Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Mr Do 71

21 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

There's definitely a tension there with several of the more wacky side missions, for sure. The crazy Tesla guy, or the menagerie people and so on. There's no reason for Arthur (as opposed to the player) wanting to get involved - although with a few, they sort of try in that eventually they mention money - and because Arthur and co feel so real, it stood out for me too.

It does feel weird because so much of the game is about subverting your expectations and the conventions of games like this, but there’s this sideline of missions where a zany person tells you to go off and collect twenty rock carvings or dinosaur bones or orchids or whatever. Maybe something interesting or unexpected happens when you collect them all, but given that they’re scattered over the whole map with no indication of where they might be, then I can’t really be arsed finding out. It feels like they’re there to sell guidebooks, except it’s all on the internet anyway (I imagine, I haven’t checked).

I would guess it’s in there because the developers wanted some comic relief except, as with GTA, it’s not very funny. It’s a pretty tiny blemish on the otherwise towering achievement of the game, but a bit of an odd relic nonetheless.

On 06/01/2019 at 10:03, Jamie John said:

Really! Blast...

There were all clustered together. I couldn't resist my Django Unchained moment.

Do you think they'll respawn?

I did exactly the same as you the first time, but you should come across at least two more instances of them, just have a bit more patience next time.

---

I've just started Ch6 last night, think I'm at around the 70hr mark overall. So many side quests/bits of functionality I've simply not touched since their introductions however many hours ago that I'd completely forgotten about, treasure maps/weird murders/hunting/fishing.

The only 'wacky' side mission I really enjoyed was the 

Spoiler

Find the Zoo Animals

one. Even though I knew where it was going to end up and it was very OTT as I picked it up right after Arthur's heartfelt 'confession' to Tilly, it was pretty funny and enjoyable. The 'find 30 of these things' ones though? Ooft. No chance of ever doing them.

For those that are interested though - and who don't want to fork out for a guide - check out https://rdr2map.com   
BUT!!  I would urge you to complete the game though first as there are several spoilers on the map that could ruin your fun if you are not careful. 

52 minutes ago, christaylor said:

I did exactly the same as you the first time, but you should come across at least two more instances of them, just have a bit more patience next time.

---

I've just started Ch6 last night, think I'm at around the 70hr mark overall. So many side quests/bits of functionality I've simply not touched since their introductions however many hours ago that I'd completely forgotten about, treasure maps/weird murders/hunting/fishing.

I'm nearing the end of Chapter 6 myself now and I've not seen them once yet. Is there a specific place and time I should be, as I'd love to check them out?

23 minutes ago, JPL said:

I'm nearing the end of Chapter 6 myself now and I've not seen them once yet. Is there a specific place and time I should be, as I'd love to check them out?

IIRC both of the times I encountered them were in the wooded areas not far from where your second camp is located, near Valentine.

Got this the other day and have played for just a few hours. Came across a woman who needed help, so stopped to lend a hand. Must've pressed the wrong button because instead of helping her I strangled her to death, then had to hide the body in bushes.

Probably the grimmest gaming moment for me since Manhunt.

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 17:38, Harrisown said:

Has anyone ever cleared out sn entire town and piled the bodies up and then exploded them?

Tried this several times and it's really not that easy to get the body count/piles of corpses out in the open, hence I've only really done it in a couple of log cabins. Arthurs comment of 'ah ...shit' perfectly sums it up.

Discovering the house that's been struck by

a meteorite was a genuinely shocking moment, especially given that I stumbled across it in a deafening thunderstorm. At first, I assumed it was some kind of murder house, but gradually managed to piece things together. The little vignettes of environmental storytelling that you stumble across in the various houses and cabins you find across the landscape are fascinating. They're usually heartbreakingly grim - i.e. the family who died from what seems to be carbon monoxide poisoning, or the two dead children you find locked in a cabin after their mother went out to retrieve some stolen money, and never came back - but they're almost never what you expect.

I've spent most of my 6-7 hours play time just galloping about and hunting a bit so far (after arriving in the first camp/town). The scenery and landscape is genuinely incredible. It's all a bit overwhelming really, so big, so much, even in that small area around Valentine. Been killed by a bear, and by wolves so far. Also the controls are FUCKED UP. Yeah I get it's supposed to be awkward but it's incredibly easy to go from wandering around a town to being in prison/running away from chaos thanks to one wrong button press. The not HDR HDR annoys me out of principle, but in general the feeling of playing cowboy is literally otherworldly. 

One of the system things that doesn't really work is that you can convert all of your regular bullets to dum-dums by holding down X for something like 10 minutes in the crafting menu. Alternatively, you can just head-shot everyone in gunfights.

In fact, I don't really bother with the alternative ammo types in general. It's like the Action RPG thing where you can min-max your stats to within an inch of their life, or just play a little better.

3 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

One of the system things that doesn't really work is that you can convert all of your regular bullets to dum-dums by holding down X for something like 10 minutes in the crafting menu. Alternatively, you can just head-shot everyone in gunfights.

In fact, I don't really bother with the alternative ammo types in general. It's like the Action RPG thing where you can min-max your stats to within an inch of their life, or just play a little better.

The explosive shotgun slugs are a good laugh as are the fire/dynamite arrows. But yes, the rest are not worth the effort.

The crafting is bullshit, and the combat is just a matter of spamming the deadeye. Hunting legendary animals is a bit rubbish too, as it's the same every time - hit three of the golden markers, then open fire with rifle / dual pistols / dynamite arrows / rocket launcher, as you can't damage the pelt. You could write a pretty lengthy essay on everything that's wrong with the game, but somehow it's still absolutely amazing and completely consumes me.

Please don't post any spoilers or respond with anything other than a yes/no, but is there a point of no return in this, or can you finish up any side-missions once you've completed the story?

Any tips on catching legendary fish? I tried to get the bastard living in the lake in the north-east of the map, but once I'd hooked him I couldn't seem to reel him in; I was doing the normal thing of tiring him out by pulling left and right, and then reeling him in when he was knackered, but he never seemed to get any closer.

11 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Are you also pulling ‘up’ on the rod when reeling him in? @K 

It speeds the whole thing up slightly but tbh the whole legendary fish tasks are a chore. I wouldn’t bother. 

I think I was pulling down, which might explain why I wasn't getting anywhere. It did seem incredibly boring - night fell while I was struggling with the aquatic beast - so I'm probably not going to do it again. The legendary animals are a bit dull, but they're at least quick and you get trinkets out of it.

I think the hunting in general is a bit naff in this. It's just needlessly tedious, having to find a Pristine animal in the first place, then having the right gun and the right ammo, and then shooting it in the right place in order to get the perfect pelt. I cock it up more often than not, especially with smaller animals. I'm about 20 hours in and haven't even done the first challenge yet where you have to get three perfect rabbit pelts using the small game arrows. I can never seem to get them through the head and always end up ruining the pelt, and because they're so small they're difficult to see until you're more or less on top of them, and then they run away, making it even harder. It's just a ballache, and the rewards don't seem worth it.

Plus I always feel guilty doing it :unsure: