rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

@Thor, well, somewhat ironically, last night I was hunting a grizzly bear with an NPC near a river in the north of the map only for it to jump out from behind a rock and bite my face off. Circle of life.

• Upvote 1

On 16/01/2019 at 13:23, dr_manhattan^ said:

Just got to chapter six.  The character development is wonderful.

I thought Chapter 6 was hella depressing at first but it's actually kind of beautiful.

• Upvote 1

On 10/01/2019 at 11:14, K said:

Minor SPOILER for a little hidden ambient encounter:

Has anyone come across the whispering voices in the woods in the northeast, in Roanoke? I don’t mind admitting that it shat me right up – the fog descending, the little whispers just at the edge of hearing, and then gradually tuning into what they were saying. It’s really, really creepy and amazingly atmospheric, not least due to the thick foliage and the tree stumps that look uncannily like people. Immediately after I walked out, a deer ran into me from behind and knocked me over, which made me jump out of my skin. I assume that was just a coincidence as it seems like quite an odd conclusion to the encounter, but would be interested to hear whether it happened to anyone else.

Random side note: be careful googling stuff about the game. I had something from the endgame spoiled by Google autocomplete of all things, when searching for how to change your character’s clothes.

Those voices

Spoiler

are linked to a lantern show you can watch. I think it is the one in Valentine.

So I just had a trot around the map (am still at Horseshoe), and ended up all the way down in Saint Denis! Wow, this is why I love exploring off the beaten track on my own in these kind of games. 

• Upvote 1

Had an interesting incident a while ago that I've been meaning to mention, from a completely optional random encounter that I imagine a lot of folk would've missed.

Riding out North from Saint Denis, a bloke on horseback comes stumbling towards me, covered in blood, begging to be taken to a doctor's.

I duly obliged and dropped him off back in the town, where the doc thanked me and told me I could leave him with him and go. Just as I was about to head out I changed my mind and decided to switch to 1st person and stick around to see if anything would happen.

What followed was the doctor sedating him and then proceeding to hack his arm off, in full graphic detail.

I'm guessing that would've happened whether or not I'd have been there, but I wonder how many people would've actually seen it?

BigCTheAnswer_RedDeadRedemption2_20181213_10-51-12.thumb.png.059bafbad3ac50b037a343447306bbc3.png

• Upvote 3

Not sure if the game does many of these, (it probably does, just that I am not a massive westerns buff so not really picked up on many) but could that be a reference/homage to 

Spoiler

Godless (Netflix)

maybe?

Jesus. I found that, but left before the, erm, big finish. I kind of assumed he'd just saw away until I walked away.

53 minutes ago, K said:

Jesus. I found that, but left before the, erm, big finish. I kind of assumed he'd just saw away until I walked away.

No he finishes the job alright! Here he is post op, looking slightly dejected, note the bin... 

BigCTheAnswer_RedDeadRedemption2_20181213_10-52-21-1440x810.thumb.png.ce280746fa09b7ef366546a73a1d6d43.png

1 hour ago, christaylor said:

No he finishes the job alright! Here he is post op, looking slightly dejected, note the bin... 

Hide contents

BigCTheAnswer_RedDeadRedemption2_20181213_10-52-21-1440x810.thumb.png.ce280746fa09b7ef366546a73a1d6d43.png

Off topic, but which version are you playing? It looks rough as fuck.

11 minutes ago, JPL said:

Off topic, but which version are you playing? It looks rough as fuck.

Boggo xb1 but I did have to resize that a fair bit using an app to get it under the 2mb upload limit. 

20 minutes ago, christaylor said:

Boggo xb1 but I did have to resize that a fair bit using an app to get it under the 2mb upload limit. 

I think it’s the lighting as much as anything. It looks like a last gen game. Such a massive difference on the X.

Yeah I don't think the pic does it any justice really, no doubt the compression hasn't helped. I've been amazed at how good it looks, especially in the wide open outdoor vistas. 

I seem to say this every six months or so with different titles - last time it was God of War, and before that Horizon - but this is the best looking game I've ever played. It astonishes me every time I load it up. Like @sir stiff_one, I've recently discovered Saint Denis for the first time after never venturing to the west of the map before, and it's absolutely stunning, more so because I never even knew it was there and thought the entire game took place in the countryside and small rural towns.

I've said it elsewhere, but the lack of a photomode in this is criminal. Having said that, if there was one I'd doubt I'd ever actually do any missions but would just spend my time trying to get the nicest shot.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've said it elsewhere, but the lack of a photomode in this is criminal. Having said that, if there was one I'd doubt I'd ever actually do any missions but would just spend my time trying to get the nicest shot.

There is a photo mode of sorts as you get a camera early on. There's the built in screenshot feature too on the Xbox and PS4.

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

There is a photo mode of sorts as you get a camera early on. There's the built in screenshot feature too on the Xbox and PS4.

Yeah but there's not a proper one where you can move the camera around, like in the other two games I've mentioned. It doesn't matter really. I've still managed to take some nice shots with the PS4 screenshot button.

9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I seem to say this every six months or so with different titles - last time it was God of War, and before that Horizon - but this is the best looking game I've ever played. It astonishes me every time I load it up. Like @sir stiff_one, I've recently discovered Saint Denis for the first time after never venturing to the west of the map before, and it's absolutely stunning, more so because I never even knew it was there and thought the entire game took place in the countryside and small rural towns.

I was thinking about this yesterday, I still think Horizon is the better looking game personally, but that could just be because I prefer the art direction. 

The facial animation in RDR2 is unbelievable. 

33 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

I was thinking about this yesterday, I still think Horizon is the better looking game personally, but that could just be because I prefer the art direction. 

The facial animation in RDR2 is unbelievable. 

Nah. HZD’s facial animation was better. Though they cheated because it kind of dropped all the scenery to do it. RDR2 characters often have dead eyes.

related question: I’m only half way through chapter 3 but do you ever get to a point where you don’t think every character, including yourself, is an absolute cunt?

6 minutes ago, choddo said:

Nah. HZD’s facial animation was better. Though they cheated because it kind of dropped all the scenery to do it. RDR2 characters often have dead eyes.

related question: I’m only half way through chapter 3 but do you ever get to a point where you don’t think every character, including yourself, is an absolute cunt?

Oh I wasn’t saying the facial animation in HZD was bad, I remember it being good, I’m surprised by your comment on RDR2’s facial animation however, I think it’s the best I’ve seen. 

Maybe I’ll revisit Horizon. It’s my favourite game this gen so any excuse. 

I find the facial textures in Red Dead quite ugly and - dare I say - dated but the animation is really really good. It's amazing how much emotion is portrayed through those embalmed automata. Meanwhile, AC Odyssey has fantastic skin textures and lighting and colouring, but the animation is much less nuanced. I'd say this is where Naughty Dog are the most successful overall, not at the very top with either textures or animation but taking both into account (as well as quality of voice work) they're probably just ahead. I've not seen many people criticising the RDR2 facial textures, though, so I might just be very sensitive to it. They look like their faces are made of clay, whereas AC Odyssey looks like spongey rubber. Uncharted is probably the Fleshlight stuff, I dunno. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

It doesn't look like a last gen game generally on the base machine. More like one of the best looking games ever.

Except for the shadows. They're very dithered.

You get what I mean though, right? That screenshot looks really bad. Flat lighting, low res textures, low poly models.

It really is a stunning looking game though in general, so maybe it’s just that particular shot, with it being indoors in such a small area, etc. Nothing to take away from the game, but I just wondered why it looked so rough.

And all this talk of facial animation, I just finished up Halo 5 in co-op a couple of weeks ago and the facial animation in that is leagues ahead of RDR2. Shame the game’s a bit rubbish, but the animation is top class.

1 hour ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Oh I wasn’t saying the facial animation in HZD was bad, I remember it being good, I’m surprised by your comment on RDR2’s facial animation however, I think it’s the best I’ve seen. 

Maybe I’ll revisit Horizon. It’s my favourite game this gen so any excuse. 

Yeah maybe I meant the overall effect - the reflectivity and translucency isn’t as good but the actual animation is excellent.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choddo said:

Sadie Adler* (don't read the spoiler) and Pierson are both quite gentle characters and I liked Lenny and Bessie too.  I liked most of them apart from Dutch and Micah. Micah is a complete prick.  John Marsden and his family are fairly nice and Arthur (if you play him as I did) is a saint - out in the wilderness, helping everyone.  If you're throwing dynamite at pigs though like some people, I suppose he isn't that nice :lol:

Until she turns into the Terminator near the end and in the Epilogue

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Depends on your disposition but I'd say yes.

My disposition is - I’ve got an ethical bar way into the right hand side - so why did I have no choice other than to murder a stablehand, just to steal some horses?

I did take great delight in carrying the corpse of this bloke, who was beating his wife and then turned on me, down to the saloon and throwing it over the balcony onto someone’s quiet lunch though.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, neoELITE said:

Sadie Adler* (don't read the spoiler) and Pierson are both quite gentle characters and I liked Lenny and Bessie too.  I liked most of them apart from Dutch and Micah. Micah is a complete prick.  John Marsden and his family are fairly nice and Arthur (if you play him as I did) is a saint - out in the wilderness, helping everyone.  If you're throwing dynamite at pigs though like some people, I suppose he isn't that nice :lol:

Reveal hidden contents

Sadie was the one exception I thought of when I wrote that. Maybe Tilly.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

You get what I mean though, right? That screenshot looks really bad. Flat lighting, low res textures, low poly models.

It really is a stunning looking game though in general, so maybe it’s just that particular shot, with it being indoors in such a small area, etc. Nothing to take away from the game, but I just wondered why it looked so rough.

And all this talk of facial animation, I just finished up Halo 5 in co-op a couple of weeks ago and the facial animation in that is leagues ahead of RDR2. Shame the game’s a bit rubbish, but the animation is top class.

The interiors can be a little ropey but then you spend 95% of your time outside - it's still the most visually stunning game I've ever played on any console.  Areas where most players won't even venture to are detailed and breathtakingly beautiful.  Given the achievement list, and it tells you how many people who've got those achievements, I imagine a lot of people rushed through the story mode without doing many side missions.