Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Mr Do 71

Aaaaand...done cowpokes!

Absolutely bloody brilliant and what an ending! :o

That really was utterly, utterly fantastic in so many ways. Loved it. GOTY if not generation for me. :D

That was...emotional. Now off to the spoilers and online threads...

Can’t believe the brass on the guy who said there’s nothing to do in this game - I just found an awesome pirate hat!

Also, the Nikola Tesla guy finally reappeared so I can do his missions at last.

Anyone else having trouble with the varmint cartridges disappearing though? Seems to be a bug in the latest patch maybe.

I found out when the bug happens, anyway. There are two bits in chapter four where you have to give up your weapons, and each time your varmint cartridges and enhanced arrows disapppear.

I am beginning to question how the fuck anyone has found the dinosaur bones and rock carvings without resorting to a map. There are so many obvious spots to look for the things, and not one of them is ever right.

I ended up trading this in today. Despite how impressive it is in many regards, I just couldn’t get over the feeling that it’s a chore to play. Incredibly slow moving, the random encounters as you trek across the countryside aren’t interesting and fun very much seems like a secondary goal for Rockstar. 

I’m trying to hunt iguana but all I’ve got is pistols. The iguanas are 

on a small island away from camp. Taking the boat over there means leaving the horse with all the weapons (I want my varmint rifle!). I can’t see a way to take the guns off the horse because I have to go through camp to get to the boat.

8 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’m trying to hunt iguana but all I’ve got is pistols. The iguanas are 

Hide contents

on a small island away from camp. Taking the boat over there means leaving the horse with all the weapons (I want my varmint rifle!). I can’t see a way to take the guns off the horse because I have to go through camp to get to the boat.

Whistling the horse to the island worked for me

Just now, Majora said:

Whistling the horse to the island worked for me

I tried that but it couldn’t get through the water. I slept at night (because the iguanas only seem to come out during the day) and I was teleported back to the mainland. I’ve just swum over there with the rifle. It almost killed me.

5 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I ended up trading this in today. Despite how impressive it is in many regards, I just couldn’t get over the feeling that it’s a chore to play. Incredibly slow moving, the random encounters as you trek across the countryside aren’t interesting and fun very much seems like a secondary goal for Rockstar. 

I disagree about the random encounters. I went off to go hunting for moose at Cairn Lake, north of the map and encountered the following...

Spoiler

A hunter called me over to say his friend had left the cabin they were staying in and had gone missing in the snow, and would I help find him. He started searching around the lake and I went uphill on my horse to scout the area higher up. Eventually found his mate on a rock with his face ripped off. Gruesome. Went back to tell the hunter and he was distraught. Off he went running up the slope to take a look.

Now, at this point, I guess I could've just rode off on my horse and that would have been the end of it. But I decided to follow him. When he arrived at his dead friend, he dropped to his knees, howling in anguish. Poor bloke, I think. Then suddenly, a grizzly bear, probably the one who killed his friend comes tearing round the corner and attacks him, ripping him to shreds! I try to help, unloading countless rounds into the grizzly but it's too tough. The hunter is killed and then the bear turns on me, throwing me around as they do, and I only just manage to kill it.

I stand up. The snow all around is stained with blood. It's carnage. I feel sorry for the two guys who got killed but thankful that I'm still alive.

As ever, setting out for a simple task... moose hunting, and end up being surprised by a little self contained story.

I had a random encounter when I approached a house in New Hanover out of curiosity. There was no white marker on the minimap for this one, so it was quite unexpected.

Spoiler

A rather plump man in dungarees invited Arthur inside for some food and moonshine. I let it play out - him and his wife drugged Arthur, robbed him and left him alive in a shallow grave in the countryside. Naturally, Arthur does not take kindly to this, and makes his unhappiness known in no uncertain terms. 

I very much enjoyed that most of it played out without cinematics - you could leave at any time, go against the grain, but curiosity kept it going.

4 hours ago, Len said:

You don't have to pay it (I always did) but if you don't you'll have to avoid the law in towns and will chased by bounty hunters periodically. 

I can't afford it at the moment as it is. I never seem to have enough  money for stuff. How come they knew it was me if I wore the bandana? Seems like a pretty pointless game mechanic.

Anyway, I'm only midway through chapter 2 but am bang into this now. The level of detail is staggering. My only regret is that I don't have more time to play it.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I can't afford it at the moment as it is. I never seem to have enough  money for stuff. How come they knew it was me if I wore the bandana? Seems like a pretty pointless game mechanic.

Anyway, I'm only midway through chapter 2 but am bang into this now. The level of detail is staggering. My only regret is that I don't have more time to play it.

Near your camp there is a burnt out town - check the area as there is something there that will help you out with being skint. 

5 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Civilians don't recognise you when you're behind a mask, but lawmen do.

I found that the best bet when doing some killing in a town is to get as far away as possible as quickly as possible. Taking off your bandanna and rounding a corner and walking back down the same street just doesn't really work. 

9 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

I had a random encounter when I approached a house in New Hanover out of curiosity. There was no white marker on the minimap for this one, so it was quite unexpected.

Hide contents

A rather plump man in dungarees invited Arthur inside for some food and moonshine. I let it play out - him and his wife drugged Arthur, robbed him and left him alive in a shallow grave in the countryside. Naturally, Arthur does not take kindly to this, and makes his unhappiness known in no uncertain terms. 

I very much enjoyed that most of it played out without cinematics - you could leave at any time, go against the grain, but curiosity kept it going.

8 hours ago, Len said:

I'd forgotten about them! They were very, very strange. I got in the house then dished out some justice when it all started going weird upstairs.

You went upstairs with them?!?

Anyway, i hope you guys had a good search of the house....

Spoiler

It's one of the places that gets pointed out to you by an escaped convict as being worth robbing.

I believe there is something, I can't remember what...

Spoiler

hidden behind a picture.

That house with the friendly couple was an odd experience, as part of me just wanted to go along with it and see what happens if you continue to eat the food they give you, and part of me was role-playing as Arthur, who would obviously get the fuck out of there as quickly as possible. I did a runner in the end, and feel slightly like I missed out on some content, but also quite enjoy the fact that I left it as a near-miss.

2 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

It highlights one of the disconnects that comes with it being a scripted encounter in a game - I didn't want to miss content, so I behaved in a way I wouldn't if it had been a rote encounter. But it was pretty nicely done, and I do enjoy a spot of revenge.

Aye, going back in with my guns drawn was very, very satisfying.

12 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Satisfying to me was lassoing the wife, then shooting the husband. She was not a happy camper.

I sound very psychopathic, reading that back.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Spoiler

I split her head open with a tomahawk and when he was running down the stairs to get me I blew one of his legs off at the knee with my shotgun before obliterating his entire head with a point blank follow up shot. Arthur was angry.