Jump to content
rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, JPL said:

Right, I’m going to plow on with that main quest line, so it better open up into some infinite gameplay simulator very soon, or I’ll be taking you outside for a duel!

 

You’ve got to admit that nothing happens unless you progress the main story is pretty archaic game design these days though.

 

No, many open world games take their time to introduce their systems. This one has plenty to do at any given time and slowly reveals more things. You just don't like what's there which is ok of course, you don't have to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still on chapter 2 and reckon I could play for 50+ more hours without even doing another story mission. 

  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice for anyone who feels like the game lacks a fully realised world or that you don't feel like you're seeing much random or what have you, ride to your destinations off the beaten track. I'm travelling from one end of the map to the other, with a mission objective marked, and coming across lots of random shit in the wild. I've worked out in my head where I eventually want to wind up and just avoid roads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are people’s reactions to this compared to their reactions to MGSV? There seem to be a lot of similar issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The gameplay and shooting in MGSV is infinitely better than it is in this. I love MGSV. I like RDR2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

 

No, many open world games take their time to introduce their systems. This one has plenty to do at any given time and slowly reveals more things. You just don't like what's there which is ok of course, you don't have to. 

I’m 3 chapters in! How long is it exactly? How many chapters? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’m 3 chapters in! How long is it exactly? How many chapters? 

 

I don't know why you are continuing with this exactly. Almost everyone here has been doing plenty of things since the beginning of the game, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

How are people’s reactions to this compared to their reactions to MGSV? There seem to be a lot of similar issues. 

 

MGSV has wonderful gameplay, some weird systems and a cack story. RDR2 has cack gameplay, weird systems and an OK story. The most mindboggling thing is where they put their effort and where they didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Moz said:

 

MGSV has wonderful gameplay, some weird systems and a cack story. RDR2 has cack good gameplay, weird   good and bad systems and an OK amazing story. The most mindboggling thing is where they put their effort and where they didn't.

 

Fixed that for you. :P

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JPL said:

Right, I’m going to plow on with that main quest line, so it better open up into some infinite gameplay simulator very soon, or I’ll be taking you outside for a duel!

 

You’ve got to admit that nothing happens unless you progress the main story is pretty archaic game design these days though.

I'm mainly playing the main story but saying norhing happens outside of that is daft. I mean, what is it you're looking for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I'm mainly playing the main story but saying norhing happens outside of that is daft. I mean, what is it you're looking for?

 

He needs a "gameplay loop" to grind away for hours and hours. :D

 

Spoiler

b14iwifo7xa2ll9h9kbm.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Talk Show Host said:

 

He needs a gameplay loop to grind away for hours and hours. :D

It's there though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:doh: I hope so too. For many days I just hung out in the wilds camping, living off the land and holding up stage coaches. It's not Destiny or Fortnite with numbers and loot ejaculating everywhere, but that loop is there. I got a bit bored of it after a while, but mainly because I'd become a fugitive to the point i was wanted everywhere. But if all you want to do is go around shooting everything, you can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some bastards at the side of the road killed my DLC horse. I’ve lost my saddle and weapons too. I tried reloading but it’s still gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stanley said:

:doh: I hope so too. For many days I just hung out in the wilds camping, living off the land and holding up stage coaches. It's not Destiny or Fortnite with numbers and loot ejaculating everywhere, but that loop is there. I got a bit bored of it after a while, but mainly because I'd become a fugitive to the point i was wanted everywhere. But if all you want to do is go around shooting everything, you can. 

 

Even after the incredible epilogue the game keeps on giving. I have a couple of side quests up in the north and some new bounties. I also plan to finally track some legendary animals in a lengthy trip in the wild.

 

The way Rockstar shapes the story and connects it to the first game is incredible. So much care to these characters and knowing what happens in RDR makes all this even more emotional. Arthur is one hell of a character.

 

Also, I just arrived at Armadillo, late at night. The journey gave me the chills, exactly as I remember it from the first game. When I arrived, immediately the shit hit the fan. What a world.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Also, I just arrived at Armadillo, late at night. The journey gave me the chills, exactly as I remember it from the first game. When I arrived, immediately the shit hit the fan. What a world.

This sounds like exactly like what I’m after.

 

I’ll leave you guys to it for now, as it seems like I’m pissing people off with how I’m feeling about it. I’ll be back once it starts to pick up with my cowboy hat well and truly doffed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're not pissing anyone off. It's not perfect by any means, I think people just want you to enjoy it if you can as there is a lot to admire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

You're not pissing anyone off. It's not perfect by any means, I think people just want you to enjoy it if you can as there is a lot to admire. 

I’m honestly trying and I’m not sure what it is that isn’t clicking with me. I usually love open world games and rinse them as much as I can, so no idea what’s going on here. I am enjoying it, so I really do hope it grabs me soon.

 

No point me continually moaning or trying to explain why I’m a bit down on it though, so I’ll leave it for a while and come back when I’ve given it more time.

 

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully that’ll push me in the right direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JPL said:

This sounds like exactly like what I’m after.

 

I’ll leave you guys to it for now, as it seems like I’m pissing people off with how I’m feeling about it. I’ll be back once it starts to pick up with my cowboy hat well and truly doffed!

 

You are not pissing off anyone.:) We just want to help you enjoy the game. It's not perfect and it has its issues, but lack of content is really not one of them in my opinion (although I understand how you can feel that if you don't like some of its systems or the slow pace). If you are expecting content like an AC game though you will be disappointed. Compared to Odyssey is more empty and much less signposted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just started this. The slow pace takes some getting used to. Especially after Spiderman. I'm also struggling a bit with the controls but I'm getting there. I find Rockstar games always tend to control a little clunky especially compared to stuff like Uncharted which is what I play most of.


Can someone explain the wanted system? If I do a mission and a crime is reported it seems cops come. If I wear a bandana through the mission and then remove it when they come will they still come after me if I'm in the red circle? Or even just outside it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Talk Show Host said:

 

Fixed that for you. :P

 

Top Tip: For those who can't afford it, replicate the experience by chugging 14 pints of Old Rosie and imagining Al Swearengen trying to play QWOP with a two second delay while punching his horse in the head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just started this and did up to one of the first missions - where you raid Colm’s camp after he leaves. 

 

I can tell that I’m probably going to enjoy this, but healthbars for your healthbars, separate horse inventory and different buttons to search corpses and search inanimate objects really don’t make a good first impression. 

 

Also I can’t figure out the movement and just how much Rockstar want me to tap or hold A. How fast you actually end up moving seems totally up to chance.

 

I also don’t really get the fawning over the graphics, though I suppose it’s early days and I haven’t seen much besides snow. I mean, it looks good, sure, but it’s certainly not wowing me after the likes of Horizon and God of War. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, another three hours tonight - wandering around unfogging the map. Went right around the outskirts of the Northern part of the map, didn't really find anything interesting besides some nice vistas. A lot of boarded up houses and places you probably ride a long way to in order to have bad shootouts later. Found myself in cool looking town. Walk around being friendly to people. Some guy in a doorway decides he doesn't like me for no reason. I press defuse. He starts punching me anyway. I try to walk away but you can't seem to break out of (or defuse) a melee fight. I punch him to the ground and walk off. Go into the pub. Start talking to someone and suddenly the guy I just knocked out is next to me, stabbing me. Nobody reacts. I try to run out the door but I can't start running for some reason, and I can't navigate past all the dudes milling around. I press circle to try and defend myself from the man stabbing me. Arthur turns 180 and clocks the furthest bloke from the direction I'm pressing in the face. Try and fail to walk out again. The stabby man starts stabbing me again as a small room full of lads start grinding against each other awkwardly in a bid to punch the friendly honorable guy while he's being stabbed. I guess I could fight? I'll take the guy with the knife out and see what happens? Arthur turns around and clocks another bloke in the face, again in the opposite direction to the one I'm pressing. Six blokes beat me to death while I'm chugging cold baked beans and trying to walk in a straight line through a doorway. Three hours worth of perfect pelts lost, I'm fucking done man. It's goat simulator with delusions of grandeur.

  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 7
  • Empathy 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loved the "chugging cold baked beans" line :lol:  I lost a whole bunch of perfect pelts earlier myself, man that hurts when it happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.