute or so it took me of realigning Arthur and hammering buttons until he climbed over. The controls really are unintuitive, at best they become something that don't really hinder you due to continual use and associated memory of that, which is where I'd got to previously. 

 

I can live with that though, it'll come back. What I'm really struggling with is the issue where the game forgets your equipped weapons, it seems to be worse than its ever been. I'm having to make sure I'm equipped getting on the horse, make sure I'm still equipped after getting off the horse then fix if necessary, and it's a real chore. There was a time last night when I equipped, got off, found I'd not got my wanted weapons equipped, got back on (because the ability to get weapons from the horse while on foot seems to be wildly random), equipped then got off again to find no equipped weapons once more. It's worse in scripted missions where you can't get back on your horse meaning once again I'm restricted to revolvers which I don't enjoy as much as the rifles. Driving me up the fucking wall, this, I can't believe it's even still a problem. It's a brilliant game that seems to actively go out of its way to make itself a pain in the arse to actually play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved playing Red Dead 2, and forgave its controls when it was first released, but going back to it recently (after Days Gone) and the controls do really feel sluggish. It actually made me appreciate Days Gone even more, as the fluidity of the main character seemed a million miles ahead of Arthur's shambling adventures.

 

Still love Red Dead though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn't get on with this when i first played it, but gave it another go a few weeks ago, just hit chapter 4 last night and I have totally fallen in love with the game. Controls are not a problem now as I've played it for so long but I did have the thing stefcha mentioned where it swaps your equipped weapons for rubbish ones, this is really annoying at the start of a mission where it won't let you go back to your horse and swap stuff back in.

 

I remember one of the reasons I stopped playing before was my horse randomly changed to a crap one and wasn't in the stable and I lost my cool revolvers, a lot of these bugs seem to be ironed out now, sort of glad I waited so long to play it again. 

 

Really is a stunning looking game, those misty mornings riding into town with the deer bouncing along side and the ducks noisily taking to the air are beautiful to look at.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is such a long game (well, it is how I'm playing it at least - I hate leaving side stories unexplored but they're all so sodding far apart), is there somewhere ingame that tells me how many hours I've put into it? Chapter 6 now and it's getting to the point where I'm thinking "not this again, get on with it" though. Also the longer you play it, the more you can see the smoke and mirrors and that under the skin it just doesn't really work very well and isn't that well designed in so many ways, then you hit a glorious view of a landscape, sun coming up, mist in the trees and you can't help just stare in awe at the magic they've captured. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, stefcha said:

This is such a long game (well, it is how I'm playing it at least - I hate leaving side stories unexplored but they're all so sodding far apart), is there somewhere ingame that tells me how many hours I've put into it? Chapter 6 now and it's getting to the point where I'm thinking "not this again, get on with it" though. Also the longer you play it, the more you can see the smoke and mirrors and that under the skin it just doesn't really work very well and isn't that well designed in so many ways, then you hit a glorious view of a landscape, sun coming up, mist in the trees and you can't help just stare in awe at the magic they've captured. 

 

I think you can only check it is on the website

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr2/overview

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I think you can only check it is on the website

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr2/overview

 

3 days 6 hours 11 minutes with a mere 67.4% completion so far. I thought I'd been playing it longer and done more, unless remaining storyline bits will really bump that number up. 

 

Also there's a fair old spoiler on your image, although I'd assumed something along those lines would happen at some point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, stefcha said:

 

3 days 6 hours 11 minutes with a mere 67.4% completion so far. I thought I'd been playing it longer and done more, unless remaining storyline bits will really bump that number up. 

 

Also there's a fair old spoiler on your image, although I'd assumed something along those lines would happen at some point. 

 

Sorry did not think deleted the image.

You certainly are taking your time with the game, I think I did most of the sidequests but towards the end just focused on the main campaign to finish the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's been a lot of hunting. Not sure why, because it's one of those parts of the game that, when you really get into it, is pretty rubbish. The hunting itself is random chance on animal appearance, the whole bait system is complete rubbish that doesn't really work, legendary hunting is either supremely frustrating (too much activity in this area, etc, when there's no-one or nothing around for miles) or just plain unfulfilling when you do get it going (find two or three "clues" right in front of you, then blow away the magically appearing creature with no nuance whatsoever, then invariably lose the pelt before getting it to a trapper not that it matters as it was worth peanuts and they get it anyway), legendary fishing is one of the most tedious chores that almost always ends in failure. And so on. Yet I couldn't get enough of it for an incredibly long time. 

 

I've spent longer than is sane on the challenges too, some of them are all over the shop with their requirements (and difficulty of achieving them) but I like to plug away. Winning 3 hands of Blackjack with 3 hits or more can get stuffed though, that's just never going to happen. And all this for largely pointless and inconsequential reward! I'm an idiot. I have toned it down a bit of late, but I'm sure I only need 4 yarrow to finish off Herbalist 7 after what must have been hours of scrabbling about for 30 each of currant, yarrow and burdock so why not...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@stefcha if you are still enjoying it then carry on. Some of these challenges just give you more time to enjoy in the created world. I enjoyed doing then in Horizon Zero Dawn because I enjoyed exploring the world & fighting the creatures.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.