IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Mr Do 71

On 19/01/2019 at 12:29, neoELITE said:

Sadie Adler* (don't read the spoiler) and Pierson are both quite gentle characters and I liked Lenny and Bessie too.  I liked most of them apart from Dutch and Micah. Micah is a complete prick.  John Marsden and his family are fairly nice and Arthur (if you play him as I did) is a saint - out in the wilderness, helping everyone.  If you're throwing dynamite at pigs though like some people, I suppose he isn't that nice :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

Until she turns into the Terminator near the end and in the Epilogue

Look. My Arthur was a goddamn prince. There wasn't a single random calling for help that he would ignore, even when I was sure it was going to be some chump trying to steal my horse. 
But he hated swine. And I won't apologise for that. And if you knew what happened to him when he was 10, you'd understand too.

19 minutes ago, K said:

I feel like I’m losing out slightly when playing this because despite playing it through and hugely enjoying it at the time, I can remember almost nothing about RDR1. The sum total of everything I can remember about the first game:

-the ending where the army turn up, and the epilogue where you play as Jack.

-the start, where you get gunned down trying to get into a fortress.

-that bit where you go to Mexico, and a Jose Gonzalez tune plays.

Beyond that, I’m drawing a complete blank. I can’t recall the story or any of the missions, which characters from RDR2 survived to appear in the original game (beyond the obvious, i.e. John and Jack Marston), or who the villain(s) were. This is quite helpful from the perspective of maintaining suspense, but the game seems to be doing the prequel thing of using your knowledge of what happens later to provide context and dramatic irony, but it’s not quite working because I have no idea what’s about to happen, or what the significance of this character or location is.

I suppose it means I can play RDR1 as a sequel right afterwards (although I’m probably going to take a break from westerns for a bit).

Don't know how far into the game you are but towards the end it does a good job of showing you who from RDR2 will appear in RDR1 and in what capacity. It's brief but it was enough for me, who was in much the same boat as you, to have a "ahhhh! right!" moment.

1 hour ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Look. My Arthur was a goddamn prince. There wasn't a single random calling for help that he would ignore, even when I was sure it was going to be some chump trying to steal my horse. 
But he hated swine. And I won't apologise for that. And if you knew what happened to him when he was 10, you'd understand too.

Don't know how far into the game you are but towards the end it does a good job of showing you who from RDR2 will appear in RDR1 and in what capacity. It's brief but it was enough for me, who was in much the same boat as you, to have a "ahhhh! right!" moment.

I'm at the epilogue, which makes me think that if I was going to remember anything relevant about RDR1, I would have done it already.

Had a creepy encounter when I rode past a house and a fat lad in dungarees greeted me.

He and his wife insisted I join them as their guest, she went to get dressed and he sent me up to get her/catch her changing. Once sat down they were all flirty and then while the room was going fuzzy after a drink they mentioned something about their parent dying. Wasn't sure I'd heard it right but I got up from the table and shot them both, immediately feeling guilty for getting it wrong. Until I found the bones in their cupboard, dirty bastards.

There was as good video knocking around which went through the story line of RDR1 to set you up/remind you for RDR2 which I watched on one of the gaming sites (I forget which). But if you're in the epilogue then probably a bit late in the day now.

I was the same though, could hardly remember much from RDR1.

12 minutes ago, wullie said:

Had a creepy encounter when I rode past a house and a fat lad in dungarees greeted me.

Hide contents

He and his wife insisted I join them as their guest, she went to get dressed and he sent me up to get her/catch her changing. Once sat down they were all flirty and then while the room was going fuzzy after a drink they mentioned something about their parent dying. Wasn't sure I'd heard it right but I got up from the table and shot them both, immediately feeling guilty for getting it wrong. Until I found the bones in their cupboard, dirty bastards.

Spoiler

If you had taken another drink, you'd fall unconscious and the last thing you'd hear is them robbing you and talking about where to stash it. You awake not far from the house and can go back for revenge. I shot the guy in the face, causing his wife to cry out in anger, then lassoed her, took her to the wilderness, and shot her in the head.

Arthur is such a nice man. 

I was riding through the swamp and heard a woman crying...

Spoiler

... turns out the Night Folk are proper cunts. She jumped up and stabbed me, and then some chap comes running out of a bush and hacked me to death with a hatchet. The one time I don't shoot a stranger in the face...

Also, my horse got hit by a train and died instantly. I actually felt sad enough that I reverted to a save. Save regularly if you like your horse.

What was the point of them locking off the area of the map from the original game, only to use a tiny bit of it for the epilogue? Seems like a massive waste of resources, unless they’ve got some plans for it.

I would have thought...

We’d have seen the remnants of the gang flee over that way and how Bill ended up holed up at Fort Mercer, plus whatever happened to Dutch around that time. The end of RDR2 was a bit of a let down in reality though.

20 minutes ago, Benny said:

Isn't that post something for the spoilers thread for those who have finished the game @JPL? People might want to find that out for themselves.

Is that really a spoiler? I thought I’d hidden the sensitive stuff, but whatever, I’ll hide that as well.

It’s quite spoilery I guess so best to wrap in tags.

Anyway, can I just say that I played yesterday after a few days off and I was just buggering around in some field (actually went flying off my horse for the first time ever shooting an owl). Arthur gets up and I look at the screen just dumbfounded by how fucking amazing it all looks. It’s just some field, trees, birds flying overhead and a certain time of day, but it’s so glorious to look at and be in. 

I picked up the owl, it was a 3 star horned owl and looked incredible. Then galloping fast for a side mission with some dudes menacing a dude’s wife, I noticed it fall off at some point :( 

This world is just a joy to be in. The weather as well, it’s brilliant. I got in a proper storm the other day. The marshes and swamps at night are scary as fuck.

I have so many identical feelings playing this than I had exploring in Breath of the Wild. 

Saint Denis is impressive but I feel so awkward there. One wrong horse turn and a lady will run off screaming and the police get shirty. Stupid. I was chasing someone who had robbed someone and belted open a gate which shocked someone and they went to tell a copper. Fucking had to trot on. I was helping! I don’t feel free unless I’m out in the wilderness exploring. One difference is I often wouldn’t take my horse in Zelda as it was a bit of a hassle to glide and stuff, but I wouldn’t dream of going anywhere without trusty Lightning. 

The open world so far is exactly what I wanted.

I have done a few missions into the epilogue but have recently just been messing about, trying to do all the challenges, boy do they get hard. Kill 8 small game with 8 small game arrows consecutively was ridiculously hard. Lucky i found 7 chickens in a walled garden, chasing a squirrel for my 8th and final kill had my heart pumping like crazy.

Most games i stop playing once i have done most things but this world just keeps pulling me back in, I am loving doing the challenges just for the satisfaction rather than any reward, this is a very rare thing for me indeed and just goes to show how amazing the RDR2 world is.

Yeah so I played last night and was quite tired but I kept fucking stuff up through pressing the wrong buttons.

I had a game of shooty bottles with someone, and afterwards I must have pressed the wrong button as Arthur just pushed this guy straight in the chest. Then he starts shouting and shooting and I kill him. Needed to reload after that.

In Saint Denis, 2 shady guys start making comments about me. I strolled over and they just started shooting  at me. Had to reload.

While I might have restarted in the first instance (there'd be an ill feeling of missing possible later content), I'd roll with the punches in the second. You lose next to fuck all if you die, money to pay off bounties is plentiful, and if they die, they deserved it for being dicks.

Ain't nobody gonna fuck with Arthur Morgan except trees and gravity.

I found a nice touch during the Epilogue.

Spoiler

I'd completed the side mission line as Arthur where you discover a widow on Roanoke Ridge, Charlotte, and teach her how to hunt. 

As John, I figured I'd take a trip back there to see what happens - there was no marker on the map - and there she was sitting out on her porch, so John and Charlotte have a chat about Arthur before she extends the invite to anything in her home to him just as she did to Arthur.

A little touch that felt like it rewarded curiosity. I've noticed in other side missions that if John picks up the trail, the cut scene acknowledges this with him introducing himself and mentioning Arthur's passing, but never expected something that wasn't explicitly indicated on the map.

58 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Yeah so I played last night and was quite tired but I kept fucking stuff up through pressing the wrong buttons.

I had a game of shooty bottles with someone, and afterwards I must have pressed the wrong button as Arthur just pushed this guy straight in the chest. Then he starts shouting and shooting and I kill him. Needed to reload after that.

In Saint Denis, 2 shady guys start making comments about me. I strolled over and they just started shooting  at me. Had to reload.

Why the reload?  I haven't reloaded once, even when my lovely horse got run over by myself driving the train.  

If you get away fast enough you don't always get a bounty and if you do then you just pay it off next time you pass a post office.

32 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I found a nice touch during the Epilogue.

Hide contents

I'd completed the side mission line as Arthur where you discover a widow on Roanoke Ridge, Charlotte, and teach her how to hunt. 

As John, I figured I'd take a trip back there to see what happens - there was no marker on the map - and there she was sitting out on her porch, so John and Charlotte have a chat about Arthur before she extends the invite to anything in her home to him just as she did to Arthur.

A little touch that felt like it rewarded curiosity. I've noticed in other side missions that if John picks up the trail, the cut scene acknowledges this with him introducing himself and mentioning Arthur's passing, but never expected something that wasn't explicitly indicated on the map.

Yeah I did that too...

Spoiler

She was managing well too :)

2 hours ago, Cool Ben said:

Why the reload?  I haven't reloaded once, even when my lovely horse got run over by myself driving the train.  

If you get away fast enough you don't always get a bounty and if you do then you just pay it off next time you pass a post office.

Yeah but I couldn’t be bothered, $80 and I was riding away but got spotted somehow along the way

Finally managed to put a few hours into RDR2 this weekend and I’m enjoying it. Even on a non-Pro PS4 it looks magnificent, and I spent a good five minutes stomping around in mud and dropping bodies in it, just because it looked cool. Sound was a bit off though.

I’m really not very far into it and I’ve been picky about the missions I’ve done, so I’ve barely been into my camp. This means I don’t know who anybody really is yet, or where things are, but I’m sure that’ll come with time.

Some bloke asked me to find some old retired “gunslingers” so I went and found them all and took photos. Not sure what to do next- I find this happens quite a lot so no doubt google will come to the rescue. Like I found two lads trying to open a safe with an axe so I killed them and then loaded about a hundred bullets into it and it didn’t budge.

Google said use dynamite, whoops. Turns out I had some dynamite but didn’t know because I’m still getting to grips with the wheel system.

Also nearly died in the cold looking for one of the gunslingers because I wasn’t sure how to change my outfit while out in the wild. Google saved me there and I’ve now saved the dapper outfit I bought from the tailor so can hopefully switch between the two now.

Is there a downside to wearing the mask all the time? Looks cool but don’t want to put it on and then people to be scared of me, like when I tried to drop a dead bird on a fire that me and some newly found mates where sat round (they watched the cross about 200 bullets) and they all went crazy and ran away – I just wanted someone to cook the bird while I made arrows! Might try the mask on tonight and see what happens.

Also made mates with some bloke who takes photos of wildlife.

Idiot got me mauled by wolves.

Nice to already have recurring characters though, and I’m only 19% in according to my save file.

Some of the mechanics are slow going. Looting takes forever – oh and don’t even get me started on the “game” for the Gambler 2 task.

Blackjack is bad at the best of times but having to sit through three other random cowboys playing their hand; god! Thankfully got the 5 double down wins or whatever but jeez it was tough going.

Thankfully I was in and out the kitchen so just ran in tapped x/triangle and then back to preparing burgers for a minute while everyone else had their turn. But yeah trying to target a pot of ground coffee in a tent is very hard.

I’ve made sure to skin everything I kill but keep getting a message saying I’m unable to take everything cos my satchels full.

Apparently I need to travel to a “fence” to sell off all the stolen belt buckles and pens,

so that’s on tonights agenda. Hopefully he’ll serve me in my balaclava.

Can you cut your hair?  I’ve shaved my beard off but want a bald head. I put some pomade in that I robbed out of a tent, but not keen on the look. I know it’s an unimportant part of the game but I wish your appearance was more customisable. I think I’ll rock a ‘tache (hopefully it can go longer than #4? The scale suggests so but it’s been a while) and bald head if possible. Like my Trevor on GTA. Pity there aren’t more beard/moustache styles though.

But yeah, fun game. Ideally I wanna spend like ten hours straight on it but work and child prevent such fun. Oh, and cooking. I’ve died loads too, mostly from people beating me up and getting hit by trains. My bounty is up to $110 too cos I killed some lawmen because my horse died and I wanted theirs, without realising they were police, so I think I’ve messed it up. I did have $110 at one point, but spent it on nice clothes.

Not sure what's spoilers and what's no so played it safe with the tags.

I'm in Epilogue Part II, and it's been proving quite fun, with the notable and incredibly jarring fact that (massive spoiler if you've not got to the end yet)...

Spoiler

I don't give a fuck about Micah and can't be arsed about killing him. I'd rather stay at my ranch and feed my chickens and keep the wife happy. But no, I have to go and be 'honourable' and avenge Arthur even though I played him as a massive dick who went around murdering everyone and no one would give two shits about after he died.

3 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Can you cut your hair?  I’ve shaved my beard off but want a bald head. I put some pomade in that I robbed out of a tent, but not keen on the look. I know it’s an unimportant part of the game but I wish your appearance was more customisable. I think I’ll rock a ‘tache (hopefully it can go longer than #4? The scale suggests so but it’s been a while) and bald head if possible. Like my Trevor on GTA. Pity there aren’t more beard/moustache styles though.

There's a barber in Valentine who will cut your hair and style your beard beyond what you can do in the camp.

2 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Some bloke asked me to find some old retired “gunslingers” so I went and found them all and took photos. Not sure what to do next- 

Spoiler

There is nothing else to do on that until much later in the game. It reappears as a side quest in one of the later chapters.

Also, when skinning you also get meat which you can cook. Your satchel only has room for 5 of each type of meat which is why you'll be getting the message you can't carry anymore. I think you can upgrade the capacity of the satchel but I've never bothered to do that.