rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Nice little insight (with no spoilers) into the voice acting process for Red Dead 2 by the guy who played Javier here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-12-11-red-dead-redemption-2-voice-actor-on-the-games-secretive-five-year-shooting-schedule

Had a chuckle at this bit:

On bonding as a gang...

"It's rare to work on anything for five years, but especially so with such good people - not one naysayer in the bunch - and bond with them so well. And weirdly, everybody started taking on some of the role they were playing in the gang. We'd be on lunch break and we're all gathered around Ben [Benjamin Byron Davis, who portrays gang leader Dutch van der Linde] who's trying to figure out the New York Times crossword puzzle like Dutch. No one thinks it's going to happen but he's got a plan.

"Noshir [Dalal, who plays Charles Smith] is doing some one-handed push-ups and Rob [Wiethoff, who plays John Marston] is sitting there talking about the joys of mixing concrete, and Rog [Roger Clark, aka Arthur Morgan] is practising a Bane impression, and Steve [J. Palmer, Bill Williamson] is hyping the next Star Wars movie, and Peter [Blomquist, Micah Bell] is making some off-colour comment about teabagging and no one knows what he's talking about."

:lol:

• Upvote 1

I'm a couple of hours into this and finding it all pretty overwhelming. Systems in top of systems on top of other systems. The controls are a bit of a struggle as well. Any tips to help me enjoy it more? I've been exploring a bit but I get the feeling I should just stick to all the story missions for now. I'm also experiencing a really annoying controller bug where Arthur walks forward every time I hold L2, but in fairness to the game that's my pad on the way out, not the game itself.

• Upvote 1

My only advice would be relax and don't rush it. Do what you like. I suppose maybe get to the end of chapter 2 as that means all your systems and options will be available. Controls and systems will come with time, I felt the same at the start.

• Upvote 1

Also, you don't really need to remember anything. The game is pretty good at indicating what you need to do at any moment, so there are loads of prompts when you need to do something important, and the bottom right of the screen will usually show you what happens at any given moment if you press a particular button.

Top tips:

-left on the d-pad opens a kind of quick menu showing challenges and items

-right on the d-pad opens your satchel

-holding down start is a shortcut to the map

-if you pick up a new gun, you won't lose your old one, despite what the prompt says

• Upvote 5

So, me and my Elite horse have been a team for most of the game now, as you can imagine I grew fond of this horse, he was called Shadow and was pretty much maxed out.

I thought I would go off story for a bit and complete some challenges.  Shoot 5 birds from a moving train, oh that sounds easy I thought.  Unfortunately as soon as the train pulled into the town the minimap went crazy with red dots and I was under a lot of fire.  I clambered to the front of the train, pulled the driver out and accelerated the engine, it was at this point  that my beloved steed ran past me, straight in front of the train and under its wheels.  Why, I don't know.  There are many many flaws with this game but I love it like an incestuous brother.

I spent a few hours tracking and training my new northern Arabian last night but Shadow will never be forgotten.

• Upvote 1

Anyone else had an update this evening? 

Said it was ~1.3gb but now it seems to be updating the entire 92gb install! It's gonna take all bloody night at this rate. 

Edit: I've cancelled and restarted it, which then told me there was an 8gb update, but now it's trying to reinstall from the disc. wtf. 

I had a 1.3GB update last night.

I'm really concerned I'm not going to finish this before I have to travel for Xmas. 6 days and counting...

16 minutes ago, christaylor said:

Anyone else had an update this evening? 

Said it was ~1.3gb but now it seems to be updating the entire 92gb install! It's gonna take all bloody night at this rate. 

Edit: I've cancelled and restarted it, which then told me there was an 8gb update, but now it's trying to reinstall from the disc. wtf. 

Mine downloaded OK. 

I've killed three horses today. I was alerted by a lunatic in a river, went towards the screaming and my horse slipped down a bank and broke his neck - poor Rigby. Cost me over $300 about an hour before and I had to buy Rigby as, I was galloping out of camp and I was bushwhacked by a group of goons, point blank shotgun to my horse Pickle Rick. 

I'm Chapter VI now and things are going South.

Arthur is really ill now - his eyes are bloodshot and he's coughing and I don't think he has long left

:( I actually like my version of Arthur, his honour is about 80%. I got the final two Strauss money lending missions and Strauss can fuck off - I declined to take either of the debts and booted his sorry ass out of the camp.

Busted John out of prison including a triple kill with a pump action shotgun on the bridge by the prison gates - the kill cam was like something from Doom or Bullet Storm - a severed hand flying off in slow motion was unexpected.

I enjoyed the bizarre hot air balloon ride and once I'd come back down to Earth and the O'Driscoll gang were all dead I spent about twenty minutes piling up all the bodies on the shore and chucked a fire bottle on the fuckers.

Micah is a complete prick - I hate him. Dutch is also a deranged maniac and I don't like him at all either.

The pace has really ramped up and the character arcs are making everything interesting. I think I can guess the fate of Arthur but it's a real cliffhanger for me. I can't wait to finish it now - I go on leave next Tuesday and I am off work until the 2nd January so I think I'll finish this and dip into the online stuff.

It's my game of the year and I've yet to get used to the beauty of the game. It's the light - even if you've travelled a road 50 times before, the weather/light/time of day just make it look fresh and new every single time. It might be a bit dodgy to control but I think you're just supposed to be slow as the environment is jaw dropping.

Yesterday I decided to stock up on health cures and see how far I can get beyond Blackwater. I got quite a long way. Interesting... no spoilers.

• Upvote 3

Agree with all that spoilered stuff above. :)

Particularly my feelings on Arthur, Strauss, Micah and Dutch. And yes, beyond Blackwater...hmm. ;)

Aaaaand...done cowpokes!

Absolutely bloody brilliant and what an ending! :o

That really was utterly, utterly fantastic in so many ways. Loved it. GOTY if not generation for me. :D

That was...emotional. Now off to the spoilers and online threads...

• Upvote 2

Can’t believe the brass on the guy who said there’s nothing to do in this game - I just found an awesome pirate hat!

Also, the Nikola Tesla guy finally reappeared so I can do his missions at last.

Anyone else having trouble with the varmint cartridges disappearing though? Seems to be a bug in the latest patch maybe.

14 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Anyone else having trouble with the varmint cartridges disappearing though? Seems to be a bug in the latest patch maybe.

Yeah, I've had mine go missing at least twice. Never seems to happen to any other guns.

I found out when the bug happens, anyway. There are two bits in chapter four where you have to give up your weapons, and each time your varmint cartridges and enhanced arrows disapppear.

I am beginning to question how the fuck anyone has found the dinosaur bones and rock carvings without resorting to a map. There are so many obvious spots to look for the things, and not one of them is ever right.

• Upvote 2

I don’t understand why there’s so much amazing detail in this game, yet almost two months past release, they still can’t fix the guns disappearing or changing at random times. Did they give that bit to the work experience person or something?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I ended up trading this in today. Despite how impressive it is in many regards, I just couldn’t get over the feeling that it’s a chore to play. Incredibly slow moving, the random encounters as you trek across the countryside aren’t interesting and fun very much seems like a secondary goal for Rockstar. 

• Upvote 1

I’m trying to hunt iguana but all I’ve got is pistols. The iguanas are 

on a small island away from camp. Taking the boat over there means leaving the horse with all the weapons (I want my varmint rifle!). I can’t see a way to take the guns off the horse because I have to go through camp to get to the boat.

8 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’m trying to hunt iguana but all I’ve got is pistols. The iguanas are 

Hide contents

on a small island away from camp. Taking the boat over there means leaving the horse with all the weapons (I want my varmint rifle!). I can’t see a way to take the guns off the horse because I have to go through camp to get to the boat.

Whistling the horse to the island worked for me

Just now, Majora said:

Whistling the horse to the island worked for me

I tried that but it couldn’t get through the water. I slept at night (because the iguanas only seem to come out during the day) and I was teleported back to the mainland. I’ve just swum over there with the rifle. It almost killed me.

I killed some O'Driscolls in Valentine but wore my bandana as I thought it would disguise my identity. Turns out I now have a massive bounty anyway. What's that about? And do I have to pay it, or does it disappear after a while?

You don't have to pay it (I always did) but if you don't you'll have to avoid the law in towns and will chased by bounty hunters periodically. 

5 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I ended up trading this in today. Despite how impressive it is in many regards, I just couldn’t get over the feeling that it’s a chore to play. Incredibly slow moving, the random encounters as you trek across the countryside aren’t interesting and fun very much seems like a secondary goal for Rockstar. 

I disagree about the random encounters. I went off to go hunting for moose at Cairn Lake, north of the map and encountered the following...

Spoiler

A hunter called me over to say his friend had left the cabin they were staying in and had gone missing in the snow, and would I help find him. He started searching around the lake and I went uphill on my horse to scout the area higher up. Eventually found his mate on a rock with his face ripped off. Gruesome. Went back to tell the hunter and he was distraught. Off he went running up the slope to take a look.

Now, at this point, I guess I could've just rode off on my horse and that would have been the end of it. But I decided to follow him. When he arrived at his dead friend, he dropped to his knees, howling in anguish. Poor bloke, I think. Then suddenly, a grizzly bear, probably the one who killed his friend comes tearing round the corner and attacks him, ripping him to shreds! I try to help, unloading countless rounds into the grizzly but it's too tough. The hunter is killed and then the bear turns on me, throwing me around as they do, and I only just manage to kill it.

I stand up. The snow all around is stained with blood. It's carnage. I feel sorry for the two guys who got killed but thankful that I'm still alive.

As ever, setting out for a simple task... moose hunting, and end up being surprised by a little self contained story.

• Upvote 9

I had a random encounter when I approached a house in New Hanover out of curiosity. There was no white marker on the minimap for this one, so it was quite unexpected.

Spoiler

A rather plump man in dungarees invited Arthur inside for some food and moonshine. I let it play out - him and his wife drugged Arthur, robbed him and left him alive in a shallow grave in the countryside. Naturally, Arthur does not take kindly to this, and makes his unhappiness known in no uncertain terms. 

I very much enjoyed that most of it played out without cinematics - you could leave at any time, go against the grain, but curiosity kept it going.

• Upvote 4