rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Up right in the mountains last night after talking to the tribe, the views oh the views. And that lighting, it never gets old. :wub:

I just still get so distracted from the main quest lines when playing. What an utterly astonishing game.

• Upvote 1

On 04/12/2018 at 14:12, formallyhuman said:

Try going to the stables. I had this happen to me a couple weeks ago and when I happened to go to the stables, i was able to retrieve my Warhorse.

Yeah I tried that, he's gone :( What I find weird is it has changed the horse in all my saves, like the horse model is not dependent on the save state, very odd.

The inventor bloke in the park just isn’t there. I got the ? area on the map, and his equipment was there, but no sign of the actual man. Even that’s disappeared now, apparently forever.

Ahhhh hit, my horse died. 

I was just wandering about in an area I'd been to but not really spent any time in when this redneck wearing dungarees comes ambling out of the bushes - he'd probably just done a massive shit in the woods. I thought nothing of it until I was aiming my sniper rifle at a 3 star Wild Boar that I need for a camp upgrade and boom, he's grabbed me off the horse and he's nicked it. I whistle and he gets thrown off and I hogtie the varmint. His brothers/uncles/Fathers swarm out from some trees and start shooting so I kill them all.

Well. Hogtied Redneck is still hogtied so there's only one thing to do. I grab a fire bottle and burn him alive but my horse trots up nearby and catches fire seconds afterwards and dies :(

All I wanted to do was make a table top out of a 3 star Wild Boar and Kevin bought it, my trusty steed.

Luckily, I find a stables and buy a new one - I've called him Pickle Rick.

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

Fuck I think I finished the main story without doing some of the stranger missions. I was enjoying Arthur’s budding friendship with the one-legged civil war veteran :(

edit: oooh

Spoiler

I wonder how much of the dialog they had to record twice.

• Empathy 3

Did you get his horse? If not, sad times. :(

I have one Dutch quest left on the map, I think this may be it. Hopefully sometime this weekend.

After I'd saved him (or rather his leg) he moved to his little hut next to the pond and then every so often the white marker there pops up. I went fishing for a monster pike, hunting what turned in to a pack of then monster wolf and then finally a huge bloody boar which was going goring mad. Did you get those options?

3 hours ago, Len said:

After I'd saved him (or rather his leg) he moved to his little hut next to the pond and then every so often the white marker there pops up. I went fishing for a monster pike, hunting what turned in to a pack of then monster wolf and then finally a huge bloody boar which was going goring mad. Did you get those options?

I didn't even have an incident involving his leg.

• Empathy 1

On 04/12/2018 at 22:40, Monkeyboy said:

I don't think I've felt so immersed in a game world. Short clip of me taking a short early morning horse ride through the woods. Everything just feels so alive.

I’m making my way through this at a snail’s pace (still only chapter 2), but I don’t get that sense of immersion at all. I’m very impressed by it all but I feel like someone from Rockstar is standing over my shoulder going “did you see that? We spent ages making that random little thing just to make the world seem more real!” And I sort of nod and go yes, very good, but it all just feels like window dressing for an otherwise pretty empty world. Besides hunting and cooking it feels like there’s very little to do outside of the missions. 

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m making my way through this at a dnail’s pace (still only chapter 2), but I don’t get that sense of immersion at all. I’m very impressed by it all but I feel like someone from Rockstar is standing over my shoulder going “did you see that? We spent ages making that random little thing just to make the world seem more real!” And I sort of nod and go yes, very good, but it all just feels like window dressing for an otherwise pretty empty world. Besides hunting and cooking it feels like there’s very little to do outside of the missions. 

It's all a bit Truman Show. 

I still think it's fantastic, but I just can't say I've ever felt the immersion. 

10 hours ago, Camel said:

Not read any of this thread so apologies if asked already. Why is the selfie camera option greyed out 90% of the time?

I think you have to imagine Arthur is setting the camera down, so if that space is not available (in a river, building, horse, water, off a cliff, etc) it won’t let you take a selfie. Spider-Man had it easy...

10 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I didn't even have an incident involving his leg.

I think you’re talking about different people. You meet the guy @Len is talking about out in the wilderness and he gives you proper missions, but there are a couple of other injured veterans in Valentine and Rhodes who you can just chat to without ever getting missions from them.

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

It's all a bit Truman Show. 

That sums it up nicely for me, the world is full of little dioramas that work extremely well for what they are, but we're very much aware that they're hand crafted individual moments rather than the product of systems coming together. I enjoy them, but it's theatre.

When you're off on horseback riding through the countryside, taking in the scenes, it's at its most immersive for me. Much like how Euro Truck Simulator is immersive when you're just driving at night down a motorway with the rain lashing off the windscreen, there's effectiveness in its simplicity. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I think you have to imagine Arthur is setting the camera down, so if that space is not available (in a river, building, horse, water, off a cliff, etc) it won’t let you take a selfie. Spider-Man had it easy...

I read that elsewhere, but it's greyed out when there are big areas of space all around. Guess it's just shit then?

16 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I just went into the swamps with Dutch and lanterns. Is that near the end as I want to play this for another hundred hours in open World at least.

Nope!

5 hours ago, MrCarrot said:

I think you’re talking about different people. You meet the guy @Len is talking about out in the wilderness and he gives you proper missions, but there are a couple of other injured veterans in Valentine and Rhodes who you can just chat to without ever getting missions from them.

@Uncle Mike

Aah yes, think @MrCarrot is right. My bloke is up by the lake you hunted the legendary bear with Hosea earlier on in chapter 2. Think yours is the the one you keep meeting who, like you say, just grumbles away and does nowt.

2 hours ago, Camel said:

I read that elsewhere, but it's greyed out when there are big areas of space all around. Guess it's just shit then?

I like the idea behind it,  but if it’s broken then they should have just given us a proper camera mode.

Do most people unlock fast travel early on? I'm typing this with one hand as I hold A with the other to follow a boring path I've been on dozens of times before, for about 10 minutes straight. 

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Do most people unlock fast travel early on? I'm typing this with one hand as I hold A with the other to follow a boring path I've been on dozens of times before, for about 10 minutes straight. 

I unlocked it fairly early but I hardly ever used it because half the time you're far from camp and it'd take you the same length of time to travel back to camp and fast travel to wherever than it would to just go there without fast travel.

• Upvote 2

PROTIP: ignore the routefinding and travel as the crow flies. You find more interesting random stuff and get to appreciate the spectacular horse physics on unexpected downhill gradients.

• Upvote 4

Just holding down the button and auto-following the trails seems like a waste. It’s loads more fun if you navigate manually without the GPS route and/or if you try to take them as fast as possible. 

• Upvote 1

Crow flies for me mostly as more fun unless I fancy making a cup of tea. 

I really do like the cinematic camera thing and I thought I'd never use it. Works really well.

• Upvote 1

I've just started this. Played it for about an hour this evening. First impressions are that the movement is clumsy, everything is ridiculously detailed and that the story and characters are already engaging. I've already been caught on a piece of scenery and had to restart, however. And in the mission where you have to hunt for deer, holding L2 to focus on the deer while aiming at them automatically made me walk forward - is that supposed to happen? Because it made it a lot bloody harder to actually kill the deer.

I found a house near the top centre of the map. It looked like it was inhabited so I ventured in.

Body parts all over the house and a hole in the floor. Smouldering limbs and in the hole was a meteorite.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

If you're travelling between missions, set a waypoint on the map, get some speed up on the path, hold down the cinematic button and you can put the controller down. In missions, you have to hold the run button unfortunately.

• Upvote 1