Jump to content
IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!


Mr Do 71
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've just finished the 'main game' and reached the epilogue. This has been pretty much the only game I've been playing since the beginning of December. I've heard the epilogue is quite long - any input on how much longer?

 

I am still enjoying the game but also looking forward to moving onto another game soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/04/2019 at 14:30, christaylor said:

I read that Polygon article over the last couple of days (!) and it's right on the money. Despite that I have enjoyed the game a lot, though for a mainstream game its length is absolutely ridiculous. With my limited time these days it's taken me 7 months to get through and I've not even completed the epilogues yet! 

 

But there is no rush.  It's just amazing value for money.

 

My problem right now is that I am struggling to find anything new to play, every time I pick up a game it just feels flat and empty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blimey, just started Chapter 4 and St Denis is just as overwhelming to me as it must be to Arthur!

 

The game has just got progressively better and better. So much so now that it's vying with my beloved Witcher 3 for the best game I've ever played.

 

Coming from someone who gave up on it on initial release due to not getting the controls at all :p 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

This is encouraging to hear. I've been putting this game off because I generally find clumsy control schemes hard to take after a few hours. But... I did enjoy a lot of the incidental stuff in RDR1.

 

The controls are absolutely bizarre, but in general the same as in all of R*'s output...god knows why they are what they are, but it's probably an area where the game's length just means you learn them by some sort of osmosis :p . Plus, there are enough things you can fiddle with in the control setup to make life okay with everything.

 

All I'll say is that if you can get over the hurdle all the anger fades into the background and you're left with something pretty damn astounding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The HDR patch makes a big difference. Just killed the lights in my living room and played a full day and night cycle. Looks amazing. Proper bright sky and detailed shadows, all extremely natural-looking. Good analyses @EvilBoris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, what does the new HDR patch do? Is it just letting you adjust the dynamic range available? I recall that the way they’d implemented HDR before implied that there wasn’t any high dynamic range information in the game to actually render out, just the SDR image “scaled up”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

So, what does the new HDR patch do? Is it just letting you adjust the dynamic range available? I recall that the way they’d implemented HDR before implied that there wasn’t any high dynamic range information in the game to actually render out, just the SDR image “scaled up”.

Pretty much what you said; Evilboris says it better in that vid. However I found it still presented a washed out image compared to the normal SDR look. You have to reduce the paperwhite setting really low and then turn off all your lights so that you're playing in a dark room. Great, if that's your thing; not great if you just want to play in a normally lit room like a normal person. 

 

I'm going to experiment more with it this evening. It's night time that I find suffers the most. Night is supposed to be dark, I find with HDR on in this game it's like turning on night vision - you can see everything. It's the same with Witcher 3's HDR implementation actually - turn on HDR and you'll never need to use Cat, oh and Geralt's hair changes colour. ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I stream single player games on Twitch and this is consistently the most requested, how long do you think it would roughly take to finish (I prefer to play at a slower pace and soak everything in) and do you think it would be an entertaining game to stream? I am slightly concerned that it would be a little boring to watch based on what I’ve heard from others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I stream single player games on Twitch and this is consistently the most requested, how long do you think it would roughly take to finish (I prefer to play at a slower pace and soak everything in) and do you think it would be an entertaining game to stream? I am slightly concerned that it would be a little boring to watch based on what I’ve heard from others.

 

With the caveat that I don’t think any games are entertaining to stream, I know some people like to watch people chill out and talk over a pretty laid back game, in which case this should fit the bill. 

 

In many ways it’s so dull (like during the travel between locations) that it feels a bit like watching someone stream it even when you’re playing it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Pretty much what you said; Evilboris says it better in that vid. However I found it still presented a washed out image compared to the normal SDR look. You have to reduce the paperwhite setting really low and then turn off all your lights so that you're playing in a dark room. Great, if that's your thing; not great if you just want to play in a normally lit room like a normal person. 

 

I'm going to experiment more with it this evening. It's night time that I find suffers the most. Night is supposed to be dark, I find with HDR on in this game it's like turning on night vision - you can see everything. It's the same with Witcher 3's HDR implementation actually - turn on HDR and you'll never need to use Cat, oh and Geralt's hair changes colour. ;)

 

Sounds like they’ve just got a built in version of my TV’s “HDR Effect” mode for SDR content then. Disappointing. Will watch the video later.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And it's not just photogrammetry and all that technical jazz, they've done a phenomenal job setting out things with the sort of balance of scales and density and so on that you get in the real countryside. It's a phenomenal achievement and the bit of the game's development I'd most like to peek behind the curtain of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

And it's not just photogrammetry and all that technical jazz, they've done a phenomenal job setting out things with the sort of balance of scales and density and so on that you get in the real countryside. It's a phenomenal achievement and the bit of the game's development I'd most like to peek behind the curtain of.

 

It'd be amazing to get a 'making of' for this, but I guess going by R* being the secretive bastards they are (and alleged slavemasters ;) ) we'll probably not get it.

 

I do think it's genuinely the most stunning looking game I've ever played though. The only game that has a similar attention to detail is probably something like a Witcher 3 and an Uncharted 4, but in general the landscape of RDR2 remains by far the more appealing than those! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

 

It'd be amazing to get a 'making of' for this, but I guess going by R* being the secretive bastards they are (and alleged slavemasters ;) ) we'll probably not get it.

 

I do think it's genuinely the most stunning looking game I've ever played though. The only game that has a similar attention to detail is probably something like a Witcher 3 and an Uncharted 4, but in general the landscape of RDR2 remains by far the more appealing than those! 

 

Edge magazine once got a big exclusive on the making of GTA, so it is possible. @Nate Dogg III ;)

 

IMG_2503.JPG.db1f34fb2618e3af58c18470561ac260.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Done a lot of testing with HDR on and off this evening. It's gonna be personal taste here. Oddly, I found the night time perhaps looks better with HDR on (something that was way off at launch), but during the day ... it still looks too washed out, it looks dull: the opposite of what HDR should provide.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Done a lot of testing with HDR on and off this evening. It's gonna be personal taste here. Oddly, I found the night time perhaps looks better with HDR on (something that was way off at launch), but during the day ... it still looks too washed out, it looks dull: the opposite of what HDR should provide.

 

Hmm, Pro or X?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/05/2019 at 21:33, Thor said:

Done a lot of testing with HDR on and off this evening. It's gonna be personal taste here. Oddly, I found the night time perhaps looks better with HDR on (something that was way off at launch), but during the day ... it still looks too washed out, it looks dull: the opposite of what HDR should provide.

 

That's what I found, looks great at night (especially in town) but washed out in daylight.

 

I finished the game a week or so ago and I'm now playing RDR1 as a sort of sequel. I played through it back when it came out but thanks to my goldfish memory I can't remember anything that happened, and it's been interesting comparing the two.

 

Apart from the less advanced visuals (which still hold up quite well) the most obvious difference is the more immediate controls, particularly on horseback, where you accelerate and stop so quickly it's almost like driving a car. John Marston sounds exactly the same but his character is a bit more capable and intelligent, and he looks more fierce, like an angry badger.

 

So far Bill Williamson has appeared in a fort and Uncle has been mentioned as living back at John's homestead, and I'm looking forward to seeing who else reappears from RDR2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/05/2019 at 10:15, Haribokart said:

I stream single player games on Twitch and this is consistently the most requested, how long do you think it would roughly take to finish (I prefer to play at a slower pace and soak everything in)... 

 

Comfortably 80+ hrs, especially if you're not rushing through the story. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.