IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Mr Do 71

Top tip - I didn't realise this until very near the end of the game, but you can season meat with the various herbs you find around the countryside. Just press left or right on the crafting menu while in your camp, and you can add various flavourings that boost your cores.

I know, right? I wondered why the meat was always labelled 'plain venison' or whatever, but never twigged how to change that until very late on. You can only do it with a grill, although I have no idea how I got hold of a grill.

Something I noticed that's worth noting if you've not completed the main quest yet - when you go past a certain point are some side quests that you can't do later as they get removed from the map (one about some getting hold of some moonshine was removed for me). If you're a completist make sure you do them early.

I hate the wanted system in this. I rescued an annoying guy from a camp, my buddies went back to our camp, leaving me to loot the place. I accidentally kick a corpse and despite being several miles from any living human, I'm suddenly wanted and end up dead. 

31 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

That's unrelated to your corpse defiling. As I recall right, that camp gets investigated by the authorities as soon as your buddies leave. 

Oh ok, obviously a coincidence then. It's partly my own fault for sticking around too long, thinking they'd not find me :lol:

Well, i'm still in epilogue part 2, a few missions in.  It's quite possible that 50% of my total playtime is spent here.  I'm happy just existing in the world.  Slow getting through the challenges, doing lots of hunting (for the cash), trying to find a horse that doesn't get spooked by gunfire.  Still finding new stuff all the time.  I'm not sure why I have picked this particular chapter to stop going through the story, maybe because it oddly feels like the beginning of the game.

Challenges so far i'm up to Herbalist 6, Master Hunter 6, Sharpshooter 8 and Survivalist 9.  The rest are all on 2.  Getting real tricky on some of them.

I started the epilogue last night too after three months of playing. Pretty decent ending I thought. 

BIG SPOIL FOR LAST MISSION DO NOT CLICK 

Arthur whispering thank you to his horse as it closed its eyes got me. Poor Jemima 

:( 

• 1 month later...

Ok, I know I'm the last person in the world to play this game. 

Actually very surprised, thought I'd think it was a bit meh, not being a big fan of Westerns etc.

Love the slow pace, just wandering around picking up herbs and looking at the scenery. 

Also travelling from one place to another in cinematic mode is actually enjoyable. I'm happy to get my horse up to speed and stick it in cinematic mode and just watch. I never enjoyed traversing the map in GTA.

I have a few questions:

I just got some money so used it to upgrade the camp. One of the upgrades was improving everyone's tents. What does that actually do? The game didn't make it clear (along with a million other things).

Is selling stuff to the Fence worth the same as donating to the camp? Is there any actual use to any of these items, or should I literally sell them all?

Does the medicine, food and stew replenish itself, or do I need to keep buying more from the lodging book and donating more meat?

If I use fast travel, does my main horse come with me?

If I take the train, does my horse come with me?

1 hour ago, stephen129 said:

I just got some money so used it to upgrade the camp. One of the upgrades was improving everyone's tents. What does that actually do? The game didn't make it clear (along with a million other things).

Upgrading the camp tents is purely cosmetic

Is selling stuff to the Fence worth the same as donating to the camp? Is there any actual use to any of these items, or should I literally sell them all?

Sell stuff to the trapper so he can make clothing for you. Selling to fences is useful. Donating to the camp is mostly pointless once you've bought the camp upgrades you want. There''s so much money/ammo/medicines out there that I ended up donating thousands to the camp for no benefit.

Does the medicine, food and stew replenish itself, or do I need to keep buying more from the lodging book and donating more meat?

Give the cook food just to stop him moaning at you, and there'll always be stew for you. I never tested out whether it would still be made if I didn't give meat. After a bit of hunting you get so much meat anyway that you might as well give it to the cook.

Yes

If you buy a a train/coach ticket then the horse is there when you arrive. If you just jump on a train then the horse will follow it which is useful if you want to jump off at anytime after robbing the train but beware that your horse can be killed if it gets between the train and a cliff side.

42 minutes ago, stephen129 said:

I have a few questions:

Pearson's camp upgrades are mostly visual/cosmetic. Stuff like a pair of antlers by the campfire etc. To be honest for the hassle it takes to find some of the more obscure items most of them are not not really worth it. Some of the satchel upgrades available from him are quite handy though.

Fences are where you sell your valuables as they're classed as stolen goods and so can't be sold to general stores. A few of these are particularly rare and are used for crafting trinkets from the fence that give various stat bonuses but it should tell which ones are specifically required in the fences sale inventory item description. But you should sell the rest. By donating them to camp instead you add their value to the camp's ledger total which will enable you to build the aforementioned camp upgrades. Think the value is the same although I'm not sure. Donating to camp raises your honour though.

You need to go out and hunt for food to donate to the camp to change the food icon from red to white and stop Pearson complaining about it all the time. Stew will always be available though.

Yup.

It'll be waiting at your destination if you buy a ticket. If you rob one it'll run alongside (and often get run over in my experience).

I finally bit the bullet and did the last story mission.  What a fantastic game, the end credits brought a tear to my eye.  There are still some challenges and collecting missions to do but I might be done with it now, the last things I have to do are pretty hard or require me to find people to kill and there seem to be very few bad guys now.

I am struggling to find a game to play that is going to come anywhere near the quality of this.  Well done Rockstar!!

1 hour ago, Cool Ben said:

I am struggling to find a game to play that is going to come anywhere near the quality of this.  Well done Rockstar!!

I’ve heard there’s an amazing new game out this Friday. Not sure what it’s called though...

9 hours ago, stephen129 said:

So I spent $300 on cosmetics?! Motherfuckers.

No, the cosmetic camp upgrades are crafted by pearson after donating pelts etc. The upgrades bought from the log book supposedly encourage the gang to donate more often, and you need to upgrade Arthur's wagon to enable fast travel from there.

Went back to this after a 3 month hiatus. It has such an incredible atmosphere and though I'm still getting the odd thing happening I don't want through its slightly clunky controls it's not jarring as much.

I doubt I'll ever finish it as I seem to lose 3 or 4 hours hunting / fishing and exploring barely engaging with the missions!

I know i could google this myself, but while Googling I've accidentally come across some spoilers before, so I'm asking you guys for help.

1. Do you get anything good from hunting aside from clothes that are only comestic? I'm only interested in items that actually do something.

2. I don't really understand some of the random encounters (white dots on the radar). E.g I save a woman from two gang members then she just runs away, I don't recall getting honour either (although I might be wrong).

3. I have my horse on the highest level, how do I do all those tricks? (I'm on PS4).

1) You need to hunt to make upgrades for your bags etc. which I think upgrade your carrying capacity and reduce stamina loss over time.

2) Like in real life, you don't really know if it'll wind up making a difference later on. Maybe it's nothing, maybe they'll help you out four chapters down the line, maybe it's a set-up for a practical joke...

1 hour ago, stephen129 said:

I have my horse on the highest level, how do I do all those tricks? (I'm on PS4).

Bonding 2 : Rear while stationary (RB/R1 +X/Square)

Bonding 3 : Skid Turn or Skid Stop while moving (RB/R1 + A/X)

Bonding 4 : Piaffe (Hold X/Square) or Drift (Piaffe + Left Analog Stick/L3 right or left)

It is amazing the amount of stuff they've put into the game that is completely incidental and can be ignored entirely if you're not interested.

I'm 82 hours in (which is utterly ridiculous for a mainstream story-led game, not surprised only 24% of gamers have made it to the end achievement!), have FINALLY completed the main storyline, have done no fishing at all (other than the mandatory tutorial bit), no crafting of trinkets/satchels etc. and for the last 20+ hrs at least had completely forgotten you could do any of the horse maneuvers.