IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Mr Do 71

Why is the game called Red Dead Redemption? I get the 'Redemption' bit, as in both this game and the original the story focuses on a man's quest to 'save' himself, but what's the 'Red Dead' bit about? I think it's interesting that 

Spoiler

the final mission is called 'Red Dead Redemption' as well.

Well:

Spoiler

The 2004 PS4 game Red Dead Revolver was this series' spiritual predecessor. From what I know, it was not an open world game bit featured linear, arcadey levels. It was a bit shooting gallery-esque judging from the little I have seen of it. 

If I'm also correct, then the main character in that game was a gunslinger called Red. I think the Dead-Eye mechanic was still in the game back then so that basically accounts for the title.

Then years later, Rockstar made Red Dead Redemption, a spiritual sequel of sorts. I'm not sure how strongly the games tie together - whether characters or locations appear in both or scene if it's the same in-game world - but it did at least feature "Dead"-eye and "Redemption" as it's main story theme.

To be honest, given they have gone the direct sequel route with RDR2 and embellished the world, story and setting, the original Red Dead Revolver is just more of an interesting curio now. It's definitely a bit of a black sheep and I would imagine a lot of people don't even know it exists. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got any advice as to how I'm supposed to

Spoiler

find these dinosaur bones, rock carvings or the hidden treasure without cheating and using Google? I've wandered around the map for a while and literally not found anything.

Also I'm sad that Arthur is dying :(

My game has been glitching a fair amount recently.

It spawned a cougar right in front of me and my horse as it was going full speed. I ran it over and then stopped to check on it. It was still alive and coming to attack me. I shot it in the face.

I finished a mission, all the textures disappeared, Arthur was floating in the abyss, then half of them loaded, then they all loaded.

I was in a mission, it told me to go to a certain point. I got there, nothing happened. I had to ride away and come back for it to register.

I started a mission, it told me to follow am NPC. The NPC and I had a conversation The type where you ride and talk), except he wasn't moving. He wouldn't move but the game kept telling me to follow him. I kept riding into him and finally he started rising off at full speed. I followed him for a bit quickly realised he wasn't taking me to the correct destination. I followed him all the way from Annesburg to The Heartlands. I gave up and tried to kill him to restart the mission, but he's invincible. I decided to let him ride away. His yellow circle disappeared off the mini map. I checked the map and there were no missions. I decided to ride around a bit more. A few minutes later I got a blue screen on my PS4 and an error code :unsure:

Right then. 

So, I'm going to give RDR2 another go, and see if I can get over the controls issues I've had with it when I had it on the PS4.

I feel rather more confident that this will happen because I've just replayed RDR and I'd forgotten just how freaking amazing that game was (and still is).

God bless you Xbox BC compatibility. 

I honestly can't wait to properly get stuck into it, as RDR's controls are still rather janky, but it never seemed to matter, so I'm kind of hoping the same will become true for me this time.

If it doesn't, I'll probably die a little inside.

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

Right then. 

So, I'm going to give RDR2 another go, and see if I can get over the controls issues I've had with it when I had it on the PS4.

I feel rather more confident that this will happen because I've just replayed RDR and I'd forgotten just how freaking amazing that game was (and still is).

God bless you Xbox BC compatibility. 

I honestly can't wait to properly get stuck into it, as RDR's controls are still rather janky, but it never seemed to matter, so I'm kind of hoping the same will become true for me this time.

If it doesn't, I'll probably die a little inside.

Try out these control settings as they may make the experience a little smoother for you.

So, I think I've succumbed to it's charms. Controls are still a bit of a mystery to me in a lot of ways, but it doesn't seem to matter now. The game's an astonishing thing to behold indeed. If it ever does come out on the PC, I'll be double dipping without any doubt.

You'll start seeing the smoke and mirrors eventually but it's still an astonishing achievement in world building.

Despite voting this as my GOTY I still haven't actually finished it. Think I stopped about halfway through chapter 5 a few months ago. I'm dreading getting back into it to be honest but I do want to see how it turns out. And maybe after this prolonged break I'll start appreciating the world again. I don't think I stopped because I wasn't enjoying it, it just felt like I had spent so long on it to the detriment of everything else.

On 20 April 2019 at 21:06, Majora said:

You'll start seeing the smoke and mirrors eventually but it's still an astonishing achievement in world building.

Despite voting this as my GOTY I still haven't actually finished it. Think I stopped about halfway through chapter 5 a few months ago. I'm dreading getting back into it to be honest but I do want to see how it turns out. And maybe after this prolonged break I'll start appreciating the world again. I don't think I stopped because I wasn't enjoying it, it just felt like I had spent so long on it to the detriment of everything else.

This is exactly what's happened to me. At the start of Ch6 and I saw there is still a good chunk to go. It's the most technically accomplished thing I've played by a mile and the mechanics are fine after a short while. That said, the content of the missions is generally boiling down to the same thing by this point and it feels too drawn out. It reminds me of GTAIV a lot, great tech with a middling group of tasks and a lot of repetition. I'm also finding Arthur to be unlikeable and a bit dull. There was a point where a character tells him that doing something bad isn't really him. It is, though, he's a really horrible person in his actions, so the 'tender' thoughts bits are just jarring and don't work for me. He's just a thug who ruins lives.

So far, then

What you look at and hear 10/10

The bit you play 7/10

I read that Polygon article over the last couple of days (!) and it's right on the money. Despite that I have enjoyed the game a lot, though for a mainstream game its length is absolutely ridiculous. With my limited time these days it's taken me 7 months to get through and I've not even completed the epilogues yet! 

Yes the controls are fucking horrifying, the dramatic structure is a mess, the game constantly holds your hands in frustrating and unnecessary ways while simultaneously not giving you the information you need regarding mission success parameters, and like half the gameplay is poorly disguised QTEs. The combat is only challenging because the controls and physics are like wrestling a fat man made of treacle, and difficulty is only increased by sending out larger waves of one-shoot mooks. There is no “rule” consistency; e.g. stealth kills only seem to work when the game has decided it’s permissible, and your weapon loadout is arbitrarily changed without warning. Look, I only want to use the Varmint rifle, and occasionally a bow for hunting. Don’t make me use a stupid repeater when I purposefully selected the VR because I knew there’d be a mid-long range gunfight in this mission.

It’s an astonishing game in many ways, but it’s certainly not a masterpiece or even R*’s best game to date. In terms of worlds I want to explore, it’s breathtakingly beautiful for the most part but exploration for exploration’s sake gets old.

The article is brilliant - balanced in its criticisms and gives credit where it’s due. I no-lifed the game for ages when it came out ... I’ll finish it one day. I think I’m at the end of Chapter 5.