IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Mr Do 71

2 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Gave it a rest for a week or two but last night and this morning I polished off chapter 4 and I’m well in to if not nearly finished on chapter 5.

It could well be game of the generation but I still feel the mission design in GTA V was better generally. Being out in the wilderness and getting distracted by its beauty is this games strong point. 

I’m not just asking you this, as it’s been mentioned quite a lot in here, but why do you think it could be the game of the generation?

I’m not sure what chapter I’m up to. I’ve done...

the island and now I’m back around Saint Denis.

I’m enjoying it, but it’s not coming anywhere near game of the generation yet for me. Clunky controls, terrible UI and overly-scripted linear missions, as well realised as they are, leave me a bit disappointed with it. I just wonder why so many people are saying it, even with all the stuff that feels so antiquated.

1 hour ago, Monkeyspill said:

Ok - so witnessing a hit and run, then taking the corpse as evidence to the lawman in Valentine didn’t go down too well. Another death, lots of lost cash and a bounty. I should have known better.

All they're going to see is you riding into town with a corpse on your horse. :lol:

3 hours ago, JPL said:

I’m not just asking you this, as it’s been mentioned quite a lot in here, but why do you think it could be the game of the generation?

I’m not sure what chapter I’m up to. I’ve done...

Reveal hidden contents

the island and now I’m back around Saint Denis.

I’m enjoying it, but it’s not coming anywhere near game of the generation yet for me. Clunky controls, terrible UI and overly-scripted linear missions, as well realised as they are, leave me a bit disappointed with it. I just wonder why so many people are saying it, even with all the stuff that feels so antiquated.

It’s got a lot of hard competition for example ... GTA V, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Batman Arkham Knight as I look through my personal Trophy List.

Yes the controls are a total bummer, they are terrible, but after 20 odd hours they become second nature. Movement in the game is slow and sluggish and frustrating. The missions are generally above ‘bland’ but not something you want to instantly replay.

The open world is so massive and so well done though. I always wanted a game where you could just go walk around fields and Forrest’s shooting stuff.

The main game isn’t the main game for me, the main game is all the peripheral stuff.

I havn’t tried online yet though but i’m Sure some leopard skin trouser wearing gangster wannabes will probably spoil it.

I’ve said it before though, Rockstar game age THE WORST out of any developer out there.

Gta 4 seemed so amazing but couldn’t possibly be any worse when going back to it.

10 hours ago, Steven said:

Just got to Chapter 2.  Was quite sceptical but I think it's really bloody good so far.

It really does get better and better too. It's an incredibly long game without even doing side missions. I've still not finished it and I bought it on launch and haven't been playing much else.

It reminds me a lot of Breath of The Wild where I'll just play it and decide to go to A, B and then C just for a journey. I am close to the end credits but there are still little stories along the way that crop up like:

I discover two guys trying to open a safe but I don't have any dynamite so I just watch them try and break it with a pick axe to no avail.

Gavin! again, poor chap.

Crazy preacher in the river.

I went back to some of the camp places I've abandoned and I find some stuff left behind - that was a nice touch.

I approach what looks like a dead body on the beach... :lol:

13 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Gta 4 seemed so amazing but couldn’t possibly be any worse when going back to it.

GTA 4 was horrible when it came out, having all the early missions send you across the toll bridge and back, and pushing you to go on dull dates and bonding activities with Roman instead of cutting loose causing mayhem in the city. Redemption 2 kind of has the same flaws, but for city livers the fantasy of camping under the stars and hunting animals clearly has far more appeal than going to a bar or poorly simulated bowlerama.

18 hours ago, Harrisown said:

It’s got a lot of hard competition for example ... GTA V, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, Batman Arkham Knight as I look through my personal Trophy List.

Yes the controls are a total bummer, they are terrible, but after 20 odd hours they become second nature. Movement in the game is slow and sluggish and frustrating. The missions are generally above ‘bland’ but not something you want to instantly replay.

The open world is so massive and so well done though. I always wanted a game where you could just go walk around fields and Forrest’s shooting stuff.

The main game isn’t the main game for me, the main game is all the peripheral stuff.

I havn’t tried online yet though but i’m Sure some leopard skin trouser wearing gangster wannabes will probably spoil it.

I’ve said it before though, Rockstar game age THE WORST out of any developer out there.

Sounds like it’s nowhere near game of the generation for you either then, even though you said it could be in your previous post!

I really can’t be bothered with any of the peripheral activities. There’s nothing in there that doesn’t feel like busywork to me, which makes pushing through the main story, wrestling with the stupidly awkward controls, feel like a complete waste of such a beautiful world.

3 hours ago, Harrisown said:

Made a terrible mistake. Rocket League is the game of the generation. It was hiding in plain sight as I paused it to see my Trophy history.

And this seals the deal.

I paid off my bounty. Then went o do a debt collection mission where I was kindly given another bounty just for doing it. Next time I left camp I was jumped by the O’Driscoll’s and slaughtered them all. Hid all the bodies. Took their wagon because I knew I could sell it. On the way found a woman who needed a ride back to town. Got to town, alarms go off because of my bounty. Woman runs off. That’s literally just taken 10 minutes of my time. I run off to pay bounty at the edge of town. Come back and wagon has vanished. Shit design.

17 minutes ago, choddo said:

I paid off my bounty. Then went o do a debt collection mission where I was kindly given another bounty just for doing it. Next time I left camp I was jumped by the O’Driscoll’s and slaughtered them all. Hid all the bodies. Took their wagon because I knew I could sell it. On the way found a woman who needed a ride back to town. Got to town, alarms go off because of my bounty. Woman runs off. That’s literally just taken 10 minutes of my time. I run off to pay bounty at the edge of town. Come back and wagon has vanished. Shit design.

10/10. Game of the generation.

34 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

You can rag on Red Dead all you like but truth is it’s probably the best game world ever created....for all it’s faults i’m Not even remotely bored of being inside it.

I’m only joking. Mr. Chadruharazzeb seemed to take it as a personal slight for some reason though.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the world looks absolutely fantastic. It’s a pleasure to roam around in. Outside of the story missions though and especially if you’re not into hunting and crafting it can sometimes feel a lonely place. I personally don’t think I’m getting the most out of its magnificence and that disappoints me a bit.

I still think Breath of the Wild has a better game world though. Obviously nowhere near as detailed graphically, but it really felt that every place had a purpose and the way it was laid out you knew exactly where in the world you were at all times.

I loved Breath of The Wild. It's probably the best game I've ever played but Red Dead comes close. The issue I had after playing Breath of The Wild for 200 hours + is that the game World was indeed fantastic but it was kind of predictable - you had large expanses with nothing in them but then, you'd have little things dotted amongst those large expanses where you knew there was something of interest - they were, after playing for 50 or 60 hours, signposted almost. Red Dead felt different than that as the environment is the same throughout - you happen across things a lot more and it felt more "real" (for want of a better word).

You need to put in the hours and having watched a lot of Youtube videos on completing the main story, there are things out there I haven't been to and a lot left to discover.  What amazes me about the game is that there are areas with literally nothing of interest and nothing to interact with that are simply beautiful - there are waterfalls and fields of wild flowers just there for no reason other than drawing you into the game world and making it feel authentic.  There are invisible walls in the game but it is the most real World I've seen in a game. The audio in this game is also something else - walk through any town and you hear unique conversations - most games will use the same dialogue over and over again and admittedly, the dialogue options for Arthur are samey but you can sit in a bar playing poker and hear all sorts of stories. 

One thing I can criticise the game for is... 

Putting money into the camp is pretty much pointless. It adds nothing to the game. I'd have liked that to have had a point. It would have meant crafting/hunting had a real purpose. You are constantly told by Dutch that you need money but you can get away with donating nothing. I poured $1,000s into the camp for no actual reward.

2 hours ago, neoELITE said:

One thing I can criticise the game for is... 

Hide contents

Putting money into the camp is pretty much pointless. It adds nothing to the game. I'd have liked that to have had a point. It would have meant crafting/hunting had a real purpose. You are constantly told by Dutch that you need money but you can get away with donating nothing. I poured $1,000s into the camp for no actual reward.

Glad it wasn't just me that thought that.

Everything you do for the camp - the donations, the upgrades (except fast travel) are utterly pointless, especially when you reach the half way point of the game.

Another thing that's pointless:

New Austin. Absolutely sod all to do there. Why?!

I think the purpose of the camp stuff was at least partly so that, as the storyline progressed,

Spoiler

there was an obvious and steady decline in the state of the later camps. By the end, there was no longer even a kitty to donate to and you could do nothing, even if you wanted to, to bolster the waning supplies as the gang disintegrated.

I don't know if that's good gameplay, but it worked within the plot. And really, it's a bit silly to be complaining that amassing one particular category of random stuff in a videogame is more or less pointless than some other one; I reckon it's all fairly pointless...! Personally, I found it more aggravating that the game

Spoiler

twice took away all of my stuff for protracted periods. This seems particularly heinous in a game stuffed with RPG and general progression elements. Similarly when I lost my elaborately constructed outfits for the epilogue (or at least as far as I've found so far - slightly lost interest since Arthur departed, though I will get around to avenging him with Micah at some point).

Much as I love this game, the way they’ve implemented the bolt-action rifle really bugs me. They’ve clearly tried to replicate the feeling of working the bolt after every shot, but because of the way that it behaves differently depending on whether you’re in cover, out of cover, or aiming, I can never quite remember whether the bolt’s been cycled or not, and keep either firing off rounds when I don’t mean to, or having to work the action when I want to shoot someone. 

Like, if you’re aiming and out of cover, one press of R2 fires the gun, and another works the bolt. But if you’re in cover and not aiming, one press of R2 works the action AND fires the gun. L2 works the bolt in that situation. If you're outside of cover and not aiming, pressing R2 will just fire the gun. My muscle memory could never really keep track of what’s about to happen when I press R2, leading to me blundering around gunfights when I should be William Munny-ing my way through.  

Finally went into Valentine last night and fuck me the framerate really takes a hit. I don't normally feel that fussed by things like this but it was really bugging me after a while. Looked at some performance vids and it seems that only the X can manage to hold steady.  I can't justify buying an X at this point in the generation as there's genuinely nothing else on it for me. Actually thinking of parking this one until I can play it in all its intended splendour.

Had about a week's break over Christmas from playing this. Getting back into it now and up to chapter 6.

I do feel as though I should've done a bit more hunting but I've found it a bit boring to be honest. I've just hunted for a few things to make camp look nicer, and a couple of satchels. The outfits you get from the trapper just look so stupid, I've not done them at all, beyond a bear and a beaver hat.

A lot of the hunting feels superfluous. It's not like the game is any more difficult if you don't do any crafting. I guess it's mostly there as world building, to immerse you more. Admittedly, there have been times during early morning hunts around, for example, a lake that the atmosphere has been terrific.

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Finally went into Valentine last night and fuck me the framerate really takes a hit. I don't normally feel that fussed by things like this but it was really bugging me after a while. Looked at some performance vids and it seems that only the X can manage to hold steady.  I can't justify buying an X at this point in the generation as there's genuinely nothing else on it for me. Actually thinking of parking this one until I can play it in all its intended splendour.

What do you mean, there isn’t anything you want to play on the X? It’s got a great selection of exclusives, but where it really shines are multi platform titles, as you’ve mentioned yourself with RDR2, and backwards compatibility. I honestly can’t believe there’s nothing you’d get from it.

As for parking it until you can play it in all its splendour. I’m not sure how you’re going to do that without picking up an X or waiting a few years for the next gen. I doubt they’ll be able to get it running any better on the current base systems.

In other news, I’ve just started Chapter 6 myself. I still feel like I’m waiting for it to really wow me, but I also feel like I’m getting too close to the end for that to happen. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been a fun ride playing it as a scripted, linear story, but nothing outside of that has grabbed me. Maybe I’m burnt out on Rockstar’s formula, as I loved the original. I’m just not sure why this hasn’t pulled me in in the same way. It’s no big deal though, as 2019 is looking like it’ll be another good one.

Pretty much why I haven't bothered with a MS machine this gen - none of their exclusive stuff appeals. Not one game has had me think I have to have one. RDR2 is literally the only thing that I'd bother with because of the performance boost. To put it into context for you, I've finished one game this year with the gaming time I've had, so buying another console to play one game isn't a great idea. I've played two games on the Switch I bought at launch and I've only completed one of them - I don't have time for new games, let alone old BC stuff. I think we're winding up on this gen in the next 18 months, so I'll be ok waiting a while ( I think)

Slowly grinding my way through this. The start of Chapter 5 is a bit of a departure, right?

It feels like it’s over ridiculously quickly, like they’d done too much work on the sequence to remove it entirely, but hadn’t done enough to make it fit with the rest of the game. It seems like it was originally intended to be a much more substantial part of the game, given that there’s an “open” world you spend all of about ten minutes in, and that it jumps from scripted mission to scripted mission at an absolutely breakneck pace, introducing characters and almost immediately getting rid of them. It’s a stunningly beautiful section, and I can see why they didn’t want to remove it given how unbelievably lavish it is, but it feels like it needed more time to breath. In terms of story, it feels like they could have done away with it entirely, and had Arthur et al hole up in the swamp for a couple of days – although maybe it’ll pay off later in the game.

The scale of the game is pretty incredible. I’ve been sticking mostly to the areas of the game that the story takes me to, so the entire north-east of the map is almost completely unexplored. There are whole towns and communities up there that I’ve never seen before. Although that scale does sometimes work against the game – there’s one recurring character that the game assumes I’ll recognise on sight that I could not place at all, as I’d only encountered her once, dozens of hours ago. That bit probably needed to give the player a couple of additional clues as to who she was, and what her relationship to Arthur was.

@K Whuch character? I did a side mission which ended in Annesburg yesterday and when it was over Arthur noticed a woman going into a house with some bloke and called out her name (I can’t remember what it was). She hurried in the house and that was it. I think I might have bumped into her in a similar situation in Saint Denis as well, but I can’t remember why I should know her or why her situation is important.