Mr Do 71

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Single Player, NO SPOILERS. HDR fix out now!

Right then. 

So, I'm going to give RDR2 another go, and see if I can get over the controls issues I've had with it when I had it on the PS4.

I feel rather more confident that this will happen because I've just replayed RDR and I'd forgotten just how freaking amazing that game was (and still is).

God bless you Xbox BC compatibility. 

I honestly can't wait to properly get stuck into it, as RDR's controls are still rather janky, but it never seemed to matter, so I'm kind of hoping the same will become true for me this time.

If it doesn't, I'll probably die a little inside.

All of the truly hand tying stuff at the start gradually becomes less and less important anyway. Even its clunky old 2008 era cover system hardly matters.

Yeah you get over the controls. For me they added to the sense of being a hulking great bastard from the start but even that aside any issues were gone after 10 or so hours. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

Right then. 

So, I'm going to give RDR2 another go, and see if I can get over the controls issues I've had with it when I had it on the PS4.

I feel rather more confident that this will happen because I've just replayed RDR and I'd forgotten just how freaking amazing that game was (and still is).

God bless you Xbox BC compatibility. 

I honestly can't wait to properly get stuck into it, as RDR's controls are still rather janky, but it never seemed to matter, so I'm kind of hoping the same will become true for me this time.

If it doesn't, I'll probably die a little inside.

Try out these control settings as they may make the experience a little smoother for you.

• Upvote 2

So, I think I've succumbed to it's charms. Controls are still a bit of a mystery to me in a lot of ways, but it doesn't seem to matter now. The game's an astonishing thing to behold indeed. If it ever does come out on the PC, I'll be double dipping without any doubt.

Oh my. I'm not sure my first impressions of a game have been so thoroughly wrong. I can't believe how they've fashioned such a living world as they've done. 

• Upvote 5

You'll start seeing the smoke and mirrors eventually but it's still an astonishing achievement in world building.

Despite voting this as my GOTY I still haven't actually finished it. Think I stopped about halfway through chapter 5 a few months ago. I'm dreading getting back into it to be honest but I do want to see how it turns out. And maybe after this prolonged break I'll start appreciating the world again. I don't think I stopped because I wasn't enjoying it, it just felt like I had spent so long on it to the detriment of everything else.

On 20 April 2019 at 21:06, Majora said:

You'll start seeing the smoke and mirrors eventually but it's still an astonishing achievement in world building.

Despite voting this as my GOTY I still haven't actually finished it. Think I stopped about halfway through chapter 5 a few months ago. I'm dreading getting back into it to be honest but I do want to see how it turns out. And maybe after this prolonged break I'll start appreciating the world again. I don't think I stopped because I wasn't enjoying it, it just felt like I had spent so long on it to the detriment of everything else.

This is exactly what's happened to me. At the start of Ch6 and I saw there is still a good chunk to go. It's the most technically accomplished thing I've played by a mile and the mechanics are fine after a short while. That said, the content of the missions is generally boiling down to the same thing by this point and it feels too drawn out. It reminds me of GTAIV a lot, great tech with a middling group of tasks and a lot of repetition. I'm also finding Arthur to be unlikeable and a bit dull. There was a point where a character tells him that doing something bad isn't really him. It is, though, he's a really horrible person in his actions, so the 'tender' thoughts bits are just jarring and don't work for me. He's just a thug who ruins lives.

So far, then

What you look at and hear 10/10

The bit you play 7/10

• Upvote 2

I read that Polygon article over the last couple of days (!) and it's right on the money. Despite that I have enjoyed the game a lot, though for a mainstream game its length is absolutely ridiculous. With my limited time these days it's taken me 7 months to get through and I've not even completed the epilogues yet! 

• Upvote 2

Yes the controls are fucking horrifying, the dramatic structure is a mess, the game constantly holds your hands in frustrating and unnecessary ways while simultaneously not giving you the information you need regarding mission success parameters, and like half the gameplay is poorly disguised QTEs. The combat is only challenging because the controls and physics are like wrestling a fat man made of treacle, and difficulty is only increased by sending out larger waves of one-shoot mooks. There is no “rule” consistency; e.g. stealth kills only seem to work when the game has decided it’s permissible, and your weapon loadout is arbitrarily changed without warning. Look, I only want to use the Varmint rifle, and occasionally a bow for hunting. Don’t make me use a stupid repeater when I purposefully selected the VR because I knew there’d be a mid-long range gunfight in this mission.

It’s an astonishing game in many ways, but it’s certainly not a masterpiece or even R*’s best game to date. In terms of worlds I want to explore, it’s breathtakingly beautiful for the most part but exploration for exploration’s sake gets old.

The article is brilliant - balanced in its criticisms and gives credit where it’s due. I no-lifed the game for ages when it came out ... I’ll finish it one day. I think I’m at the end of Chapter 5. 

• Upvote 1

I've just finished the 'main game' and reached the epilogue. This has been pretty much the only game I've been playing since the beginning of December. I've heard the epilogue is quite long - any input on how much longer?

I am still enjoying the game but also looking forward to moving onto another game soon.

11 hours ago, Alex W. said:

It's fairly short and it's really punchy. It's got some of the best stuff in the game in it too.

It's got my absolute favourite story sequence in it and I am grinning now just thinking about it.

On 23/04/2019 at 14:30, christaylor said:

I read that Polygon article over the last couple of days (!) and it's right on the money. Despite that I have enjoyed the game a lot, though for a mainstream game its length is absolutely ridiculous. With my limited time these days it's taken me 7 months to get through and I've not even completed the epilogues yet! 

But there is no rush.  It's just amazing value for money.

My problem right now is that I am struggling to find anything new to play, every time I pick up a game it just feels flat and empty.

Blimey, just started Chapter 4 and St Denis is just as overwhelming to me as it must be to Arthur!

The game has just got progressively better and better. So much so now that it's vying with my beloved Witcher 3 for the best game I've ever played.

Coming from someone who gave up on it on initial release due to not getting the controls at all :p 

• Upvote 2

This is encouraging to hear. I've been putting this game off because I generally find clumsy control schemes hard to take after a few hours. But... I did enjoy a lot of the incidental stuff in RDR1.

2 minutes ago, Mawdlin said:

This is encouraging to hear. I've been putting this game off because I generally find clumsy control schemes hard to take after a few hours. But... I did enjoy a lot of the incidental stuff in RDR1.

The controls are absolutely bizarre, but in general the same as in all of R*'s output...god knows why they are what they are, but it's probably an area where the game's length just means you learn them by some sort of osmosis :p . Plus, there are enough things you can fiddle with in the control setup to make life okay with everything.

All I'll say is that if you can get over the hurdle all the anger fades into the background and you're left with something pretty damn astounding.

• Upvote 1

The HDR patch makes a big difference. Just killed the lights in my living room and played a full day and night cycle. Looks amazing. Proper bright sky and detailed shadows, all extremely natural-looking. Good analyses @EvilBoris

So, what does the new HDR patch do? Is it just letting you adjust the dynamic range available? I recall that the way they’d implemented HDR before implied that there wasn’t any high dynamic range information in the game to actually render out, just the SDR image “scaled up”.

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

So, what does the new HDR patch do? Is it just letting you adjust the dynamic range available? I recall that the way they’d implemented HDR before implied that there wasn’t any high dynamic range information in the game to actually render out, just the SDR image “scaled up”.

Pretty much what you said; Evilboris says it better in that vid. However I found it still presented a washed out image compared to the normal SDR look. You have to reduce the paperwhite setting really low and then turn off all your lights so that you're playing in a dark room. Great, if that's your thing; not great if you just want to play in a normally lit room like a normal person. 

I'm going to experiment more with it this evening. It's night time that I find suffers the most. Night is supposed to be dark, I find with HDR on in this game it's like turning on night vision - you can see everything. It's the same with Witcher 3's HDR implementation actually - turn on HDR and you'll never need to use Cat, oh and Geralt's hair changes colour. ;)

I stream single player games on Twitch and this is consistently the most requested, how long do you think it would roughly take to finish (I prefer to play at a slower pace and soak everything in) and do you think it would be an entertaining game to stream? I am slightly concerned that it would be a little boring to watch based on what I’ve heard from others.

18 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I stream single player games on Twitch and this is consistently the most requested, how long do you think it would roughly take to finish (I prefer to play at a slower pace and soak everything in) and do you think it would be an entertaining game to stream? I am slightly concerned that it would be a little boring to watch based on what I’ve heard from others.

With the caveat that I don’t think any games are entertaining to stream, I know some people like to watch people chill out and talk over a pretty laid back game, in which case this should fit the bill. 

In many ways it’s so dull (like during the travel between locations) that it feels a bit like watching someone stream it even when you’re playing it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Pretty much what you said; Evilboris says it better in that vid. However I found it still presented a washed out image compared to the normal SDR look. You have to reduce the paperwhite setting really low and then turn off all your lights so that you're playing in a dark room. Great, if that's your thing; not great if you just want to play in a normally lit room like a normal person. 

I'm going to experiment more with it this evening. It's night time that I find suffers the most. Night is supposed to be dark, I find with HDR on in this game it's like turning on night vision - you can see everything. It's the same with Witcher 3's HDR implementation actually - turn on HDR and you'll never need to use Cat, oh and Geralt's hair changes colour. ;)

Sounds like they’ve just got a built in version of my TV’s “HDR Effect” mode for SDR content then. Disappointing. Will watch the video later.