rllmuk
Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Ive seen a lot of comparisons with Witcher3 but isnt this more like MGSV in that there is more interaction with the envorinments and NPCs rather than the static world of Witcher? (I havent played this yet)

It's a great game that I'm enjoying a lot. But I have to say - and it's possible this opinion could change, I'm nowhere near done with the story yet - that Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't really some huge, revolutionary jump from the first game. Don't get me wrong, it's fun. It's an excellent Rockstar open world game, much like the GTA series is, but outside of a larger map and throwing in all the various side stuff, I can't say Rockstar have broken the mould here or anything. They aren't obligated to or anything, but you'd certainly feel they're capable of it.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, formallyhuman said:

It's a great game that I'm enjoying a lot. But I have to say - and it's possible this opinion could change, I'm nowhere near done with the story yet - that Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't really some huge, revolutionary jump from the first game. Don't get me wrong, it's fun. It's an excellent Rockstar open world game, much like the GTA series is, but outside of a larger map and throwing in all the various side stuff, I can't say Rockstar have broken the mould here or anything. They aren't obligated to or anything, but you'd certainly feel they're capable of it.

You're understating it. It isn't half the game RDR was. 

I'm gonna post here because a few friends i've spoken to over the past week don't know about the RDR2 app for your phone or tablet which lets you see the map in real time (incl. waypoints, random events, health/stamina bars etc).

It makes galloping into the foggy/unknown parts of the map so much easier. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

I'm at chapter two. How do I get to look at the ledger in the camp? Is it just after I've donated a certain amount of money?

You need to

complete Strauss' mission "Money Lending and Other Sins".

Bit slow at exploring the map as I'm taking my time. But just reached my first "proper" town, and god it's gorgeous and so atmospheric at night. 

I'll spoiler the name just in case... It's

Saint Denis

Still can't figure out being wanted though. Even for a $20 bounty, they come after me to kill me. I never get a chance to surrender.

I’m taking my time exploring the world by picking those little rectangle shapes on the map and heading there for a looksee. Often there will be something interesting to find like the cabin I discovered last night 

Spoiler

full of dead bodies in beds and a spooky green light shining down on the cabin! I guess some cults aren’t insane after all..?!

• Upvote 1

The crafting in this is shite. Yeah, I fancy split point bullets, I'll just sit here and watch Arthur doing them one bullet at a time for ten minutes. Cooking also does my head in, it takes ages (couldn't I just spit a load of  meat at once?) and you're offered the option to press A/X while cooking which does absolutely nothing whatsoever apart from show Arthur putting the meat a bit further in the fire and make your pad rumble*. Either make it do something with risk/reward or don't put it in.

What a weird game, such amazing highs countered by a load of complete bollocks.

*Actually it cooks a bit faster too, but unfortunately have to press it anew each cook.

• Upvote 3

I've had a really shitty bug happen to me, has anyone else had this?

I did my first bounty mission 2 days ago and saved the game. Loaded it back up today and my shotgun and reciever have both disappeared. I haven't dropped them or left them anywhere else, they were on my horse and now no longer there.

I've gone to the gun Smith's and browsed the catalogues and both my receiver and shotgun aren't marked as owned anymore. The fucking games lost them for me.

Is there anyway of getting them back?

Two questions:

- anyone else find the companion app map unusable on iPad because it drains the battery like its connected to an electric car?

- the Edge preview suggested alternative dialog options if the minimap wasn’t displayed - e.g. hints about where things were rather than just stating it. Is this still in the build?

Is anyone else having a problem with the rain? I was way out east in  a swampy area, could hear the rain and see it’s impact in the puddles around me, but there appeared to be no actual rain.

4 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Is anyone else having a problem with the rain? I was way out east in  a swampy area, could hear the rain and see it’s impact in the puddles around me, but there appeared to be no actual rain.

All I can say is that my life is pretty plain, I like watchin' the puddles gather rain and all I can do is just pour some tea for two,  speak my point of view but it's not sane!

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

I've had a really shitty bug happen to me, has anyone else had this?

I did my first bounty mission 2 days ago and saved the game. Loaded it back up today and my shotgun and rifle have both disappeared. I haven't dropped them or left them anywhere else, they were on my horse and now no longer there

Is there anyway of getting them back?

You have checked your horse's saddle? Got your actual saddle with you?

Also since that bounty mission another random horse keeps following me in Valentine that isn't mine. Bloody games gone all buggy on me. Gonna start manually saving before each mission now.

The controls are still pretty idiosyncratic, but I am really enjoying this. It’s intensely relaxing to play - they’ve nailed the idea of a pastoral fantasy of life on the frontier. The mundanity of a lot of the game reminds me of Uncharted 4, where they deliberately had this incredibly slow pace and very unconventional idea of how an AAA action game should be structured. It’s very slow, but I quite like that. 

• Upvote 5

On 30/10/2018 at 09:36, Glasgowchivas said:

Also, found the sleeves/open shirt options last night; was accessible and prompted from the start, I was just overlooking it when changing Arthur's clothes. 

How?

It’s annoying how a camp is set at some random location rather than where the player chooses to site it. Especially irritating  when I’ve tried to place a camp near a feature I want to look at in daylight (most recently a cabin containing a murdered family) and then just can’t find said feature due to the camp being so far away...

29 minutes ago, The Bag said:

How?

One of the screens in the wardrobe has a “Modify” prompt in the bottom right menu. When you choose that, if you’re wearing any modifiable clothes you’ll be able to roll your sleeves up, or whatever.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It’s annoying how a camp is set at some random location rather than where the player chooses to site it. Especially irritating  when I’ve tried to place a camp near a feature I want to look at in daylight (most recently a cabin containing a murdered family) and then just can’t find said feature due to the camp being so far away...

Put a marker down maybe? Not great I know.

The weapon switching is infuriating. 

I've got into the habit of constantly making sure I have the right weapons in each slot every time I get on a horse and double checking every time I'm about to get off. And still, they keep just taking them away from me and giving me whatever shit they think I should be using.

I wouldn't mind if it at least seemed contextual. Like nothing but a bow and a knife and throwables for a stealth section. But it could be fighting off a hundred O'Driscolls many of them on horses and the game will take away all my preferred long arms and one of my preferred dual wield pistols. These long protracted unrealistic shootouts are a fucking slog enough as it is, don't force me to do them armed with a couple of peashooters. 

I'm constantly just in awe of how bad some of the decisions they've made for this game are. Whoever designed the fast travel system should be beat with a bag of resuty screws. "Oh, oh but exploring the world and finding new places yourself is part of the fun". I agree. I love just cutting out on my own and riding around exploring. But I have a fucking job and various other commitments and once I've explored everything anyway it would be handy if every thing I do didn't involve a twenty minute horse ride before and after. 

16 minutes ago, Len said:

Put a marker down maybe? Not great I know.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

I've only set up a camp half a dozen times so assumed the times I was noticeably removed from the feature of interest I camped by I assumed it was a bug but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's a bizarre design choice. 

• Upvote 1

The start of Chapter V is ... well, let's just say Smitty would/will hate it. 

Spoiler

Push forward to advance storyline. Fuck off, Rockstar. Get on with it.

• Upvote 1

Any tips for horse back combat?  Any time I let go of the X button to move the camera with the right stick the horse slows down making me an easy target.