rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Oh, for shit's sake I can't steal the wagon now. First time it was easy. Now it just gets blown up before I can get very far. I've spent around 2 or 3 hours trying to do/fix this mission now.

59 minutes ago, formallyhuman said:

Also, I was walking around camp and came across Karen who asked if I wanted to talk.

I think you mean Mary-Beth...

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

Oh, for shit's sake I can't steal the wagon now. First time it was easy. Now it just gets blown up before I can get very far. I've spent around 2 or 3 hours trying to do/fix this mission now.

There are at least two you can nick, one is easier than the other.

10 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

There are at least two you can nick, one is easier than the other.

Both of them are in the oil field. There was one in Valentine but I stole it and the mission glitched and wouldn’t complete. Reloading didn’t make it reappear.

15 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

Both of them are in the oil field. There was one in Valentine but I stole it and the mission glitched and wouldn’t complete. Reloading didn’t make it reappear.

I did it by

shooting just above the heads of the horses hooked up to one of the wagons. They just started tear arsing out of there and across the map. I galloped after them - they stop running after a short while - and took it to the mission marker

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think you mean Mary-Beth...

I’m pretty sure my Arthur has had conversations like that with Karen and Tilly (and I’ve hardly killed any women either).

Odd, I only recall having proper sit-down chats, where Arthur talks about what he's done, with Mary-Beth. The interactions with Karen at the camp were minimal in my game...

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Odd, I only recall having proper sit-down chats, where Arthur talks about what he's done, with Mary-Beth. The interactions with Karen at the camp were minimal in my game...

Yeah, it was as you described and I too was a bit surprised by it as I barely recalled Karen prior to it.

1 hour ago, formallyhuman said:

Also, I was walking around camp and came across Karen who asked if I wanted to talk. I said ok. Auther then unburdens himself, saying he's been killing animals and women. Like, it's a therapy session. Yet I haven't been. I have hardly killed any women and animals, outside of hunting for food. Weird and immersion breaking.

We believe you! Honest guv. ;) 

Started the game again. Have been enjoying it, but I just hit another example of the game punishing the player because of its own systems fucking up:

I was doing nothing wrong. Nothing. Then a guy out of nowhere starts shooting at me, I shoot back in self defence, and I'm the wanted man with a whole town turning on me?

Fucking. Get. Fucked.

This game's systems are a joke half the time. 10/10 my fucking arse. The media really, collectively, shoved their heads up their own arses on this one. It's a fucking good game, it really is, but there are so many blatant flaws that make it fall more than somewhat short of true greatness. But hey, the landscape is near photo-realistic, so yeah, 10/10. Twats. :coffee:

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 12
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I’ve had two long sit down chats with both Mary-Beth and Karen in my game, so it’s definitely a thing.

I’ve been playing pretty solidly since release and plot wise it’s maybe started to wear a bit thin.

Spoiler

Beautiful as it is the sudden detour to this becoming Uncharted felt really off and constant reliance on the action and gunplay in that area made this feel less immersive. Almost felt like a ‘anything you can do’ to ND.

10 hours ago, Thor said:

Started the game again. Have been enjoying it, but I just hit another example of the game punishing the player because of its own systems fucking up:

I was doing nothing wrong. Nothing. Then a guy out of nowhere starts shooting at me, I shoot back in self defence, and I'm the wanted man with a whole town turning on me?

Fucking. Get. Fucked.

This game's systems are a joke half the time. 10/10 my fucking arse. The media really, collectively, shoved their heads up their own arses on this one. It's a fucking good game, it really is, but there are so many blatant flaws that make it fall more than somewhat short of true greatness. But hey, the landscape is near photo-realistic, so yeah, 10/10. Twats. :coffee:

Why are you getting so angry about a videogame? If it makes you so irate, why play it? 

You are getting angry at a few little bugs or glitches in the game, but you aren't really appreciating the scale of the game. The game can be a bit finnicky as there is fucking so much to do, and so many systems working together. 

The amount of work that has gone into this game is staggering, and it really pisses me off when pricks on the internet tear a game apart where is isnt justified.

You just come across as a massive whining twat!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 8

I come on a bit strong sometimes, sure, because I'm passionate about videogames. It's my favourite pastime. This game's systems have repeatedly fallen apart and spoiled my enjoyment of what is otherwise a very good game (and I have said how good it is many times). But my ire here is more at the media that have hyped this game up as videogame's equivalent of the second coming of Jesus Christ.

It's not. It's just a good game.  

And here's a the rub. I reloaded the autosave just prior to that. Because all I wanted to do was head into the gun store to buy a Schofield revolver before going to see what Javier was up to in the Saloon. I couldn't buy the Schofield; Rockstar deemed it to be too early in the game for that weapon, and so it is "locked". That's some seriously old-fashioned game design. But that's not the rub. Upon visiting the saloon a big scripted fight breaks out, and Arthur ends up beating a big guy bloody in the street surrounded by a big crowd of onlookers, and a guy pleading with Arthur to stop. No wanted level, no bounty, no people in the street turning vigilante on you. Nothing. But if I were to do that outside of a story mission, it would be carnage with the whole town after me, bounty hunters searching for me, the lot. 

The game's systems aren't exactly consistent.  And it's more glaring here because of just how well crafted that actual game world is. The world in RDR2 is a spectacular triumph, and a technical marvel. But the actual game, the real meat, it's just not of the same quality. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, macosx said:

I’ve been playing pretty solidly since release and plot wise it’s maybe started to wear a bit thin.

Reveal hidden contents

Beautiful as it is the sudden detour to this becoming Uncharted felt really off and constant reliance on the action and gunplay in that area made this feel less immersive. Almost felt like a ‘anything you can do’ to ND.

The plot (and game as a whole) gets a lot better right after that section. Stick with it. 

• Upvote 1

Thats fine... we all get a bit irate, but it just seems a bit OTT sometimes.

At the end of the day, you know what you are getting with Rockstar.... you do have to plat by their rules to a certain extent, and people will either love them or hate them for it.

Personally, I can forgive them for it, as they seem to get so much more right, than they get wrong. 

Oh, and apologies for the rant.... I went a bit OTT myself there.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, macosx said:

Relax, thats’s Thor’s style, he’ll be singing it’s praises in 5 mins; with the thunder comes the piss sodden rain.

@Thor is basically Louis Litt.

source.gif.6cba4d108882423caf3f0e26994845a3.gif

11 hours ago, Thor said:

Fucking. Get. Fucked.

Not to have a repeat of the tackle-gate, but it looks to that the wanted state was trigger because you missed your shot on the aggressive NPC... so it would have registered as shooting your fire-arm in public, which always results in you getting lifted. It likely would of not triggered if you hit the guy.

I guess the solution would be to disable the "shoot your fire-arm in public" thing if you're being attacked. IMO, it's a small system anomaly and not really easily fixed, and shooting your guns in town does make sense as a crime. 

I had a really weird one, also in Valentine. I accidentally injured a dog by ramming into it on horse back. So I dismounted and went over to the whimpering, dying dog -- who's injured state is pretty horrible to see -- to see if I could heal if or something. The dog shortly died and I was 'Wanted' for animal cruelty.. so I picked up the dead dog and stuck it on the back of my horse. 

So, got arrested and spent the night in Jail for animal cruelty. 

As soon as I was released, I was immediately wanted again for animal cruelty! Immediately arrest and another night in jail. As soon as released, wanted again! and this kept happening till i realised it must be the dead dog on the back of my horse! As soon as I removed it, the cycle stopped. Totally weird thing. 

• Empathy 1

15 hours ago, formallyhuman said:

Also, I was walking around camp and came across Karen who asked if I wanted to talk. I said ok. Auther then unburdens himself, saying he's been killing animals and women. Like, it's a therapy session. Yet I haven't been. I have hardly killed any women and animals, outside of hunting for food. Weird and immersion breaking.

So this is a weird one. I'm pretty sure in that chat he only mentioned animals for me? I've killed a fair few animals before realising their pelts are shit/I don't actually need them but zero women because I'm not a fucking psychopath. 

Am I imagining it/did I miss a line or is that quite a clever thing the game's doing?

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

But if I were to do that outside of a story mission, it would be carnage with the whole town after me, bounty hunters searching for me, the lot. 

While the whole situation isn't great in how it handles it, this wouldn't actually be much of a problem really as you can just give yourself up to the first lawman you see. At the end of that clip where you retaliated and shot that guy you can even see the prompt come up to let you do just that immediately. Yeah, you shouldn't have to get to that point I know but you can mitigate the effect easily enough.

Just try and avoid if with a fat wallet, I rode miles back to Strawberry for no reason other than to do the above to see how far you could go with still getting that option (town was in lockdown, but I still only had a bounty of $250 rather than dead-or-alive) and they jailed me and reset the wanted level. And took the $250 :hmm: 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Thats fine... we all get a bit irate, but it just seems a bit OTT sometimes.

At the end of the day, you know what you are getting with Rockstar.... you do have to plat by their rules to a certain extent, and people will either love them or hate them for it.

Personally, I can forgive them for it, as they seem to get so much more right, than they get wrong. 

Oh, and apologies for the rant.... I went a bit OTT myself there.

I'm sorry but 10/10 best game ever (caveat it's Rockstar and their games are a mix of good and bad stuff) doesn't wash.

It's not that good a game. It's got some good stuff and loads of shit stuff too. The reviews should reflect this. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 12

Other than the fact the game glitched and I lost my shotgun and rifle, the other thing that annoyed me this week, was I was riding my horse into town and some dickhead just steps out in front of me and ends up getting killed. Cue me being wanted for Murder and having to pay another bounty even though it wasn't my fault.

It is hard to want to take responsibility for your actions at times in this game, a dog ran under my horse and I felt bad. I accidentally ran my horse into a carriage which ended in a bloodbath which I also felt bad about. But if the choice is dying, being arrested or killing these fools, well son, that aint no choice at all.

• Upvote 4