rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

24 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

Finally the guy I sucked the snake venom out of paid me back...I’m amazed he still remembered me tbh - I bought some hair tonic.

I bought the most expensive outfit of clothes I could find in the catalogue.

• Upvote 3

How are people getting on with the treasure maps? I’ve got 3 but only managed to solve one by pure luck when I happened to stumble across the cliff that looked like a face. That felt like a one in a million chance and wasn’t very fun, because I just happened across it.

I’m sure in the original game, the treasure maps also show a bigger, general area, so you had a bit of a starting point. Unless I was more familiar with the world in that game or something.

Anyway, these seems needlessly obtuse and could do with being s bit more obvious. Is there a way to show a general region where they’re located?

35 minutes ago, MagicalDrop said:

I bought the most expensive outfit of clothes I could find in the catalogue.

Volcanic pistol for me.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

How are people getting on with the treasure maps? I’ve got 3 but only managed to solve one by pure luck when I happened to stumble across the cliff that looked like a face. That felt like a one in a million chance and wasn’t very fun, because I just happened across it.

I’m sure in the original game, the treasure maps also show a bigger, general area, so you had a bit of a starting point. Unless I was more familiar with the world in that game or something.

Anyway, these seems needlessly obtuse and could do with being s bit more obvious. Is there a way to show a general region where they’re located?

Got about five on the go at various points in them. I love them and definitely wouldn't want them to be any more specific. I had a real aha! moment with one yesterday, couldn't believe I had missed it as was so obvious (to me). Still haven't got a clue on one of them which was the first I picked up.

Every time I rob a train I end up riding it too long and into a town where the law instantly recognise Arthur. This time I ended up in an entire bloody city and had to hide under a boardwalk.

Also, the quick draw controls are fuuuuucked.

42 minutes ago, JPL said:

I completed all the treasure map missions (of which there are around five or so) without referring to any guides. Some are a bit trickier than others but for the most part they show fairly easily identifiable geographical features and locations such as waterfalls and forts. The Face Rock one is probably the most obscure one I’d say as it relies upon you stumbling across that location by chance and it’s not terribly big so could be easily missed. Luckily I’d already found it and had it marked on my map.

The treasure maps in this are great and lead to some interesting little nooks and crannies out there in the world. Just keep your eyes peeled, be observant and explore thoroughly and you’ll find them eventually. Their purpose is to encourage you to explore and make a mental note of unusual locations and they serve that function well. Unless you want everything handed to you on a plate that is.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, JPL said:

Face Rock is a named location on the map you dingbat.

17 hours ago, JPickford said:

Not keen on Chapter 5.  It feels like a different game.  No freedom - just one mission after another.

Yeah, I was rolling my eyes at all of that, just didn’t feel a natural progression of the story. 

I just wanted to go hunting... (chap5)

Spoiler

On Guarma (or whatever it was called - I assume this mean to be the Bahamas) I only spotted a couple of parrots but was hoping for some more exotic skins... :)

It was an interesting change of pace but i didn't like the way that the impetus was taken away from you to progress at your own leisure.

• Upvote 1

Was in the West last night. Mainly to try find the legendary Elk or Moose or whatever that one is. I didn't, but in the meantime I snagged a perfect Elk hide then a somewhat unlikely perfect Bear hide. I was also fairly loaded on the horse with a bunch of other nice flat perfects, and so wondered how to get those and both of these big hides somewhere useful given out there is the arse end of nowhere and walking is out. 

Rob a horse off the path, maybe? Aha, some sort of farmhouse place on the map not too far off maybe there'll be a horse in there. Informs me it's a gang hideout as I near. Looks fairly big so I'll just drop this hide and start firing that will go well I'm sure. 

YOUUUUU FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIINNNNNGGGG IIIIDIIIOTTTT

I soon didn't have to worry about the conundrum of carting two big perfect hides about. Or about any of my other perfect hides either. To add insult to injury, when I did raze the place to the ground by going at it more carefully the second time I found nothing whatsoever of particular note there. And there never was a horse, either. Nor did I find that legendary either as I wandered back Strawberry way to try do the bounty there. Ffs.

I had an enjoyable hour failing to figure out how I was supposed to start the only remaining story mission, bumping in to random stuff.

Honestly, the fact that the game simply broke at the same time increased my enjoyment. (The following happened consecutively.)

• Upvote 1

So I met Margaret. 

:lol:

I also wondered what would happen if I just parked a carriage on some train tracks. Well, the train stopped so I hopped on and started to rob the train! I got a can of vegetables, a can of fruit and then got shot - $90 bounty for two bloody cans of food and I don't even have a can opener. 

• Upvote 6

On 16/11/2018 at 21:01, GoblinUK said:

I hope the patch comes out soon. I’m really loathe to do much in camp until it does. It’s gone awfully quiet in that regard. 

You're really, really not missing much.

• Upvote 1

Yesterday I completed Chapter 3 (I think I did anyway).

Sean...

:( 

I also played Dominoes against some guys - I was 6 points off winning and it looked like a foregone conclusion as my nearest rival only had 12 points. Then Cleve starts winning every game. He went from 0 to 60 in just 4 games. I decided to just cut my losses and leave as Cleve was obviously in league with the other two guys. Cheating bastards. As I got back on my horse, I lobbed a lit stick of dynamite onto their table. 

The Margaret side mission was brilliant. 

• Upvote 2

Story completed and credits watched:

Spoiler

Waaaah! ARTHUR no.... :( :( Total gits, killing him off... but it works so well and is brave in a world with infinite lives to snuff him out, so you can never play as him again. (unless you go back to an earlier save or start again of course....).

And Sean, Hosea, Keiran, Lenny (!! my favourite friend), Dutch going sour, MIcah the arse, Eagle Flies and Susan.

And Hawkwind, the biggest loss of all. My horse. I was actually so upset that my horse died that I nearly stopped playing for a bit... nearly, but was so mad I wanted Dutch and Micah dead by that point. (neat point my Arthur leaned in close and said "thank you" to Hawkwind while stroking her neck as she died - when I replayed that section again in the morning so my daughter could see the story we were given a separate horse - a default one and a default Arthur. When that horse died, there was no touching goodbye, Arthur just ran on without a care. Good! That wasn't my horse and there was no affinity between this cookie cutter Arthur and this default horse).

The good:

Storywise it's pretty good, pretty obvious, though I didn't think Micah was a rat (he's too much of a psychopath to be working for the cops - but then we all were I suppose). But it made me care about my Arthur - throughout I'd been hovering at the just below centre morality level (too many undeserved victims left in my wake). But when I got ill... and spoke to the monk and the nun in Saint Denis... well my attitude changed and it went well with my redemption that the story also altered the way that Arthur was behaving around the other characters. I am really keen to see if a bad Arthur has the same vocal misgivings about some of Dutch's behaviour.

I never liked Dutch - there was something about him that I just didn't get and felt that Arthur's relationship was too subservient to him. I didn't like the way he lorded it around camp and I was right. Always out for himself (did anybody go back for the money rather than save John? I wonder whether it would have even been there if I had).

Worldwise it's probably the most sumptuous living world I've ever had the fortune to play around in. From the humans to the birds and fish, towns with shops and people doing their own thing, picture shows, theatre, saloons, hotels, banks, stagecoaches, stables - everything! Not to mention the stunning scenery, the hunting, fishing, just riding - was there ever a game that needed fast travel less on such a huge map? 

The Bad

Very little really. In a game world so complex there was always going to be places and missions that didn't ring true (Guarma anyone?) but otherwise it all felt right.

Sometimes the speech got a tinsy-tiny bit repetitive, but the fact it was unusual when it did is testament to the massive amount of speech and interactions there were in the game. So much incidental chatter, snippets of conversation, differing reactions dependent on actions and clothing and... amazing. (Heh this bad turned into another good).

I never played RDR1. I know, heathen. But it was just one of those games that i missed, so the whole epilogue with John and Abigail and Uncle.... it was... fun I guess but it was also kinda boring. All I really wanted was to get Micah and Dutch, which it finally allowed me to do right at the end. I suppose it made sure my affinity with John was built up so that the after story I'd play him grudgingly to complete the side missions and collections missed. But It felt like a drag to me.

The Ugly

The controls were a bit of a slog to start with, but as I got used to them they just made sense - menus within menus. No problem there. I had maybe three times in the entire game when I accidentally shot somebody, usually at a very inopportune moment and when I'd left my gun out without realising. 

But the guns... oh god Rockstar why did you mess this up? If I choose to have these two pistols, with this sort of ammo and this rifle and this shotgun, don't reset my load! Don't make it lose my load when I start a mission, don't CHANGE my damn gun for me during a mission, don't stop me from being able to choose my gun after I've got off my horse. I really don't mind that I could only carry two pistols and two rifles (plus 8 throwing knives, a hunting knife, 5 fire bottles, a number of arrows, hatchet, tommahwaks....) but please please fix the loadouts. 

The bug didn't affect me, and to be honest anyone it does affect really isn't missing much. The characters don't really come into their own until later chapters, particularly Sadie and obviously you get to know Jack and Abigail much better in the Epilogues than you ever did as Arthur in the main game.

Fair thee well, you troubled soul:

683251788_RedDeadRedemption2_20181118001040.thumb.jpg.1eab563964c0bf1cdbe0e56df912e83a.jpg

Amazing game, certainly my GOTY and a certain 10/10 in my book.

• Upvote 6

On 16/11/2018 at 21:11, neoELITE said:

So I met Margaret. 

:lol:

I also wondered what would happen if I just parked a carriage on some train tracks. Well, the train stopped so I hopped on and started to rob the train! I got a can of vegetables, a can of fruit and then got shot - $90 bounty for two bloody cans of food and I don't even have a can opener. 

That's great, I'm going to try that carriage thing. I've only been jumping on trains from a horse so far, although that's a pretty cool thing to do. I did discover the other day that driving the train away after robbing it is a good way to escape the law! :)

I was in the swamps the other day, when my horse accidentally trampled a dog, but didn't kill it outright. So the dog's whimpering as it lays on its side struggling to get back upright, gasping its last breaths, was pretty sad. I stood over it, thinking maybe I could give it a health potion to get it back on its paws, but nope. All I could do was watch. After about a minute, I think that this dog's death is really slow, so I was about to unholster my gun and put it out of its misery when its legs gave one last little shake and it died. :(

Then suddenly I'm wanted for animal cruelty! Even though it was an accident. The woman from the nearby bait shop starts screaming and running for help, so I have to chase her through the swamp, rugby tackle her and threaten her with my gun to keep quiet. :lol:

Whilst the whole situation was sad and funny at the same time, it does show up how far we still have to go with video game AI. The dog's death was clearly an accident as he was running around my horse as I tried to hitch it. But the AI can't seem to register that.

Monkeyboy trying to rationalise his cold blooded murder of a beloved family companion by blaming poor game mechanics. Seen it all now. 

It's hard not to canter into St Denis on horseback listening to sounds of workmen calling out from the direction of the docks, conversation floating over the rooftops, people scurrying about the streets and not be utterly blown away by the fidelity of the world Rockstar have created. I'd say it's the most convincing 'other place' in a videogame yet made. 

• Upvote 6