Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Mr Do 71

I don’t think that turning a few eerie mysteries in to yet more Stranger Missions would have improved the game.

It would be nice if there was something like that which formed an ambient narrative or something but the uncanny gets is power, in part, due to its singular nature. Changing those parts of the game wouldn’t be a positive in that regard; they work as they are.

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t think that turning a few eerie mysteries in to yet more Stranger Missions would have improved the game.

They don’t have to be stranger missions, just some clues to lead you on a journey that builds the story out a bit further. You know, a bit of gameplay attached.

I think having some discoveries lead to a trail that you can follow at your leisure (rather than a scripted mission) would be a nice addition, with others remaining solitary and interesting encounters. 

But I'm a fan of environmental discovery and self-driven exploration - entertainment doesn't have to be led by the hand all the time. Using phrases like "a bit of gameplay attached" feels a bit like you're dismissing that.

20 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I think having some discoveries lead to a trail that you can follow at your leisure (rather than a scripted mission) would be a nice addition, with others remaining solitary and interesting encounters. 

But I'm a fan of environmental discovery and self-driven exploration - entertainment doesn't have to be led by the hand all the time. Using phrases like "a bit of gameplay attached" feels a bit like you're dismissing that.

I don’t want to be handheld, but I think that’s missing my point a bit. I just feel the initial mystery quickly wears off because the encounters are so shallow. They’re just too throwaway. That’s probably great for a lot of people, but I’d like it if they scattered a few clues, so you could follow it to uncover more.

I guess the problem with that is there’s no way of knowing which part of a multi-part mystery the player will discover first. Unless the additional parts are in previously inaccessible areas or something.

I think you could make it interesting even if non-linear by doubly linking them - The first encounter could have clues for the second, which in turn could have clues linking back to the first. Useful if you stumble across it in the wrong order, useful for confirming that the the two are linked, and useful if you forget the first and stumble across the second.

9 hours ago, Rob_Pulsar said:

Quick question.  I died whilst out of mission and when I reloaded, my horse (that I’d paid $150 for) had disappeared / been replaced with a different horse. Is this expected or just a glitch? Ta. 

Try checking a stable, it might be there. Do you have your saddle?

I decided to treat myself to a new horse last night. My current horse, Terence Horse, has served me well over the course of the game, but I thought I'd spend some of my ill-gotten gains on an expensive Arabian elite horse, Neil Tennant, who has a beautiful shiny coat and a knack for writing wry, ironic love songs. I feel like I've made a slight error, as Terence Horse was the war-horse / shire-horse you got for pre-ordering the game, and I've gotten far too used to his size. Neil Tennant is absolutely tiny in comparison, it feels like I'm riding around on a Shetland pony. Arthur looks ridiculous riding round on the back of Neil Tennant.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

@K Is that the same one I found up by the snowy lake? The might be small, but their speed more than makes up for it.

I bought this one, for a slightly distressing amount of money, from the stables in St Denis.

I have noticed that the Race horses are a lot more jittery.

Speaking of race horses, I was expecting to take part in some races as part of a storyline, I think I have just found just one random guy who wanted one and I left him for dust. 

6 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I had that lovely white Arabian from the frozen lake also, and also ditched it for a golden Turkoman from St Denis due primarily to size insecurity. Silly Arthur.

I got this one the other day after my bought Elite was crushed under a train.

56 minutes ago, K said:

The horse race random encounters are pretty annoying, as you have to take the exact route that your opponent does. If you try to go a different way, you abandon the race.

really? I only did the one but it let me smash across fields and through the woods okay. I won by like 2 minutes 

Spoiler

my opponent wasn't happy but blamed his horse and blew it's brains out. Arthur wasn't standing for this, fed him to some alligators.

2 minutes ago, Naieve said:

really? I only did the one but it let me smash across fields and through the woods okay. I won by like 2 minutes 

Reveal hidden contents

my opponent wasn't happy but blamed his horse and blew it's brains out. Arthur wasn't standing for this, fed him to some alligators.

I've only done a couple, but the I got a YOU ABANDONED THE RACE message on one (a race to Catfish Jackson's, IIRC) because I went off-piste.

I kind of died about the same time as my horse, Sad Ken last night. Was kind of expecting to be in for a long walk back to wherever I was going, but Sad Ken had somehow managed to survive the onslaught.

What's everyone's bounty at? Mines a mildly whopping £238. I take it I've got to be slightly less of a bastard to reduce that bounty? I slaughtered a group of bounty hunters last night which was untold, I'd run out of shotgun slugs by the time the second group turned up so got a proper drubbing.