IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Mr Do 71

20 minutes ago, christaylor said:

Boggo xb1 but I did have to resize that a fair bit using an app to get it under the 2mb upload limit. 

I think it’s the lighting as much as anything. It looks like a last gen game. Such a massive difference on the X.

I seem to say this every six months or so with different titles - last time it was God of War, and before that Horizon - but this is the best looking game I've ever played. It astonishes me every time I load it up. Like @sir stiff_one, I've recently discovered Saint Denis for the first time after never venturing to the west of the map before, and it's absolutely stunning, more so because I never even knew it was there and thought the entire game took place in the countryside and small rural towns.

I've said it elsewhere, but the lack of a photomode in this is criminal. Having said that, if there was one I'd doubt I'd ever actually do any missions but would just spend my time trying to get the nicest shot.

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've said it elsewhere, but the lack of a photomode in this is criminal. Having said that, if there was one I'd doubt I'd ever actually do any missions but would just spend my time trying to get the nicest shot.

There is a photo mode of sorts as you get a camera early on. There's the built in screenshot feature too on the Xbox and PS4.

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

There is a photo mode of sorts as you get a camera early on. There's the built in screenshot feature too on the Xbox and PS4.

Yeah but there's not a proper one where you can move the camera around, like in the other two games I've mentioned. It doesn't matter really. I've still managed to take some nice shots with the PS4 screenshot button.

9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I seem to say this every six months or so with different titles - last time it was God of War, and before that Horizon - but this is the best looking game I've ever played. It astonishes me every time I load it up. Like @sir stiff_one, I've recently discovered Saint Denis for the first time after never venturing to the west of the map before, and it's absolutely stunning, more so because I never even knew it was there and thought the entire game took place in the countryside and small rural towns.

I was thinking about this yesterday, I still think Horizon is the better looking game personally, but that could just be because I prefer the art direction. 

The facial animation in RDR2 is unbelievable. 

33 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I was thinking about this yesterday, I still think Horizon is the better looking game personally, but that could just be because I prefer the art direction. 

The facial animation in RDR2 is unbelievable. 

Nah. HZD’s facial animation was better. Though they cheated because it kind of dropped all the scenery to do it. RDR2 characters often have dead eyes.

related question: I’m only half way through chapter 3 but do you ever get to a point where you don’t think every character, including yourself, is an absolute cunt?

6 minutes ago, choddo said:

Nah. HZD’s facial animation was better. Though they cheated because it kind of dropped all the scenery to do it. RDR2 characters often have dead eyes.

related question: I’m only half way through chapter 3 but do you ever get to a point where you don’t think every character, including yourself, is an absolute cunt?

Oh I wasn’t saying the facial animation in HZD was bad, I remember it being good, I’m surprised by your comment on RDR2’s facial animation however, I think it’s the best I’ve seen. 

Maybe I’ll revisit Horizon. It’s my favourite game this gen so any excuse. 

I find the facial textures in Red Dead quite ugly and - dare I say - dated but the animation is really really good. It's amazing how much emotion is portrayed through those embalmed automata. Meanwhile, AC Odyssey has fantastic skin textures and lighting and colouring, but the animation is much less nuanced. I'd say this is where Naughty Dog are the most successful overall, not at the very top with either textures or animation but taking both into account (as well as quality of voice work) they're probably just ahead. I've not seen many people criticising the RDR2 facial textures, though, so I might just be very sensitive to it. They look like their faces are made of clay, whereas AC Odyssey looks like spongey rubber. Uncharted is probably the Fleshlight stuff, I dunno. 

13 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

It doesn't look like a last gen game generally on the base machine. More like one of the best looking games ever.

Except for the shadows. They're very dithered.

You get what I mean though, right? That screenshot looks really bad. Flat lighting, low res textures, low poly models.

It really is a stunning looking game though in general, so maybe it’s just that particular shot, with it being indoors in such a small area, etc. Nothing to take away from the game, but I just wondered why it looked so rough.

And all this talk of facial animation, I just finished up Halo 5 in co-op a couple of weeks ago and the facial animation in that is leagues ahead of RDR2. Shame the game’s a bit rubbish, but the animation is top class.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Oh I wasn’t saying the facial animation in HZD was bad, I remember it being good, I’m surprised by your comment on RDR2’s facial animation however, I think it’s the best I’ve seen. 

Maybe I’ll revisit Horizon. It’s my favourite game this gen so any excuse. 

Yeah maybe I meant the overall effect - the reflectivity and translucency isn’t as good but the actual animation is excellent.

1 hour ago, choddo said:

Sadie Adler* (don't read the spoiler) and Pierson are both quite gentle characters and I liked Lenny and Bessie too.  I liked most of them apart from Dutch and Micah. Micah is a complete prick.  John Marsden and his family are fairly nice and Arthur (if you play him as I did) is a saint - out in the wilderness, helping everyone.  If you're throwing dynamite at pigs though like some people, I suppose he isn't that nice :lol:

Until she turns into the Terminator near the end and in the Epilogue

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Depends on your disposition but I'd say yes.

My disposition is - I’ve got an ethical bar way into the right hand side - so why did I have no choice other than to murder a stablehand, just to steal some horses?

I did take great delight in carrying the corpse of this bloke, who was beating his wife and then turned on me, down to the saloon and throwing it over the balcony onto someone’s quiet lunch though.

1 minute ago, neoELITE said:

Sadie Adler* (don't read the spoiler) and Pierson are both quite gentle characters and I liked Lenny and Bessie too.  I liked most of them apart from Dutch and Micah. Micah is a complete prick.  John Marsden and his family are fairly nice and Arthur (if you play him as I did) is a saint - out in the wilderness, helping everyone.  If you're throwing dynamite at pigs though like some people, I suppose he isn't that nice :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

Sadie was the one exception I thought of when I wrote that. Maybe Tilly.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

You get what I mean though, right? That screenshot looks really bad. Flat lighting, low res textures, low poly models.

It really is a stunning looking game though in general, so maybe it’s just that particular shot, with it being indoors in such a small area, etc. Nothing to take away from the game, but I just wondered why it looked so rough.

And all this talk of facial animation, I just finished up Halo 5 in co-op a couple of weeks ago and the facial animation in that is leagues ahead of RDR2. Shame the game’s a bit rubbish, but the animation is top class.

The interiors can be a little ropey but then you spend 95% of your time outside - it's still the most visually stunning game I've ever played on any console.  Areas where most players won't even venture to are detailed and breathtakingly beautiful.  Given the achievement list, and it tells you how many people who've got those achievements, I imagine a lot of people rushed through the story mode without doing many side missions.

1 minute ago, neoELITE said:

The interiors can be a little ropey but then you spend 95% of your time outside - it's still the most visually stunning game I've ever played on any console.  Areas where most players won't even venture to are detailed and breathtakingly beautiful.  Given the achievement list, and it tells you how many people who've got those achievements, I imagine a lot of people rushed through the story mode without doing many side missions.

Yep, it’s an absolute beauty. Like you say, even in places where most players won’t venture. Some of the weather effects and the day/night cycle are absolutely stunning. I guess that’s what made that screenshot stand out so much to me.

3 minutes ago, choddo said:

Sadie was the one exception I thought of when I wrote that. Maybe Tilly.

Once you get into Chapter 5 and 6, a lot of the characters do develop as the tension in the camp ramps up.  I wish I could play it over again for the first time. 

This hasn’t probably been discussed but how come when they set up a mission to set light to an oil wagon to scare a train into stopping so they can rob it ... they don’t actually set light to the oil wagon and you stand on it instead?

21 minutes ago, JPL said:

Yeah, I get what you mean, especially the lighting, and the blood splatter is unflattering. Don't agree about low poly models personally, but I've no experience of the One X version to compare.

I watched the same scene unfurl when I encountered it, and the sunlight was streaming through the window and the whole thing looked much better. I'd say the shot shown is just unfortunately poor. In addition, the game looks terrific in motion so even in small scenes like this, you probably don't notice some of the corners being skipped.

I only have one recorded clip of the game, and it's at night time, but in any case:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/fry-crayola/video/67647361

I feel like I’m losing out slightly when playing this because despite playing it through and hugely enjoying it at the time, I can remember almost nothing about RDR1. The sum total of everything I can remember about the first game:

-the ending where the army turn up, and the epilogue where you play as Jack.

-the start, where you get gunned down trying to get into a fortress.

-that bit where you go to Mexico, and a Jose Gonzalez tune plays.

Beyond that, I’m drawing a complete blank. I can’t recall the story or any of the missions, which characters from RDR2 survived to appear in the original game (beyond the obvious, i.e. John and Jack Marston), or who the villain(s) were. This is quite helpful from the perspective of maintaining suspense, but the game seems to be doing the prequel thing of using your knowledge of what happens later to provide context and dramatic irony, but it’s not quite working because I have no idea what’s about to happen, or what the significance of this character or location is.

I suppose it means I can play RDR1 as a sequel right afterwards (although I’m probably going to take a break from westerns for a bit).