IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Mr Do 71

The character I was referring to is

called Edith Downes. You try to enforce a debt against her sick husband early on in the game, but he dies. You collect the debt anyway, and her son tries to stand up to you, but is easily intimidated into backing down.

I remembered the whole thing once I had my memory jogged, but there's another instance earlier on where you briefly glimpse her working as a prostitute in Saint Denis, to which Arthur reacts in horror, whereas I was completely baffled. They really needed to either have a couple of lines of dialogue reminding the player who she was, or given her bright red hair or an eyepatch or something, just so you can recognise her.

I got this as a Christmas present and I’ve only played a few missions so far. The scale of the world in terms of both breadth of the geography and the depth of detail is astounding and without precedent. It’s a new high bar for game worlds, everyone involved should be very proud of what they’ve created. 

I’ve managed to get my bearings as far as the camp and the first town are concerned; the world is so rich with life and vibrantly teeming with nature it seems a shame to follow a red line on the minimap at top speed to the next mission marker, I can completely understand the urge expressed by others to strip away the HUD elements completely and rely on more naturalistic ways of navigating, like the full map, using the in game signposts and so on. The inclusion of the cinematic camera does add to the sense of immersion here I feel, making journeys less about getting from A to B and more about basking in the rich, rugged landscape of the Wild West. 

The game is so dense I feel like I’m missing out by playing it on a 40 inch tv. It’s hard to pick out or differentiate details sometimes; to say nothing of the text, especially when the game will often throw up context-sensitive commands and tuitorial text at the same time, all the while the characters are talking to each other. I wonder what ‘recommended’ size of tv the developers had in mind for this?

A small niggle, but I’m finding it hard to remember how to do all the different things it’s possible to do in the game, which I think comes down to two reasons; the first is that there is a staggering about of things which to do in the first place, which again adds to the sense of richness of the world; the second reason is that any action invariably requires a number of different button presses. I don’t mind this, as I understand a number of others have; as I mentioned above it feels wrong to streamline the playing of the game using, for example, using the Google Maps red line/fastest route feature; so too would it be a shame to complete complex actions using overly simplified inputs. It’s tough, because game pads are by their very nature simplistic, but I respect Rockstar’s consistent design if nothing else and ultimately think it was the right way to go. 

(I still have to look look up online how to do hunting or activate red eye every now and again, though)

Rockstar’s consistent design. If only!

It’s a complete clusterfuck of controls and UI design, but you learn to live with it the further you get in. You’ll even end up laughing at some of the ridiculous situations that escalate from context sensitive buttons changing from a passive option to aggression the split second you press them.

6 hours ago, Popo said:

I’ve managed to get my bearings as far as the camp and the first town are concerned; the world is so rich with life and vibrantly teeming with nature it seems a shame to follow a red line on the minimap at top speed to the next mission marker, I can completely understand the urge expressed by others to strip away the HUD elements completely and rely on more naturalistic ways of navigating, like the full map, using the in game signposts and so on.

I've found the "Compass" option to be the best middle ground. It's less intrusive, and still gives you some sense of direction without looking like a horse TomTom. You can always quickly tap down on the d-pad for a quick expanded view, if need be.

Just came across a load of 

Spoiler

KKK members outside Strawberry

in the process of swearing in a new fascist to their clan. I hid in the bushes and then lobbed a stick of dynamite into the middle of them, killing them all instantly and setting the surrounding area on fire.

Justice!

Had a new great immersion breaking moment. I got jumped on the road by a load of goons, shot a load from horseback, then got on foot to run down the last few who were hiding behind trees (using Arthur’s imperviousness to bullet wounds as a shield). While closing in, a cougar ran into the gun battle and instakilled Arthur with a neck bite animation.

You can disagree all you like @Kevvy Metal, but only yesterday I came across a gunslinger who’d traveled all the way from Mexico, to take on a legendary American he’d heard about, at shooting bottles off a railway bridge.

After hearing of the distance he’d come I had to oblige, so we went at it for $5. Problem was I only had my pistols because of that other great bit of design, where Arthur stashes his weapons back on your horse after you’ve been riding for a while, so I was struggling to see the bottles.

I managed to win by watching where he was shooting and peppering the same area to hit the bottles before he did. I beat him 3-2 and took my winnings.

He then asked if I fancied having another go and upping the stakes, but I couldn’t be arsed. Looking at the button prompts it was B to decline, but as I was shuffling around him about to press B I must have moved just out of this context zone, so when I pressed it I lunged at him and knocked the poor fella on his arse. I set off back to my horse, but he jumped up and started shooting me, so I had no choice but to take him out.

Meanwhile the sound of the gunfire scared my horse and off she bolted. At the same time someone else must have spotted what happened so the witness box popped up. I ran up the hill and saw the witness riding off towards Valentine, so I gave chase on foot, letting off the odd shot with my pistol to see if I could stop them before they reached civilisation. I didn’t!

The Wanted box appeared and as I was running away from it a group of 3 fellas on horseback decided to start taking shots at me. I murdered them all and ran into the hills, laughing at the mayhem that ensued just from a slightly wrong timed button press.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the madness, but it really is a mess of a control scheme. That kind of stuff happens pretty regularly as well, but you just have to laugh at the ridiculousness of the situations you get into from fumbling with the controls.

@JPL Once, again stop tagging me if I've negged your post because I either disagree with it or think it's a lot of nonsense. 

It's not even remotely a mess of a control scheme. It's a little idiosyncratic and takes a little while to get used to because it doesn't wholly conform to the lazy COD scheme that all gamers seem to want -- I remember the more interesting days of the PS2 when odd-ball games had their own control schemes that you had to put a little bit of effort into, see the Switch thread for Katamari moaning. Of course, the unique thing with video games, is that their interactive. There's a human interface element in their and that makes it all rather subjective.

I've had zero problems with RDR2's controls and I'm aware and always mindful that there is an animation priority approach to everything, so I let it perform the animation rather than mashing the buttons like some sort of impatient petulant child. See also - The Last Guardian. 

29 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

@JPL Once, again stop tagging me if I've negged your post because I either disagree with it or think it's a lot of nonsense. 

It's not even remotely a mess of a control scheme. It's a little idiosyncratic and takes a little while to get used to because it doesn't wholly conform to the lazy COD scheme that all gamers seem to want -- I remember the more interesting days of the PS2 when odd-ball games had their own control schemes that you had to put a little bit of effort into, see the Switch thread for Katamari moaning. Of course, the unique thing with video games, is that their interactive. There's a human interface element in their and that makes it all rather subjective.

I've had zero problems with RDR2's controls and I'm aware and always mindful that there is an animation priority approach to everything, so I let it perform the animation rather than mashing the buttons like some sort of impatient petulant child. See also - The Last Guardian. 

I’m not sure what to say to that, as I don’t mash buttons like a petulant child, I don’t play CoD and I also don’t mind quirky controls, but I still find it a needlessly complex and fiddly system. Each to their own though and if you think it’s perfect the way it is, that’s all good. All I was pointing out was that I’ve had plenty of instances where it’s led to some real comedy moments and they’re fun as well. It’s certainly not a fluid system though.

As for the rep system, surely it’s ok to engage people on it? Why are we allowed to see who’s given us rep, if not to ask them why?* I’m going to keep using it the way I do, so if you don’t like it, then maybe stop using it.

*maybe a mod could clear this up? I’m not doing it to piss you off, I was just interested in your reasoning.

2 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’m not sure what to say to that, as I don’t mash buttons like a petulant child, I don’t play CoD and I also don’t mind quirky controls, but I still find it a needlessly complex and fiddly system. Each to their own though and if you think it’s perfect the way it is, that’s all good. All I was pointing out was that I’ve had plenty of instances where it’s led to some real comedy moments and they’re fun as well. It’s certainly not a fluid system though.

Yes, that comment wasn't directed specifically at yourself, I was talking in general. A holistic view...and more why I find the dismissal of RDR2's controls and systems quite so annoying. But yes, each to their own. 

9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yes, that comment wasn't directed specifically at yourself, I was talking in general. A holistic view...and more why I find the dismissal of RDR2's controls and systems quite so annoying. But yes, each to their own. 

It feels to me like they had the control scheme in place from the start and then as the game grew, the systems expanded and more items could be collected that they had to make do with a setup that wasn’t initially designed for that amount of stuff.

Things like when I want something to eat and go into the radial wheel, it takes an age to scroll through everything I’ve collected to find the right kind of consumable for the meters I need to fill, or setting up your weapons with different ammo, where you end up playing Twister with your fingers!

It all just feels a bit of a struggle to me, not to the detriment of the game, but I can see why people are moaning about it.

I haven't had any deaths caused by pressing the wrong button, but I have unwittingly started about three or four rapidly snowballing murder sprees that began with me accidentally ploughing into another horseman while playing in cinematic mode and checking my phone with one eye on the telly. You have to be especially vigilant when driving wagons because NPCs don't seem to think it's a good idea to get out of the way of a tonne of horse and wood charging towards them at 60mph, and immediately start shooting you when they get to their feet, which means you have to repay then in kind, of course, as well as any witnesses, hence the murder sprees.

I had another one yesterday as well, where a man and his son are building a house just south of Valentine. I stopped by and they asked me to bring them some wood. I played through the side quests and eventually got chance to bring them back a wagon full from the lumber yard. As I approached the house I parked the wagon up and jumped off to go and collect my thanks from the father. No button prompts this time though, so as usual I pressed LT to target him to make the dialogue button prompts appear. Only I didn’t notice I had my shotgun drawn for some reason and ended up aiming straight at him, which caused both him and his son to flee. I immediately got a Witness box pop up for trespassing, so I just wandered off bemused that they both thought I was there for action even though I’d just spent a good half hour of quests to bring them the wood they needed. I left it there in case they still wanted it when they stopped acting so irrationally.

I’ll swing by again in a few days to see if they’ve finished the house. Then murder them for being so ungrateful.

10 hours ago, JPL said:

It feels to me like they had the control scheme in place from the start and then as the game grew, the systems expanded and more items could be collected that they had to make do with a setup that wasn’t initially designed for that amount of stuff.

Things like when I want something to eat and go into the radial wheel, it takes an age to scroll through everything I’ve collected to find the right kind of consumable for the meters I need to fill, or setting up your weapons with different ammo, where you end up playing Twister with your fingers!

It all just feels a bit of a struggle to me, not to the detriment of the game, but I can see why people are moaning about it.

I think that's a sign you're not using things often enough. The game is generous with items, so you don't need to hoard for emergencies or run around with half empty meters. You should certainly be using maxing out all the cores and stuff before a mission that has a "no health items" goal. 

6 hours ago, ChrisN said:

I think that's a sign you're not using things often enough. The game is generous with items, so you don't need to hoard for emergencies or run around with half empty meters. You should certainly be using maxing out all the cores and stuff before a mission that has a "no health items" goal. 

Yeah maybe, but I never really feel the need unless I’m bottoming out. The game is so generous in keeping you alive, that the consumption of items feels a bit perfunctory and more like busywork than something necessary. It’s obviously a tough job to balance these things, so it doesn’t feel too punishing for players who can’t be bothered with it, but that leaves it a bit redundant for people who want to use it. That still doesn’t excuse having to use both triggers, the left stick and the d-pad in some kind of finger gymnastics if I want high velocity bullets in my rifle.

I stand by my thoughts on it. Great game, terrible control system.

The realism of the landscape in this constantly amazes me. Like, whenever I see a column of smoke from a campfire out of the corner of my eye, I almost invariably process it as an electricity pylon or the Crystal Palace transmitter, just for an instant, because that’s what my brain is used to seeing in these environments and it makes a momentary category error because the surrounding landscape looks so flipping convincing.

The writing in this is interesting. The main story missions and a lot of the side-missions are beautifully written, rarely playing out how you expect, and with much more nuance and attention to character than we normally get in Rockstar productions, but a lot of the side-missions fall into the same old structure of having Chester P Zaniwack III run out, caper around while shouting at you, and then ask you to kill someone / rob a bank / collect 2,000 pigeons, etc. Which Arthur then agrees to, despite spending most of the conversation saying “what?” or “you’re crazy”. Even the body language of the wacky side-characters is strongly reminiscent of similar characters in GTA. It makes me wonder if they had different writers on board for the main story, because it seems so far ahead of any previous Rockstar game that I struggle to believe the same people were responsible for GTA V. Maybe Rockstar’s narrative people are better at telling stories straight than they are when they’re trying to be funny or trying to do social commentary, which I guess is borne out by Max Payne 3 and RDR1, but neither of those were anywhere near as well-executed as RDR2.

25 minutes ago, K said:

The writing in this is interesting. The main story missions and a lot of the side-missions are beautifully written, rarely playing out how you expect, and with much more nuance and attention to character than we normally get in Rockstar productions, but a lot of the side-missions fall into the same old structure of having Chester P Zaniwack III run out, caper around while shouting at you, and then ask you to kill someone / rob a bank / collect 2,000 pigeons, etc. Which Arthur then agrees to, despite spending most of the conversation saying “what?” or “you’re crazy”.

There's definitely a tension there with several of the more wacky side missions, for sure. The crazy Tesla guy, or the menagerie people and so on. There's no reason for Arthur (as opposed to the player) wanting to get involved - although with a few, they sort of try in that eventually they mention money - and because Arthur and co feel so real, it stood out for me too.