IGNORED

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Mr Do 71

1 minute ago, JPickford said:

It's LG.   I can see the on screen indicator. I just can't see what's different about the image.

I'd say it's an additive experience, if you play something that is very punchy like Sea of Thieves or Destiny 2 for a long enough time,  you might well notice the image looks flatter when you aren't in HDR.

A little bit like not noticing a game's framerate or resolution until you play a game where it is worse.

15 minutes ago, EvilBoris said:

I'd say it's an additive experience, if you play something that is very punchy like Sea of Thieves or Destiny 2 for a long enough time,  you might well notice the image looks flatter when you aren't in HDR.

A little bit like not noticing a game's framerate or resolution until you play a game where it is worse.

You’d think that coming straight off the back of FH4 and AC Origins before that, I’d be able to tell the difference. If anything I think RDR looks better!

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Try riding the next one.

But I really miss MY horse, 'Horseface'.  Can't believe it's just gone, spent so much time and care with it. I could call a new horse the same name and give it the same cosmetics but it wouldn't be the same. I want to know what happened to it.

Had a fun little bug last night as well. Wife was playing and heard someone screaming for help through the trees. Galloped over to investigate and ended up pieing her horse into a tree and sending Arthur flying. By the time she gets up the screams have stopped and there is a dead guy and horse nearby. No idea what happened. She makes  the most of it, loots the body, gets a bottle of gin and a pocket watch and rides off again. 

Goes no further than 500 yards before realising she's got some cliffs in front of her and heads back the way she came....only to hear screams again. This time she makes it in one piece and sees  the formerly dead guy is now alive and being attacked by a wolf.

Shoots at it and scares it off and goes to help him. Get the chance to offer him medicine or whisky. The guy rejects the medicine, screaming that he's bleeding out and dies before her, gets looted again. Double gin's all round! 

1 hour ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Anyone?

I wrote about this above, but I think the intention for no HUD is to set out on adventure and explore the lands. Not specifically do the missions. Every r* mission is basically head to dot and do X,y or z. 

27 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Your horse carries them all. Select the ones you want to use when on the horse (or stood next to it).

I know that. But when you're on the horse and the regulators show up it would be nice if you didn't have so many unnecessary weapons to cycle through to get to the one you want. I have three different repeaters now. A bad one, an ok one and a good one. I don't foresee any situation arising where I'm gonna want the bad one or the OK one over the good one. 

2 hours ago, Pob said:

Our very own @EvilBoris has had his HDR research published in Eurogamer:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-whats-up-with-red-dead-redemption-2s-hdr

Conclusion: the game in its current form doesn't actually have any HDR. The 'HDR Calibration Tool' is little more than a brightness slider.

So this explains that weird video someone here posted that went from night to day in about a second which looked like a nuke had just gone off then?

All a bit disappointing tbh but I'm sure it'll still look great when I finally get to play it (tonight hopefully!)

2 minutes ago, memories said:

If you lose your horse in this do you lose all the stuff you have stashed on it as well?

No, you don't lose your saddle upgrades either. You might need to go get your saddle from a stable though, depends on the circumstances.

7 minutes ago, Majora said:

No, you don't lose your saddle upgrades either. You might need to go get your saddle from a stable though, depends on the circumstances.

7 minutes ago, Cool Ben said:

I think so.  You lose it all if you die too.

:huh:

I'm sure there are some magicians in Rockstar. I am constantly flabbergasted how good this looks on a base PS4.

And as for the controls, yeah, they are a bit slow and cumbersome, but isn't that a kind of trade off for the amazing detail and animation. If Arthur moved around with the agility of Alexios/Kassandra (AC Odyssey) then i think you would lose what makes this game so special. And I've noticed as I've been playing it, that its kind of meant to be played at quite a slow relaxed pace. Just an observation...

TLDR - I fucking adore this game

Yep. Same for me, only place it creaks is when I go into the towns and there's a ton of concurrent shit to juggle. 

I would like them to patch it so Arthur's fast walk at camp would be available everywhere. Hate sprinting unless I'm being shot at or chasing something but sometimes his mosey is just too slow.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

What way do you mean? I’m really confused by all this. On my TV it really does look absolutely stunning. Easily one of the best looking games I’ve ever played. You lot must be seeing something completely different than me.

On the HDR thing as well. I’ve started this straight off the back of Forza Horizon 4 and I honestly think this looks equally as good, if not better. Which seems to be at odds if it really doesn’t implement HDR.

Honestly I don't really know what I'm talking about and I was just paraphrasing something said in that Eurogamer article. End of the day it looks fantastic.

20 minutes ago, memories said:

:huh:

Can't comment on the upgrades, not even sure how all the saddle stuff works, I know you can take it off your horse.

All I can confirm is that I have lost all the skins on the back of my horse when I have died and sometimes after a mission.

Can someone confirm that when you give them to camp or trader that they are there for upgrades automatically?

57 minutes ago, Raoull duke said:

My biggest gripe with the game so far is the character limit for horse names. I wanted to name my mare Hollyhock Manheim-Mannheim-Guerrero-Robinson-Zilberschlag-Hsung-Fonzerelli-McQuack but the game wouldn't let me because it's an asshole. 

It also would not let me call mine ShitHorse.

1 hour ago, Len said:

So this explains that weird video someone here posted that went from night to day in about a second which looked like a nuke had just gone off then?

All a bit disappointing tbh but I'm sure it'll still look great when I finally get to play it (tonight hopefully!)

No it doesn't!

Not quite sure what I should be doing with my hunting spoils here. At the moment if I kill something, I hightail it back to camp. I'm donating the carcass to the fat chef but I can't actually do anything with the pelts as I have no leather tools. I saw a trapper once but he was miles away. I presume if I just sell the pelts for cash then they are going to waste. 

Also when you mess up a hunt and the animal just lies there screaming. Not going to sleep tonight. 

1 hour ago, cohen205 said:

And as for the controls, yeah, they are a bit slow and cumbersome, but isn't that a kind of trade off for the amazing detail and animation. If Arthur moved around with the agility of Alexios/Kassandra (AC Odyssey) then i think you would lose what makes this game so special. And I've noticed as I've been playing it, that its kind of meant to be played at quite a slow relaxed pace. 

I think there's a middle ground the game doesn't quite hit though, especially in combat. I like the slow pace and the weighty animations most of the time, but I don't like the gluey cover system. If there was even just an option to move from one piece of cover to another without having to unglue youself from the existing cover, that would be a huge improvement. Or just implement the dynamic cover system from The Last of Us.  None of that would compromise the weightiness but it would make moving from place to place in tight combat arenas feel a lot nicer.

1 minute ago, Parksey said:

Not quite sure what I should be doing with my hunting spoils here. At the moment if I kill something, I hightail it back to camp. I'm donating the carcass to the fat chef but I can't actually do anything with the pelts as I have no leather tools. I saw a trapper once but he was miles away. I presume if I just sell the pelts for cash then they are going to waste. 

Also when you mess up a hunt and the animal just lies there screaming. Not going to sleep tonight. 

It's not a waste, they'll help you accumulate money - either personally or donated to the camp - that will eventually let you buy stuff like the leather tools. Plus they're good practice for making "good" kills that don't ruin the pelt. Shooting a wolf twice in the face with the shotgun? Not great Arthur. 

You can also sell them in towns at the butcher icons and the general stores.